diy solar

diy solar

Help i think I've got a problem

John Batchelor

Hi, I'm new to this forum game. just joined, got a problem with my solar system which I installed myself and had commissioned by a MCS installer, don't think he programmed it right at the time as within a week the battery FOX LV5200 went completely flat and had to change it's lower limit to overdischg SOC 20% with force charge at SOC 10% and force charge limit set to 60.0A which has seemed to be OK so far.

The system is a Solis 3.6 hybrid invertor RHI-5G with FOX ESS LV 5200 batteries jus added the second one four weeks ago and setup as manual master & slave, everything has been fine until we hit the cold weather Sat 11th Dec. Up until then both batteries were only charging up to 30-40 percent due to lack of sun. Have not set up for off peak charging so I expected it to perform in this manner until spring arrives.

Problem is, batteries went down to 6% and didn't seem to re-charge from the 11th Dec onwards, and all my spare energy has been going to the grid. They are fitted in the workshop were the temp has been gong down to -2 or -3 or even lower.
Since this has happened I have checked the voltage on the battery via the Solis unit and it reads 52.3vts, I have also checked that I am in self-use mode and that charge time is set to stop, but have just programmed forced charge allow to on from the grid today 18/12/2022.

I've also programmed 0 export set which it wasn't before.

Although we have had no sun today is there an indication that it is forced charging with the direction of the arrow on main panel, from unit to battery's as it still only indicating 6%, with 10wtt coming from the battery going to the invertor, or is no indication when it is forced charging.

My commissioning engineer back in May also told me that he couldn't programme the invertor battery type as a FOX LV5200 as that didn't work in his experience, is this true? and programmed it for a Pylon LV.

Today I programmed it for FOX batteries which in the listings include my LV5200. am i ok with this

I know this is a lot of questions, but can someone HELP please.

I'd say the cold temperatures are your issue.
Could you build a heated enclosure to put the batteries in?

Have you seen this thread?

yes we could but the temperature is now going up and have I programmed the unit right now or is there anything ells I should do. Plus is there an indication of it force charging?

Forgot to mention that the master battery has just the run light flashing indicating it is charging,with the slave first led 20% one on and the run light flashing indicating 20% charged and charging

We have an LV5200 which has now totally discharged due to lack of sun over the winter.

Hooked to a Voltacon 5kva charger/inverter.

Battery now wont switch on.

Called the Distributor. Useless.

The Inverter seems unable to detect the difference between generator on and off, and the solar panels (6x330w) just werent giving enough power.

To make sure panels were functioning I attached a voltacon solar charger which is working.

Is there a way to restart the battery? Some kind of trickle charge?

Any help appreciated.

Back