diy solar

diy solar

How did your solar fare during the January '24 freeze?

Another advantage of the wood stove is you can cook your meals on it. I just got done cutting all the vegges and adding beef to a large pot for soup that will cook all day on the stove. This will be my dinner the next few days and no electricity is needed.
Those are cool as hell …and under rated in simplicity and utility….
we wouldnt be here today if not for the millions of multipurpose wood stoves used by all the generations of the past.
if I could easily and saftly put one in my RV ,it would be burning now……

I have the same issue coming up with plans for PV expansion, 400 feet away, ground mount, my inverters are not high PV voltage DC - BUT WAIT!
as one of the guys pointed out for me, there is no need to change inverters, you can just add a high voltage SCC for the new array and leave the rest of the system alone.
Ditto on more battery, I got mine up to 83kWh and 15 kWh on the Pacific. I got room for one more pack after that, for 114kWh ESS total, then I got to either build a new rack (and find someway to fit it in the room) or live with it like that. (OR go V2L with a Ford Lightning?)

I find it a bit funny reading all the comments on 'cold weather' - sorry, can't help myself. I had a remote site trip Jan5-16 and it was - 49C (-56F) at that site, and windy. Arrived back to the homestead to -28C (-19F) which seemed pretty nice to me. Nothing froze here, but we are set up for real winter - even @upnorthandpersonal at 63-degrees North is milder weather than NW Ontario at 49 degrees North, but we get more solar!
We ditched the Propane 20 years ago, and heat the house and shop with wood we process ourselves. For my back up system we have a pellet furnace (not pellet stove) and the back-back-up is a chinese diesel heater if all else were to fail somehow. Our wood heat needs recirculation and we rely on the solar/batteries for this. Nov-Dec I needed the utility to prop-up the solar collected each day - especially during that two weeks of cloudy weather you guys all had too. Since Jan 15 we are back on the positive side, solar collected runs all the loads except EV charging.
I am going to add a ducted minisplit for the summer and shoulder (spring/fall) seasons, you guys have convienced me!
I do know, and I think most of us southerners know, that what we're getting is nothing compared to the frozen north. In our defense, nothing down here is built for that kind of weather. Including me! I worked in relatively cold conditions when I was in my late teens, early twenties. Some zero or a little below zero conditions, which is still not as cold as y'all but it's plenty cold for me. But at least I have some exposure to it. But you get acclimated wherever you are to some extent. My wife moved here from the Madison area in 97. She would walk around up there in below zero temps in a jacket and not even zip it when I went to visit. I would be wearing every piece of clothing I owned and any I could steal and still my teeth were chattering. Now when it gets to 40 degrees here she's in a heavy coat.

I don't think you'll regret the mini-split. You already know it's not going to keep the house warm when it's -49F so I think it will meet or exceed your expectations.

if I could easily and saftly put one in my RV ,it would be burning now…
search for the tiny ones built for boats, like the Dickinson-Newport or the Tiny Woodstove
or look for the wood pellet stoves designed for boats - they use super small chimney and are very compact.
I have seen a few RV guys post vids on wood or pellet stoves in their rigs.

Edit: oh yeah and the Sardine wood stove is the other one

search for the tiny ones built for boats, like the Dickinson-Newport or the Tiny Woodstove
or look for the wood pellet stoves designed for boats - they use super small chimney and are very compact.
I have seen a few RV guys post vids on wood or pellet stoves in their rigs.
I have seen those… some are cool , but I’m talking about the larger heavy ones that have room for a pot or two and use bigger wood…similar to the one pictured… the real old old fashioned ones… I bought like 5 right before Y2K as an investment…uhh …that sorta didn’t work out like I thought…sold em all in 2001 at a loss ….I shoulda kept one..

I have seen those… some are cool , but I’m talking about the larger heavy ones that have room for a pot or two and use bigger wood…similar to the one pictured… the real old old fashioned ones… I bought like 5 right before Y2K as an investment…uhh …that sorta didn’t work out like I thought…sold em all in 2001 at a loss ….I shoulda kept one..

