diy solar

diy solar

Growatt/JBD/Solar Assistant Monitoring

ChrisG

Solar Addict
If you haven’t heard, the latest beta of Solar Assistant can now interface with JBD BMS via USB. Super awesome for those that use this BMS. Pics Attached.

Attachments

• 1E1975DB-5922-4750-9AB6-711FD942805F.jpeg
    1E1975DB-5922-4750-9AB6-711FD942805F.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 91125256-4560-49BB-A1C5-C775B1F8139A.jpeg
    91125256-4560-49BB-A1C5-C775B1F8139A.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 83
That's great to hear. Do you have an example of a suitable USB adapter that can interface with the JBD BMS? Is that a USB to uART adapter, over serial, RS485 or something?

EDIT: I guess your screenshot shows 'USB to JBD RS485'.

What adapter did you buy?

Does yours require removal of the bluetooth adapter, or does it plug into a different header on the JBD board?

Can you still use the bluetooth with the Xiaoxiang app (or SmartBMS Utility) for bluetooth monitoring alongside?

Last edited:
If you haven’t heard, the latest beta of Solar Assistant can now interface with JBD BMS via USB. Super awesome for those that use this BMS. Pics Attached.
Mine show wrong numbers, emailed Pierre and waiting for response. @Samsonite801 Both my JBD (from jbd website) 48v 100ah bms's have bluetooth and rs482 and both run at same time. For double the money Overkill does NOT have rs485 - see here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/overkill-100a-16s-no-rs485-wtf.30495/ Using this Rs485 to to usb adapter, Joe.
1641509810615.png

1641510232234.png

Last edited:
Mine show wrong numbers, emailed Pierre and waiting for response. @Samsonite801 Both my JBD (from jbd website) 48v 100ah bms's have bluetooth and rs482 and both run at same time. For double the money Overkill does NOT have rs485 - see here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/overkill-100a-16s-no-rs485-wtf.30495/ Useing this Rs485 to to usb adapter, Joe.

Thanks for the info!

So did you have to buy a special plug to fit a connector header on the JBD?

Looking at my JBD 200a, I wonder if the RS485 are those 2 pins on the left here:

1641510856126.jpeg

Thanks for the info!

So did you have to buy a special plug to fit a connector header on the JBD?

Looking at my JBD 200a, I wonder if the RS485 are those 2 pins on the left here:

View attachment 78645
Plugs came with Jbd from Jbd when i ordered them with uart and rs485, u can also modify some PC power supply plugs or PC fan plugs.
Mine is clearly marked and the label says uart/rs485, yours only says uart, there are 2 pin plugs like for a Discharge switch.
1641512334381.png

Last edited:
Hey Chris, exactly how did you hook yours up? Pics please

I purchased the adapter from overkill solar. Worked perfectly. You have to disconnect the BT device which is fine. This allows true remote monitoring, not only within BT range. If needed you can also update your BMS parameters through your computer USB. Think i paid $11 with free shipping.

I purchased the adapter from overkill solar. Worked perfectly. You have to disconnect the BT device which is fine. This allows true remote monitoring, not only within BT range. If needed you can also update your BMS parameters through your computer USB. Think i paid $11 with free shipping.

I don't think my JBD has an RS485 on it, but it does have the UART that the bluetooth radio is connected to. I may have to do what you did and get the USB to UART adapters.

But on Solar Assistant site under support changelog it shows:

-Support for JBD BMS via USB RS485

Will Solar Assistant still work with JBD BMS via UART?

The other question I have, is does anyone know how the inverter (in my case MPP), connects to the Solar Assistant (Raspberry Pi)?
Is it via Ethernet with an IP, or does it also use an RS485 interface like the BMSs use?

Last edited:
New SA beta out today fixes JBD Bms issues, am able to add JBD and Gyll batteries on different Usb ports on SA and connect to them individually but since there is only 1 battery under Config tab I can't hook to ALL batteries. Have ordered Rs485 hub from Signature Solar but they are 10 days behind shipping. Anyone else have a rs485 hub and JBD/Gyll battery setup that can try to hook up batteries to one usb on SA? Thanks Joe.

JBD Hooked up
1641728599339.png1641728621385.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gyll Battery hooked up
1641728767320.png 1641728798197.png

I don't think my JBD has an RS485 on it, but it does have the UART that the bluetooth radio is connected to. I may have to do what you did and get the USB to UART adapters.

But on Solar Assistant site under support changelog it shows:

-Support for JBD BMS via USB RS485

Will Solar Assistant still work with JBD BMS via UART?

The other question I have, is does anyone know how the inverter (in my case MPP), connects to the Solar Assistant (Raspberry Pi)?
Is it via Ethernet with an IP, or does it also use an RS485 interface like the BMSs use?
My Growatt uses the cable that came with it from Growatt to usb0 on SA pi, SA list cables on their website - https://solar-assistant.io/shop
Don't see MPP unless it's listed under another name??
1641729581040.png

This is what Growatt uses - Usb type B What type USB port is on your MPP? Also above @ChrisG said he is using uart adapter on JBD Bms, Joe.
1641729637410.png

Last edited:
Ok, Pierre says no till more changes since can only select one battery type, see below, Joe.

Hi Joseph

Unfortunately I will have to add functionality to SolarAssistant to connect to multiple batteries at the same time. Even if you have an RS485 hub you can only set SolarAssistant on one type of battery which will only make it read that type. It requires quite a few changes but will be added in the medium term.

In terms of the JBD support, I believe it's not showing you the correct temperature (it shows 36 degrees celsius). I'll look into fixing that.

Kind regards

SolarAssistant

My Growatt uses the cable that came with it from Growatt to usb0 on SA pi, SA list cables on their website - https://solar-assistant.io/shop
Don't see MPP unless it's listed under another name??
View attachment 78945

This is what Growatt uses - Usb type B What type USB port is on your MPP? Also above @ChrisG said he is using uart adapter on JBD Bms, Joe.
View attachment 78946

My MPP has a micro USB on it, it should work with that I would think. I think MPP is the closest to Voltronic as far as Solar Assistant is concerned. Thanks!

Hey, guys,

My BMS JBD 300A has only UART which is now used by BLUETOOTH module, RS485 has no pins connected on PCB, there is no connector.
So the only option is to disconnect the BT module from the UART and connect a USB converter there.
I bought PL2303 , connected RED - VCC, GREEN - TXD, WHITE - RXD and BLACK - GND and then USB to Solar Asstant but it doesn't work.

SA still says error, I can't receive data, I repeat ....
Can it be wired like this, I won't have to buy

Many thx. Ondrej

Hey, guys,

My BMS JBD 300A has only UART which is now used by BLUETOOTH module, RS485 has no pins connected on PCB, there is no connector.
So the only option is to disconnect the BT module from the UART and connect a USB converter there.
I bought PL2303 , connected RED - VCC, GREEN - TXD, WHITE - RXD and BLACK - GND and then USB to Solar Asstant but it doesn't work.

SA still says error, I can't receive data, I repeat ....
Can it be wired like this, I won't have to buy

Many thx. Ondrej

What did you do to fix it?

Back