diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

A few questions if you have a moment.

If simply overloaded from constant usage over 6kw will the Rosie shutdown?

Can the Rosie use the AC input instead as an output to the main panel for exporting to the grid?

I see the manual says there’s ports for external CT. Would the main purpose of those CTs be for letting the inverter know how much power it can supply to the main panel, so it doesn’t supply more power than the loads are using to prevent exporting?

Love that midnite branched off of Outback to make better charge controllers. Also am really liking what I’m reading about the Rosie. Particularly USA made and the higher DC battery input voltage (65v).
If the Rosie can do the things I’m asking now or in the near future I’m sold.

The Rosie is rated at 7kW but can put out slightly more indefinitely. Anything more or at high ambient temperatures will eventually bring Rosie's temperatures too high and it will shut down then. Rosie can handle higher output powers for quite a while as it is.

Yes, the CTs are for the main panel to stop power from going out. We used to call this Legal Gorilla mode at OutBack, referring back to the old Home Power magazine articles about "Don't ask, Don't tell, just press Sell !" The external CT will eventually be operational.

In this mode, the power can go OUT of the AC inputs. Otherwise, power goes out the output or for for grid support or generator support

Rosie will eventually be grid tie. That is not hard to do but getting it right with all the new ride-through and UL 1741 SA and SB and communications requirements takes time.

boB

The Rosie is rated at 7kW but can put out slightly more indefinitely. Anything more or at high ambient temperatures will eventually bring Rosie's temperatures too high and it will shut down then. Rosie can handle higher output powers for quite a while as it is.

Yes, the CTs are for the main panel to stop power from going out. We used to call this Legal Gorilla mode at OutBack, referring back to the old Home Power magazine articles about "Don't ask, Don't tell, just press Sell !" The external CT will eventually be operational.

In this mode, the power can go OUT of the AC inputs. Otherwise, power goes out the output or for for grid support or generator support

Rosie will eventually be grid tie. That is not hard to do but getting it right with all the new ride-through and UL 1741 SA and SB and communications requirements takes time.

boB
Let me asking a clarification question: Say I'm using the Rosie at night(inverting with batteries). I turn on a couple of loads up to 12KW, will the Rosie mix or "combine" power from --the Grid/Generator with the Rosie --- or will it just passthrough the power from the Grid/Generator to cover the load? Still can't find a definitive answer on that.

Last edited:
Let me asking a clarification question: Say I'm using the Rosie at night(inverting with batteries). I turn on a couple of loads up to 12KW will the Rosie mix or "combine" power from --the Grid/Generator with the Rosie --- or will it just passthrough the power from the Grid/Generator to cover the entire load? Still can't find a definitive answer on that.
Sorry to modify your quote, but I want this question as simple as possible.
This is the question cheap 4-life and I have been discussing.

IE: 7 kw from Rosie and 5kw from the grid?
Or would it stop inverting and pull all 12kw from the grid?

Let me asking a clarification question: Say I'm using the Rosie at night(inverting with batteries). I turn on a couple of loads up to 12KW, will the Rosie mix or "combine" power from --the Grid/Generator with the Rosie --- or will it just passthrough the power from the Grid/Generator to cover the load? Still can't find a definitive answer on that.

Generator support is still being worked on. Grid support works now.

This has to do with tracking the AC coming in.

boB

Rosie would supply max of 7kW from the batteries (I think) and the rest, 5kW from grid.

So I *think* you are correct there. I will ask the bigger brains. :)

boB

Rosie would supply max of 7kW from the batteries (I think) and the rest, 5kW from grid.

boB
Please let us know, also if you can ask, how will it be able to tell grid power from another pure sine wave source, like an inverter generator or another battery inverter?

boB

Please let us know, also if you can ask, how will it be able to tell grid power from another pure sine wave source, like an inverter generator or another battery inverter?

Rosie either accepts that AC source or it doesn't. If the frequency and voltage from a cheap generator is varying a lot, it may not connect.
OR it might connect and disconnect a lot.

Remember that the grid is a bunch of generators

boB

This depends on how you have it set up:
1- In just basic inverter mode with grid present Rosie will close the Relay and pass through the grid up to 60 amps per leg
2- In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70% than Rosie will ignore the grid until the battery falls to 69%, During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid if that makes sense?

