diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

With no inspector looking over your shoulder, would you skip running a ground wire from the PV panels to the main breaker panel?
Absolutely not.
This is the most important part of making it safe for people who might touch it.
It's not electrically grounded without it.

So are we now saying for ground mounts we are grounding the panel frames to the main grounding system of the house

Sorry about getting off track. I am curious how the solar panels you bought are going to work out on that 12k. I was thinking about using 4 to 6 on mine, but I had planned to limit the AC side so if the sun it not bright, I just won't get as much cooling. But if too cloudy, it would not shut off, but would just have less capacity. The only thing, I was reading you have to reset the grid limiter every day? Is that what you are running into ?

Sorry about getting off track. I am curious how the solar panels you bought are going to work out on that 12k. I was thinking about using 4 to 6 on mine, but I had planned to limit the AC side so if the sun it not bright, I just won't get as much cooling. But if too cloudy, it would not shut off, but would just have less capacity. The only thing, I was reading you have to reset the grid limiter every day? Is that what you are running into ?
yes unfortunately you have to reset the grid limiter every day, hopefully they can update this soon because im sure a lot of people would like to just set it and forget it

I plan to use 5 370w REC panels for the 12k

The 2 24k units will gets 7 each of the same.

I ll probably do same as u. Mostly DC, with AC on Limit. As long as you don't turn the unit off, limit stays on

Oh, I usually leave my garage AC on all the time unless I have the door open, so you are saying if I do not turn it off, the utility limiter should stay on. That will work out great for me. I was worried I would have to remember to reset it every day. I just have to set it when I close the door and turn it back on. Nice. I need to look into the used panels at Santan because I am only about 20 min away from their warehouse in GA. I did not realize we had a place I could get them locally.

Oh, I usually leave my garage AC on all the time unless I have the door open, so you are saying if I do not turn it off, the utility limiter should stay on. That will work out great for me. I was worried I would have to remember to reset it every day. I just have to set it when I close the door and turn it back on. Nice. I need to look into the used panels at Santan because I am only about 20 min away from their warehouse in GA. I did not realize we had a place I could get them locally.
Limiter? Yes it stays on if the unit stay on but goes in and out of DC AC as far as I know. @Plum Crazy Rob ?

Santan ... Awesome deals. Look for new, unused, surplus. Don't get the really cheap with glass issues, scratches & /or snail trails unless Ur installing in any easily accessible area. Lucky you their in driving distance.

Yes it stays on if the unit stay on but goes in and out of DC AC as far as I know.
Yep. I don't know if there will be enough output to Cool much just on the limiter though?? If you're willing to run it on AC all night anyway I think I would leave the limiter off.

Edit: After I thought about this the Limiter mostly runs about 1/2 of its Maximum AT MOST....So I forgot the real limit is twice that power duh. Should run fine.

Last edited:
Hey MrM1,

Is everything 100% finished now on your installation ?

I was just thinking, it seems like you said you have other solar inverters installed which is feeding the utility side of the EG4 air conditioner. I guess that would kind of make it more difficult to tell how much is actually coming from your utility for the mini splits using their app since it would not know your utility side is actually inverter fed.

Hey MrM1,

Is everything 100% finished now on your installation ?
Installation at this point:

All 3 EG4 Units are installed

- They are connected to AC power only at this point
- But I have a Reliance 510D 50-Amp 10-Circuit Pro/Tran Transfer Switch between the home AC grid sub panel the SW4024 Inverter and the EG4 units
- So I can manually toggle between Grid / Off / or my Schneider SW 4024 inverter, 18 290w solar panels and 34KWh of LFP battery
- All AC/DC disconnects are install at the EG4s with all connections made and done, DC wire is run into the attic to the AC breaker box area
- All DC MC 12/2 for solar panel connections is run thru the attic to where the Breaker box for the ACs will be located in the attic

Array install progress
- The EG4 units will each have their own Roof Mounted arrays: 19 REC 370w Twinpeak panels (7 for each of the 24k / 5 for the 12k - see pic)
- At this point ... I am preping the roof for the install
- Metal roof. I am replacing EVERY SCREW in the roof. I have run 750 screws so far, and have about 400 more to go. Then the entire South facing section of the roof will have new screws both under the panels and all around. Should be done tomorrow with screws
- Plan to install all racking, conduit and exterior DC cabling on friday / saturday
- Then all that is left is to install the panels, and connect it all in the attic

