diy solar

diy solar

Help me choose panels: used Sunpower vs

Siamac

I've narrowed it down to these 2 panels. Similar priced around $0.20/watt for used panels from Santansolar. I'm assuming 10% degradation for both. The volts will work for my application both ways. (Bluepower ip 6048 aka MPP LVX6048 WP, 1-2 strings, shading issues in morning )

Sunpower 230w at $30/ panel- pros are that it's about ten lbs lighter and smaller, so easier to handle as DIY. Sunpower is top of the line in quality so hopefully not too much degradation, but I think these panels are around 10-15 years old.

Jinko 295 W at $50/ panel. They're newer, only about 5 years old. And bigger, which is good and bad. I need 1 less panel mount, but it's only going to save me max $100. Not sure about wiring difference between the two but presumably save a little on wiring too here.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• JKM295M-60 Specs.pdf
    397.9 KB · Views: 6
  • sunpower_230wht_spec_sheet (1).pdf
    113 KB · Views: 1
For ~$0.04/w more I'd absolutely go with the Jinkos.
The Jinkos will likely be more efficient (newer technology) as well.
The Jinkos have a lower VOC, this could be very helpful when it comes to your series strings size...

The inverter DC voltage range is 120-550 with start up voltage at 125, so the higher VOC is not a problem, and maybe even better for me, as I'm planning on 5-10 panels max per string. I could even go with one of their used 290W REC or Trina panels, but I've seen limited questionable reviews, so I'm not so sure about the degradation and durability of those. The Trina will be the easiest to mount for me. What you're saying makes sense. I wish I could check the current status of each one, but I don't have that option.

I installer friend says to stay away from Trina. He has had a lot of problems with them.

I think they’re still available, if you had a look at these?

I installer friend says to stay away from Trina. He has had a lot of problems with them.

I think they’re still available, if you had a look at these?

This would have been great, but it's long gone

What are your mounting plans?

For me, cost of ground mounting even with budget hardware like Brightmount erases any benefit of going with cheaper smaller panels. Big bifacials are cheaper as a whole system, even at $.50 a watt.

I'm going with cheap Ecoworthy mounting. Costs about $30 per panel. Comes out even for the sunpower vs jinko (save $150 on mounting for jinko but sunpower $150 cheaper)

Also got a ecoworthy sun tracker for fun. Cost about $330 plus tax. Might be able to fit 6 sunpower panels on it with some mods, but maybe only 3 bigger panels?

Back