diy solar

diy solar

High voltages damaged old multimeters

byteharmony

Sunny side up please.
I recently was testing high voltages 200 - 360V to debug a string issue (turned out to be an MC4 connector issue) using an OLD set of multimeters that had always worked just fine.

rotating switch to scale voltage: 20V, 200V, 600V
Another went up to 1000V

I love having extra meters around the house.

I was shocked when my 2 strings of 9 panels (40Voc) were over 500V. Especially shocked since my sol ark 15k maxes out at 500 V for the input.

It didn't make any sense unless I wired more than 9 panels together. Which I know I didn't. I had tested the first 9 before installing the 2nd so I couldn't have mixed up the wiring.

After about an hour on the phone with APSmart trying to find out a way to activate the devices to give me the VOC voltage (Options included a device they sell, a high voltage capacitor (I have one rated for 370V I'm considering doing testing with on a single panel for fun) and a resister), I thought maybe it's the meters. I got a relatively new toy meter (not a fancy fluke or Kline) and sure enough, the numbers were all in the proper range. Ran the wires into the sol ark and everything has been working dandy.

Since doing that testing, both of the old meters that gave me wrong results have given me wrong results on lower voltage tests as well.

54 Volts today came back as over 70 on both old meters.

Is this consistent with what you've seen? I was surprised when I didn't get any search results on this topic on this form. My google searches came back with a full page of people going over the rated amount of the meter. I did NOT do that. 9 panels in series even with temperature adjustment for cold which was not an issue maxes out at 360 V, well below the 600V and 1000V values.

I even made sure I had the correct scale selected on the meter.

Thoughts?

Battery is first idea.

Then try disassembling meter, wash PCB in IPA, dry thoroughly with heat gun.
Surface contamination could cause leakage, affecting readings. Cleaning has fixed new PCB we had made, due to solder flux. It fixed a furnace board for me, although I could not see the contamination.

battery on meter is fresh?
OMG!!!
old batteries: 70V
New batteries: 60.2V
BMS: 59.9 V

Same result with both meters. Even went back to the old batteries wondering if just a meter reset was needed, nope, voltages went back up to the crazy values.

I used to just wait until the LED display went dead to swap the batteries. Is this normal for newer meters?

You laugh?

But yeah, we do see goofy readings with bad battery.
Fluke notes that you can use a test lead from V+ input to current input to check battery voltage without opening meter up.
Some meters have low battery icon.

You laugh?

But yeah, we do see goofy readings with bad battery.
Fluke notes that you can use a test lead from V+ input to current input to check battery voltage without opening meter up.
Some meters have low battery icon.
I laugh largely at the humor:
Then try disassembling meter, wash PCB in IPA
Wash a circuit board in beer, is that what you meant by IPA
dry thoroughly with heat gun
Melt the items on the board with a heat gun

Surface contamination could cause leakage, affecting readings. Cleaning has fixed new PCB we had made, due to solder flux. It fixed a furnace board for me, although I could not see the contamination.
Re reading this, I'm wondering if I actually just don't know what IPA is and that you're actually being serious that the heat gun melted some solder connection and fixed an open / bad solder joint?

I laugh largely at the humor:

Wash a circuit board in beer, is that what you meant by IPA

It was only recently I heard about IPA as a beverage.

I considered cautioning you not to drink the stuff, causes severe gastric upset.
But I figured this is a technically inclined forum.

I've found IPA is more effective than DHMO for non-polar residue.
"No clean" solder flux is common for low voltage digital boards. But it causes enough leakage to affect sensitive analog circuits, also is a problem for higher voltage.

Melt the items on the board with a heat gun

Use judgment. Does your hair smoke when you use a hair dryer?

It is important that the board be absolutely dry before applying voltage.

Re reading this, I'm wondering if I actually just don't know what IPA is and that you're actually being serious that the heat gun melted some solder connection and fixed an open / bad solder joint?

OK, I'll laugh along with you and also clarify my recommendation.

The heat gun is to evaporate away any alcohol and water that you didn't shake off.
Yes, it would melt solder if you kept it there too long. I've reflowed boards that way, making prototypes.

We had a 24V power supply board that had been working, then stopped when weather changed. The "power good" sense signal drifted out of spec. I cleaned with with isopropyl alcohol and that fixed it.

But I have heard you can use Coke to clean your toilet.

What a great ending, all our Nerd stuff and then bang, great humor!

Thx guys, meters been working great!

Back