Here is what the Array will Look Like

My House Solar Array Set up.JPG

I was just thinking, it seems like you said you have other solar inverters installed which is feeding the utility side of the EG4 air conditioner. I guess that would kind of make it more difficult to tell how much is actually coming from your utility for the mini splits using their app since it would not know your utility side is actually inverter fed.
Yes ... the EG4s (when done) will be able to run on the Grid, or on the SW 4024 Inverter, or just off their DC solar input, or any combo of Off grid / Grid Share / DC direct at any time. Most of the switching will be automated from my phone.

So it will be difficult to tell how much they are "Saving" me in Utility grid power on their own ... but I can tell you, Yesterday was 94 degrees. The 5 tons of EG4s and just the blowers of my existing 3 ton and 2.5 ton heat pumps on circulate only, were cooling the house at 79F. At 94F without the EG4s, my grid power usage would have been about 35-40 kWhs, But yesterday with the EG4s connected to the SW4024 inverter off grid, my Utility reported my usage was 11.32kWhs for the 24 hr period. My 290w 18 panel (soon to be 24 panel) connected to the SW4024 inverter where powering all EG4s, Running all my loads (except dryer - which did not come on yesterday and is not off grid) and charging battery bank back to 75%. I made 28.6kWh s of power for the loads and charging from that 18 panel array yesterday.

When everything is done, the 24k EG4 units will usually be powered DC direct only and off at nite. Only the 12k in the bedroom will be DC direct and Inverter off grid powered.

how is that system working? and how efficient is it? i'm looking for one . i have two Senville minsplits and have had nothing but problems with them. how many watts do they use in standby mode?

Is that your set point or ?? Imagining it would go much lower from my experience..with the direct Solar, assume you're conserving your system resources at this point..
When DC direct is finally installed it will be much lower

how is that system working? and how efficient is it? i'm looking for one . i have two Senville minsplits and have had nothing but problems with them. how many watts do they use in standby mode?
So far my 3 EG4s have been flawless, but I have only ran them for a month or less (depending on which unit). In stand by (if you mean fan blowing but compressor off once at set temp) the app for the EG4s read: 24k = 40w and 12k = 0w. I think the 12k's fan runs on 15w

But I have heard it said about AC / Heap Pump / Furnace purchases in general, it is not so much the brand that you choose, it is the quality of the install that effects how well the system works. If you did a DIY, I am not saying you did a crappy install (your systems may be bad), But that is a general rule of thumb across the HVAC industry.

That said, I mostly like the EG4s so far. But no real long term experience. I think @Plum Crazy Rob has nearly a year on his

Gee that is really quite a large project. I am not sure I could handle that much at one time. My 12k was just delivered today and made it in good shape so I am kind of excited about working on my little project. The guy had some trouble getting past our live oak trees with that huge truck, haha. It was very sunny here today and yesterday, so I am scoping out where I want to put some panels. My back deck is quite hot and I am thinking about putting up what is effectively a shade trellis with panels on top so we don't get cooked out there. Plus, I would have easy access to the underside of the panels. But I have not looked into what all is required to make it code compliant and I don't know if I can do that. We will see.

Gee that is really quite a large project. I am not sure I could handle that much at one time. My 12k was just delivered today and made it in good shape so I am kind of excited about working on my little project. The guy had some trouble getting past our live oak trees with that huge truck, haha. It was very sunny here today and yesterday, so I am scoping out where I want to put some panels. My back deck is quite hot and I am thinking about putting up what is effectively a shade trellis with panels on top so we don't get cooked out there. Plus, I would have easy access to the underside of the panels. But I have not looked into what all is required to make it code compliant and I don't know if I can do that. We will see.
You might consider bi facial panels over the deck. Let's a little light thru but acts as a filter / shade

how many watts do they use in standby mode?
Uh oh. I realized apparently NOBODY checked this , and after 6 months of using one I didn't know the answer either!! Someone please check theirs!! 120W??!! Good news is its of course 0 in Solar only DC mode. And to be clear yes it's OFF -off not fan running or some ish...
20230607_195248.jpg

Last edited:
Back