diy solar

diy solar

Help with tripping WFCO tripping

The output from the Samlex (invertor) is going to the input (pictured in red). The inverter is just tied onto the Pos and Neg of deep cycle battery.

View attachment 43906
Your big red wire nut, OTOH, looks crazy and wrong (apparently interconnecting a black "hot" wire with a bunch of different neutral wires - neutral wires which must never be connected together, because they are possibly out-of-phase with each other.) Can you please explain this wire nut? :eek:

Your big red wire nut, OTOH, looks crazy and wrong (apparently interconnecting a black "hot" wire with a bunch of different neutral wires - neutral wires which must never be connected together, because they are possibly out-of-phase with each other.) Can you explain ?? !!
It just looks like that. I had a double take also.

Yes a 35 amp rated WFCO will overload a 300 watt inverter every day of the week. Besides that you do not want to power the WFCO from your inverter even if it worked. 12 volt items will be powered direct from the battery.

Yes a 35 amp rated WFCO will overload a 300 watt inverter every day of the week. Besides that you do not want to power the WFCO from your inverter even if it worked. 12 volt items will be powered direct from the battery.
Well, I do want to power my 110 items with the battery. I want to be able to use my electrical plugs when on battery and disconnected from shore. I do not want to use extension cords from the inverter. So, that's what I am working on.

So, are you saying instead of just turning off the converter breaker, just get a bigger inverter?

Here is a video with the WFCO converter breaker on. What you will hear and see is the transfer switch flipping to 12v, the WFCO fan kicks on, then the TV gets power, and then the invertor goes into a fault mode. This all works however if I turn off the WFCO converter breaker.

Side note - I swapped out the breakers to 15 AMP on the WFCO converter.

Well, I do want to power my 110 items with the battery. I want to be able to use my electrical plugs when on battery and disconnected from shore. I do not want to use extension cords from the inverter. So, that's what I am working on.

So, are you saying instead of just turning off the converter breaker, just get a bigger inverter?

30 amps@120 volts = 3600 watts.
That requires a big inverter and a big battery bank.
Big is expensive.
How much power do you actually need?

You have a power loop and bigger hardware will not fix that issue in and of itself.
The simple solution is to wire the converter directly off of the transfer switch as shown in post #5.
That way the converter only runs when you are connected to shore power.

Last edited:
30 amps@120 volts = 3600 watts.
That requires a big inverter and a big battery bank.
Big is expensive.
How much power do you actually need?

You have a power loop and bigger hardware will not fix that issue in and of itself.
The simple solution is to wire the converter directly off of the transfer as shown in post #5.
That post 5 is not my transfer switch. Post 18 is. Just for clarification.

So, back to my original question is turning off the main breaker for the converter "fixing" the issue? Everything seems to work when I am in this state.

Just because I have that much available watts doesn't mean I actually have to use it does it?

No. Just turn off the breaker.

That post 5 is not my transfer switch. Post 18 is. Just for clarification.
Yes but you can wire your model in the same way.
Your converter just needs to be connected to shore power in parallel with the transfer switch.
So, back to my original question is turning off the main breaker for the converter "fixing" the issue? Everything seems to work when I am in this state.
That solution relies on the operator not making a mistake.
Its a workaround but not a fix.
Just because I have that much available watts doesn't mean I actually have to use it does it?
Of course not. :)

Yes but you can wire your model in the same way.
Your converter just needs to be connected to shore power in parallel with the transfer switch.

That solution relies on the operator not making a mistake.
Its a workaround but not a fix.

Of course not. :)

haha, that is always the problem, operator error.

Let me think about the shore power in parallel with the transfer switch. The limits of my knowledge where passed a long time ago.

Thanks all........

haha, that is always the problem, operator error.

Let me think about the shore power in parallel with the transfer switch. The limits of my knowledge where passed a long time ago.

Thanks all........
That drawing makes it look harder than it is.
Those snazzy orange connectors are from a company named Wago
The series is 221 and the version is 612.
The 2 at the end indicates that it connects 2 wires.
The 3 wire version ends in 3.
Go get some of the 221-613s and connect your converter to the shore power supply.

And replace those wire nuts.
They tweak my OCD :)

These are good to have https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Cutter-Stripper-Stranded/dp/B00080DPNQ

You will also want to include a fuse or breaker upstream of the converter.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhhh! I got it now. Just in case of operator error (not flipping the switch), having the converter connected to shore power will insure there are no issues.

So, I was creating a power loop with the Samlex inverter.

Got it. You all have been extremely helpful. This winter project trailer build is done.

Now, its time to build a back deck on the trailer and install a AC roof top unit.

Somewhere here on the forum, I saw an automatic transfer switch that had a power out circuit that could be used to power a converter so that the converter isn't in the AC loop (of the main panel). What you need is an ATS with two output circuits.

Somewhere here on the forum, I saw an automatic transfer switch that had a power out circuit that could be used to power a converter so that the converter isn't in the AC loop (of the main panel). What you need is an ATS with two output circuits.
Well you could do that or you could just replace 2 of the 2 position lever nuts with 3 position lever nuts.
And some over-current protection for the converter.
Code:
This is what you have {
    wago_221_612_1 {
        |<->mains_hot
        |<->ats_hot
    }
    wago_221_612_2 {
        |<->mains_neutral
        |<->ats_neutral
    }
    ats_ground_bar {
        |<->mains_ground
        |<->ats_ground
    }
}
This is what you want {
    wago_221_613_1 {
        |<->mains_hot
        |<->ats_hot
        |<->fuse_or_breaker<->converter_hot
    }
    wago_221_613_2 {
        |<->mains_neutral
        |<->ats_neutral
        |<->converter_neutral
    }
    ats_ground_bar {
        |<->mains_ground
        |<->ats_ground
        |<->converter_ground
    }
}

Here is a (cheesy) drawing of what smoothJoey is suggesting (sort of). In the drawing, the assumption is that the 120Vac from shore/generator goes through the inverter, which doesn't always happen.

Converter Bypass Diagram.jpg

Back