diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

Hey MrM1,

I got six used Qcell 315 watt panels today for my 12k ac. I am really pleased with the price and good condition. It is hard to beat really.
I am kind of excited about working on my little project although mine is a lot less involved than yours. I liked your idea about using bifacials, but I did not see anything I could use from the local warehouse. These should work nicely I think. They look really good to me.

Attachments

• Qcell-315.jpeg
    Qcell-315.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 10
Yes those look to be a good condition. You could test them, but if you threw them up and hooked them in series the AC will tell you if they are working correctly.

I'm still on the roof ? , so I can't confirm "Stand-by" power yet, but I am doing plenty of testing with the mini splits on the Grid and on my Inverter.

Here are some things I've learned

There seems to be some pretty large Room Temp Swings with the EG4 units. Like 2-4°F between when the compressor runs and doesn't. So set at 75, it seems to cool down to 73, but then it doesn't come back on until 76-77. @Plum Crazy Rob do you see this?

But other brand mini split owners tell me this is typical

2. It seems when on AC power only, running the AC Limiter Smooths out the first issue. At least it seems to so far in my testing

3. If if you switch to Turbo Fan Mode and you are using the AC Limiter, in Turbo Fan Mode, the Limiter Turns off. But you can run in High Fan Mode and it stays on

4. I've not tested the idle, but with AC power to all my 3 EG4s (5 tons) keeping my house at 77°F using the EG4 mini splits and just the blower of my 3 ton heat pump in fan circulate mode VS my 3 ton Goodman and 2.5 Ton Bryant 14 seer Heat Pumps (5.5 tons) ... on Grid Power Only, With similar mid 90°F Temps and conditions on Wed and Thurs ...

On Wed I ran just the 3 mini splits and 3 ton heat pump blower. My utility meter read this for the day

View attachment 152306

On Thur I ran just the 2 heat pumps. My utility meter read this for the day

View attachment 152307

The Dryer never ran all day. All other appliances where off grid on the Inverter, so this is just essentially the Heat Pumps VS the Mini Splits

I'd say that's a big difference !!
1686408198187.png1686408198187.pngthat is only600 watts/hr for five tons or 120 watts/ton. that is cheap, I wonder how they do on Heat?

View attachment 152428View attachment 152428that is only600 watts/hr for five tons or 120 watts/ton. that is cheap, I wonder how they do on Heat?
Heat....

That one sucks big time. Summer = good, winter = evil.

But at the same time winter depends on the mini split you have.

The ones I have that don't have backup electric heat are like running the a/c without the benefit of cycling since it runs the compressor harder heating.

The ones with backup heat are like running a space heater from hell.

The highest I see cooling was it 1800 watts or something. Heating goes up to a tad under 4,000 watts depending on the unit.

Some of the backup electric heat ones sit in the 2500 watt to 3000 watt range but some top out right under 4k.

Heat....

That one sucks big time. Summer = good, winter = evil.

But at the same time winter depends on the mini split you have.

The ones I have that don't have backup electric heat are like running the a/c without the benefit of cycling since it runs the compressor harder heating.

The ones with backup heat are like running a space heater from hell.

The highest I see cooling was it 1800 watts or something. Heating goes up to a tad under 4,000 watts depending on the unit.

Some of the backup electric heat ones sit in the 2500 watt to 3000 watt range but some top out right under 4k.
What size are you talking about? BTU?

What size are you talking about? BTU?
Also don't think btu of the cooling part. Its the size of the backup electric heat. Most have 10k btu backup heat. Mine have 24k or something backup electric heat on the larger ones. My small ones have 10k backup heat.

Got 35% of the racking install today. The rest should run pretty fast due to less measuring and having a "feel" for it now.

But let me tell you ... It is hot hot on that roof at noon. I burn my back side sitting on the metal.

But these EG4s are awesome. Even on just AC grid power, I'm showered and lying in the bed, 12k over my head, vent down on me, and I am cool cool.

I did over it a bit today on the roof

I did over it a bit today on the roof
You be careful out there, I gave myself a pretty nasty dose of heat stroke taking the 45 panels and racking off of a house last year in Central Florida with a metal roof.....in July ?

You be careful out there, I gave myself a pretty nasty dose of heat stroke taking the 45 panels and racking off of a house last year in Central Florida with a metal roof.....in July ?
Trying. I only worked til 12:30pm. Was pretty well hydrates. UV shirt 50 spf, good hat with brim and neck shroud. Breaks every 45, but

It's just hot

YEOOUCH !

I'd keel over doing that.

No heat stripes in my Hotspot either.
No need for backup heating. (What’s referred to as emergency heating)

no heat? just ac.
There is heat thru the heat pump. It just does not have electric heat strip heat and/or sumplimental heat. My understanding is (and from what I've seen) the heat of the EG4 is very hot.

By the way, they sold out of the 12k units at Signature. It looks like they still have the 24k though. I am glad I got mine when I did.

By the way, they sold out of the 12k units at Signature. It looks like they still have the 24k though. I am glad I got mine when I did.
I wonder if they plan to get more or if they are phasing them out for the new DIY solar model

So I just ordered the 12k eg4 solar mini split and this thread has been a great source of information, thanks @MrM1 . Just wondering if anyone can clarify something for me in the manual from signature solar it says the amps for the 12k for solar should be ISC <= 12amps adc. Also says array short circuit protection is 12amps. I am looking at some panels that are Current At Max Power - 10.92 A and ISC . I figured this was ok until I saw on the spec sheet for the mini split it says DC Curent <=10amps. Anyone know which value is correct or are they referring to two different things?

I wonder if they plan to get more or if they are phasing them out for the new DIY solar model
Are they planning to add a diy solar model? I mistakenly ordered the new diy model thinking it was identical to the solar model just with the pre-charged lines but found out quickly that it had no mention of the mppt controller and quickly got the order switched. It doesn't say solar at all on it so its not like they lied but would be nice if they maybe called out that the unit does not have any solar input.

diy solar

diy solar
Back