diy solar

diy solar

Hello and advice on RV battery project

rfguy

Hello all. I am looking for some advice on replacing RV FLA batteries. I am using 2 Trojan T1275 12V each rated at 150Ah /1.9Kwh each. I understand usable Kwh is probably about 1.9Kwh. I wish to replace them with a LiFePo4 4s cell pack. I have been looking at some 32650 cells at battery hookup $400/100 which would give me 12V /150 Ah and 1.9Kwh plus I would have to assemble. With 2 of these it would nearly fill my battery box. Another option is from Aliexpress has prismatic cells 4 each that would give me 12V 150Ah $454 (if I order from China) OR 12V 120Ah $454 (shipped from US ). I like the prismatic option in that the pack is 174mm x171mm x 192mm vs the 128mm x 160mm x 325mm size built from 32650 cells. My question is I have been burned by online vendors and I am not familiar with Aliexpress and why is there such a difference in price from ordering US vs China? Is there a months long wait for China? Are these batteries any good? These prismatic cells are not the clunky plastic one but look like they may have aluminum case with a blue shrink. Hope I given enough info for advice. Thank you BTW I currently have a Xantrex inverter/charger rated at 2Kw/80A charger that can be configured for LiFePo4 charging.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know anything about the battery you mention, but the Battery FAQ has some information about comparing batteries of different chemistries that might help you.

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know anything about the battery you mention, but the Battery FAQ has some information about comparing batteries of different chemistries that might help you.
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I understand the battery chemistry that lends itself best to 12V systems is the LiFePO4 also I like the safety margins with them. My question is more about the online vendor Aliexpress and the prismatic LiFePO4 that I am looking at. I guess it is a crap shoot and I will just have to take a leap on the purchase. Battery hookup is very responsive, I have not received a reply from Aliexpress so that does not bode well. I may just buy the cells at battery hookup and re-arrange them better since I have limited space in my RV battery box. Thanks again.

Back