diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

Man let me just say...

These units pull a lot of humidity out of the air

I have to have a bucket for now under the 12k because it's in my car port. It has been powered on for less than 8 hours and has filed up over a gallon of water in the bucket.

Spec sheet says the SEER rating of the DIY 12k is 28.5 up from 25 of the non diy? Odd

And the DIY has a service connection cover. Nicer.

Well I’m talking about one of these (not necessarily this brand). Ive had many mini splits installed and it’s pretty common for them to come with one or have a 3rd party one installed

Well I’m talking about one of these (not necessarily this brand). Ive had many mini splits installed and it’s pretty common for them to come with one or have a 3rd party one installed

As you mentioned, some mini-split heads come with a pump, some don't. Typically, those intended to be mounted high on a wall don't come with one because gravity is usually sufficient. In contrast, those intended to be mounted on the floor (e.g., air handler) or mounted in the ceiling (e.g., cassette or horizontal ducted) typically do.

NOTE ABOUT THE SMART LIFE APP

To connect

Open the app. Select Add Device > Large Home Appliances > Heat Pump with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

Like the Air Con app, press the light button on the remote 8 x's until you hear "de-de-de"

Once you have connected the Smart Life app to your EG4 solar AC, it looks and has the exact same interface, screens, features and functions as the Air Con app.

It seems all your historical use data is still there in the app

You do NOT however retain any cloud scheduling

It seems to load slower than the Air Con app

You have to create a new / separate user accounting from your Air Con app.

The Smarts Life app wil NOT connect if you are already connected in the Air Con app.

Once you open your EG4 AC up in the app there is no discernable difference between the two apps.
- the Latest Updated date is more recent in the Smart Life app, so maybe there are some behind the scenes improvements
- but Smart Life loads slower than Air Con
- it may be that the Air Con app is being phased out and so will not see future improvements and updates

So at this time there is no reason or discernible benefit to the Smart Life app IF you are using it just for the EG4 Solar ACs.

Last edited:
Edit: on second look, the new DIY units are not direct Solar, either...apparently
Yup DIY EG4 = No solar. Not even sure they are manufactured by Deye (not that that matters. Maybe / maybe not). But there appears to be differences in the physical form factor of both the head and condenser units.

Back