You can still get good functional wood cookstoves new.. been using this one for over 10 years now and all cooking done on it during winter months. Stove is kept running 24/7 for many months.
1705720494872.png

how much space you got?
The old vertical type ones - we called these Queen heaters when I was a kid about 100 years ago, they take the firewood vertical so it doen't take up as much space in a room... yeah the bad thing is ya gotta lift the pot outta the way to put some more wood in.
The other name for these was a railroad stove - I guess they fit in rail cars better ? or a Pot-Belly stove.

You can still get good functional wood cookstoves new.. been using this one for over 10 years now and all cooking done on it during winter months. Stove is kept running 24/7 for many months.
View attachment 190059
I love it ….
View attachment 190059
I love that… my granny had similar type unit when I was a boy…but I dont think that would quite fit in my RV.
if I ever build a cabin on this land I will have somthing of this nature…

Solar was awesome. My house not so much. But that's a long story.

But regarding solar, when there sun was out my house did well.

Passive solar- perfect example-today the high was 33. My living room AC is set to 62 yet the inside temperature got up to 74 degrees just using south facing radiant panels aka windows

On Wednesday for the first time ever I decided to see what my system could actually produce by exporting to the grid when the batteries got full and was shocked at 70kwh out of 11.2kw of panels.

On the one day of the freeze where there was no sun I used 175kwh and the panels only produced 6kwh. With "only" 57 kWh of batteries I realize now that I'm going to need a pretty big backup generator to survive winter storms.

how much space you got?
The old vertical type ones - we called these Queen heaters when I was a kid about 100 years ago, they take the firewood vertical so it doen't take up as much space in a room... yeah the bad thing is ya gotta lift the pot outta the way to put some more wood in.
The other name for these was a railroad stove - I guess they fit in rail cars better ? or a Pot-Belly stove.
Haaaa… I could probable make one work as it’s 35 ft…and opens up to 14 Ft wide when slides are out..but theres one issue that would bother me…
RV people joke about what does RV really mean…?…it mean REAL VOLATILE…..!

it means they are made from the equivalent of “ fat wood….cedar kindlin …light wood, ..fire starter logs” ..these things can’t wait to find an ignition source if you arnt carefull …Yeow.

a decent size boat made of traditional materials would be much safer but still a bit spooky to me.

you literally could recycle everything in a RV except the frame into small pieces of fire starter for your next camping trip …..
the stove may happen one day ,but it will be in a cabin …J.

theres one issue that would bother me…
I have to agree,
I have thought about the small Pellet stoves built for RV's though,
Looked at the one made by United States Stove Company that has combustion air and direct venting directly throught the wall - was designed for RV installation, I can't recall if 120vAC or 12vDC. Safe to use in the RV I feel.

I have to agree,
I have thought about the small Pellet stoves built for RV's though,
Looked at the one made by United States Stove Company that has combustion air and direct venting directly throught the wall - was designed for RV installation, I can't recall if 120vAC or 12vDC. Safe to use in the RV I feel.
I don’t disagree that one couldn’t… I know I could fabricate an area of protection materials for one as there plenty of room since I removed the drum kit…

but I’m up to my eye balls in developing this solar stuff to do the job going forward…
This winter has taught me a lot of what need to focus on..
BASICALLY said , many more panels , Battery’s, inverters / chargers , SCC , Wire, fuses, tools ,panel ground mounts, SPD’s ,combiner boxes, Bussbars, breakers , disconnects ……..Haa.

PLUS anything else that has blue or blinking lights of any color ..that’s a biggie….

J.

Just curious how everyone's solar and/or batteries did/is doing during this last freeze. I'll start. Mine didn't.