Feel free to give me a call 360-403-7207 XT150 and ask for Ryan. If you dont get me leave a message I will call back

If its in grid support it would do the 6-7KW from rosie and the rest from grid

It won't, Rosie doesn't care where the AC comes from as long as it's fairly stable and clean. If it's an older unstable generator you then have to switch to generator mode and you will lose support

Does it have digital inputs, so one could be used to tell it "grid" or "generator"?
With that, you can prevent backfeed by AC coupled GT PV inverters in the case of generator.
Also, you can pass through wider frequency and voltage from generator. Doesn't need to be held to UL1741 limits, of course.

Look at what Sunny Island does for generator and grid connections. Then improve upon it.

1- In just basic inverter mode with grid present Rosie will close the Relay and pass through the grid up to 60 amps per leg
2- In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70% than Rosie will ignore the grid until the battery falls to 69%, During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid if that makes sense?

Feel free to give me a call 360-403-7207 XT150 and ask for Ryan. If you dont get me leave a message I will call back

what if grid support was set to 100% Instead of 70%? Will the Rosie then never shutdown due to overload and simply allow the grid to simultaneously power loads on the AC output that are above the Rosie’s max output? While the Rosie keeps supplying its 7kw?

Last edited:
If its in grid support it would do the 6-7KW from rosie and the rest from grid
So the Rosie will not allow the rest to come from the grid simultaneously unless the battery capacity falls below the settable grid support percentage?

what if grid support was set to 100% Instead of 70%?
I read that as 70% SOC, not 70% of the load sharing.
As in it will do grid support until xx% SOC.

I added bold to Ryan's quote for emphasis.

I read that as 70% SOC, not 70% of the load sharing.
As in it will do grid support until xx% SOC.

I added bold to Ryan's quote for emphasis.
Yes 70% SOC is how i also read it. My question is what if that percent was set to 100%. Would the grid then (simultaneously with the inverter) always support loads above Rosies max 6-7kw output while Rosie continues to supply at max capacity..
if it can then all the homes loads can be moved to after the Rosie and whenever loads rarely go above Rosie’s max sustained output the grid simply helps and Rosie keeps on supplying its max..

with grid support only happening when the battery SOC is below 70% then the inverter could be overloaded and shut down often simply by short duration power needs that exceed 7kw.. if the grid support can happen all of the time (maybe by setting it to 100%) then the Rosie can supply its max whenever needed and if the load is above 7kw the grid simply simultaneously adds some power.

Halfcrazy said:

" 2- In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70% than Rosie will ignore the grid until the battery falls to 69%, During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid if that makes sense"

Yes 70% SOC is how i also read it. My question is what if that percent was set to 100%. Would the grid then (simultaneously with the inverter) always support loads above Rosies max 6-7kw output while Rosie continues to supply at max capacity..
if it can then all the homes loads can be moved to after the Rosie and whenever loads rarely go above Rosie’s max sustained output the grid simply helps and Rosie keeps on supplying its max..

with grid support only happening when the battery SOC is below 70% then the inverter could be overloaded and shut down often simply by short duration power needs that exceed 7kw.. if the grid support can happen all of the time (maybe by setting it to 100%) then the Rosie can supply its max whenever needed and if the load is above 7kw the grid simply simultaneously adds some power.
I interpret it as wherever you set the battery % grid support will kick in if 6k is exceeded, exactly as you described.

Halfcrazy said:

" 2- In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70% than Rosie will ignore the grid until the battery falls to 69%, During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid if that makes sense"

I interpret it as wherever you set the battery % grid support will kick in if 6k is exceeded, exactly as you described.

yes that’s what I think he meant, however there could be a max grid support percentage. Also if the grid support is set to 100% what if the battery is at 100% and the loads raise to 10kw. Will the inverter shutoff because the battery didnt fall to 99% to enable grid support?

Last edited:
Yes 70% SOC is how i also read it. My question is what if that percent was set to 100%.
The you'd never get the Rosie to support any loads as you can't be above 100%
Would the grid then (simultaneously with the inverter) always support loads above Rosies max 6-7kw output while Rosie continues to supply at max capacity..
This is how it works, but only when the SOC is above your settings.

I think you need to separate out operational modes, bot shove them all together.

When off grid, the Rosie can output tons of power, something like 40,000,000 watts.
Stop here.

Separate use case, separate operational functionality:
Then when on grid, with the grid up, whatever.
When on grid the Rosie will self limit to 6-7kW as Ryan said.
So, as long as the battery SOC is above the settings, the Rosie will do 6-7kw with the remainder coming from the grid.
Once the SOC drops below the setting, everything will be power by the grid, the Rosie will just sit there in pass through.
So, if you set it to 100%, the Rosie will just sit there in pass through.

But, if you set it to 20% and the battery is at 55%, Rosie will power up to 6-7kW with the remainder getting power from the grid.

Back