Let me preface this by pointing out I am heating and cooling about 4,000 sf and of that about 3000 sf has 10 ft ceilings. So, if you compare to typical 8 ft ceilings and go by cubic feet it's closer to 5000. That's a lot to cover with the size system I have. (System size in my signature.)

Last Saturday night it only got down to around 35 degrees but when I got up my batteries were down to 16%. With predicted temps in the mid-teens and little sun I realized this is not going to work. So rather than fight with it I just switched everything back to grid. My thinking was run it all on grid with the whole house gen as primary backup. Then get my batteries back to 100% and let them sit there as secondary backup. This turned out to be a good decision.

The two worst days here were Monday and Tuesday. I used 160 kwh and 180 kwh respectively. Any solar contributions would have been a drop in the bucket. Now, I know I'll get some of the typical responses about such massive usage but reference the square footage I'm heating above. It just takes a lot of BTUs, even with a very efficient home and heat pumps. From my perspective it wasn't bad. Last year during the Jan '23 freeze and similar conditions my usage was 230 kwh on the worst day and I wasn't heating the garage then, which is another 440 sq ft or thereabouts. The Mitsubishis get all the credit on that reduction - I'll circle back to that.

This was my first winter freeze since switching most of the house over to solar so it was definitely a learning experience. What did I learn? Not really anything I wasn't expecting but perhaps still a wakeup call. If I ever truly wanted to be close to off grid I'd need to add more panels and a LOT more batteries. My little 60 kwh bank doesn't even come close. While I could certainly lower the thermostat and do some other stuff to cut my usage quite a bit, I don't see any way to get down to a level that would allow the current system to cover my needs. I was already planning on bumping the batteries up to 120 kwh. Now I'm leaning towards mimicking @timselectric's plan and going closer to 200 kwh. I wouldn't even consider this if it weren't for the ongoing drop in battery prices. I'm starting to think it's doable. It likely still wouldn't carry me through a cold spell like this one, but it would get a lot closer.

The other part of the equation is production. Let's face it - when it's cloudy all day for days adding a bunch more panels may not have much of an impact and there's certainly an issue of diminishing returns on that investment. I do need to add more, if only to cover the summer needs. I was close to covering the needs in the summer, even when it was over 110 F. So I'm still thinking adding another 7k or so of panel production would be a good move. The negative is the only place I would be willing to add them is the north facing roof of the shop. Even though there is little slope on the roof, in the winter those panels are going to be anemic in production.

Back to the heat pumps. I was once again impressed with the Mitsubishi. Not only because the consumption was less but they kept the house toasty throughout the freezing temps. Last year we had some 10 year old Luxaire units that ran 24/7 and still the bedrooms wouldn't hold above about 62 degrees. This year the house stayed around 72 degrees and the garage was at 70 with very little in the way of problems. I did see a drop Wednesday morning when it was still 16 degrees on one of the units for about 3 hours. I talked to my HVAC buddy who installed them and we decided it was likely in a heavy defrost cycle. That seems likely since it eventually recovered, but it was warming up outside at the same time so I'm not 100% sure on that. Even during this the inside temp only dropped about 4 degrees in the bedrooms serviced by this unit. I'm gonna call it a huge win on upgrading to the high efficiency heat pumps.

Other than that, we didn't have many issues. I had a hot water line freeze up but I managed to get it thawed and re-wrapped then let the water drip. Also had a line freeze that supplies water to one of the pastures but it didn't burst so I got that thawed and did a little work on insulation so hopefully it's good. I still haven't switched back to solar since it's supposed to be cloudy and back down in the 20s at night Friday and Saturday nights. If it's okay with y'all, I'm done with freezing temps for this winter. Spring can come along anytime now and I'll be happy!

One other note on my batteries. I've had a problem with two of them not getting back to 100% for months now. Something like 87-88% and only three lights on the panel. With them sitting idle and soaking for a few days they are all back to four lights. I need to hook up my laptop and see what the actual level of charge is, but the float charge seems to have helped them.

I feel like DIY solar is still a little bit of the wild west and we're all learning as we go. I can't help but think the time, effort and money we're all putting into it now will only help us and others going forward.

So how did you do during the freeze? Any good stories? Any suggestions or comments?

Stay safe and stay warm out there.
Still cold here. Well I consider 11 cold.

The battery has been able to keep up.
Today we actually broke 100KWh on the array so battery got a good hit.

If everyday was like that then no issues.

I too am using 80-120kwh a day depending on temperature.

It’s tough with no sun but when the sun is out no problem here.

It’s always about paneling for winter then way overproduce in summer.

I think it's worth more investigating on my end. It would solve more than one problem.

My house roof is close to a 12/12 pitch. I wouldn't go roof mount on the house anyway but definitely not on that.

Didn't you run something like 400' to your panels? Or am I thinking of someone else?
420 feet one way distance. I'm putting another 7400W array back there on the opposite side of the shed, that is mainly for the shop. I intend to switch where power goes if needed.

VMP on the strings is around 360V. I've checked VOC during extreme cold and have not approached the 450V operating limit. SCC's are rated at 500VOC. 10AWG wire from array to house. With good sun, not unusual to pull full power from the array.

Haaaa… I could probable make one work as it’s 35 ft…and opens up to 14 Ft wide when slides are out..but theres one issue that would bother me…

it means they are made from the equivalent of “ fat wood….cedar kindlin …light wood, ..fire starter logs” ..these things can’t wait to find an ignition source if you arnt carefull …Yeow.

a decent size boat made of traditional materials would be much safer but still a bit spooky to me.

you literally could recycle everything in a RV except the frame into small pieces of fire starter for your next camping trip …..
the stove may happen one day ,but it will be in a cabin …J.
Very wise. RV's and most mobile homes are not the place for a wood stove. Inevitably some of the wood I burn will send sparks shooting like a Roman Candle when the door is opened to feed in wood. With a concrete floor in front of my stove, and a wary eye to ensure that no combustibles are left about, it is relatively safe.

Solar was awesome. My house not so much. But that's a long story.

But regarding solar, when there sun was out my house did well.

Passive solar- perfect example-today the high was 33. My living room AC is set to 62 yet the inside temperature got up to 74 degrees just using south facing radiant panels aka windows

On Wednesday for the first time ever I decided to see what my system could actually produce by exporting to the grid when the batteries got full and was shocked at 70kwh out of 11.2kw of panels.

On the one day of the freeze where there was no sun I used 175kwh and the panels only produced 6kwh. With "only" 57 kWh of batteries I realize now that I'm going to need a pretty big backup generator to survive winter storms.
That's way better production than I'm getting but it's mostly the flar roof of the shop.

Similar situation on the winter storms. I already have the gen, 27 kw Generac. So I have to decide how far I want to go with batteries. The addiction is real.

That's way better production than I'm getting but it's mostly the flar roof of the shop.

Similar situation on the winter storms. I already have the gen, 27 kw Generac. So I have to decide how far I want to go with batteries. The addiction is real.
Lol I hear you. Especially when we can diy batteries so inexpensively its tempting to keep adding, but with the gen already in place I don't know how much more batteries would help. Is this generator gas, propane, or diesel?

Second round of cold.
It's 4°F with a windchill of -15°F.
But the sun is rising and should be clear skies.
And next week is going to be 60°F and raining. lol
I just checked, and yup, if you can believe it, there are temps above freezing in the forecast for the Great White North.
Will be a nice break from the chill mid-winter.

Lol I hear you. Especially when we can diy batteries so inexpensively its tempting to keep adding, but with the gen already in place I don't know how much more batteries would help. Is this generator gas, propane, or diesel?
NG. It was here when we bought the place so I can't take any credit, other than I keep it maintained. Wonderful as long as we don't lose NG, which happened quite a bit during the first big "Texas freeze". So far it hasn't been an issue here.

Back