diy solar

diy solar

How frequently does your solar system need attention?

We have a different perspective. From my view point: The last few years most solar has been installed by utilities to be mixed into thier generation or by large corporations to be used on thier side of the meter. Meta is somewhere around 4,000 Megawatts. There are over 10,000 Utility scale solar farms in the United States. The utilities will continue to be responsible for most future solar installed and they will do everything they can to make sure that doesn't change. There's what right and what those who can control the future will allow.
I Agree, that is one major path they are moving on but the other Path which they do not like to talk about is their growing dependency on home owners to feed back power to the Grid.
Transitions on this scale are never easy but I think we have already crossed a threshold that makes it almost impossible for them to do anything drastic. Well lets just say that if they did then a lot of customers their current customers might start looking into going off grid completely or heading to the courts. That could lead to more of those Solar powered communities that pool together to create their own power or Laws on the books that they just cannot get around.

Thanks. The responses here make me feel much better about it. Monitoring the battery storage should be easy (South Georgia where it will get lots of sun) plus I don't use much power now, only 5-6Kw a day so a 5-8Kw system should provide plenty as long as I have enough battery capacity.
still working way through this thread but you need to figure enough storage for 3-4 days at full use. no matter how you calculate you will always need more.

DIY Racks, add one at a time, once or twice per year...53kW so far and growing!
How often do we check on the solar? everyday!, only because it's fun.
Thats actually what the wife and I decided once I start in the battery route.

Going to go with one server rack battery every 6 months from now on till we have enough to run for awhile.

still working way through this thread but you need to figure enough storage for 3-4 days at full use. no matter how you calculate you will always need more.
Yeah I want at least 3 days worth (15Kw which isn't that much) especially since it appears they last longer that way.

The subject of EMP protection is in my opinion such an extreme edge case as to be not worth planning for. Much of what is put out there concerning it is hopelessly filled with fanciful imagination without any real science involved. Fun subject for dystopian movies and novels.

I do not think an EMP attack is at all far fetched. It is by far the easiest, cheapest and cleanest way to take out all US civilian infrastructure (and quite possibly not even be blamed for it). With the rise of BRICS things are heating up.

As you said, no one really knows how well emp hardened systems will hold up however taking reasonable measures provides me with peace of mind and that is very valuable in and of itself.

Your point on looking at Schneider and Victron is very much appreciated. Just did a quick search and Schneider AOI inverters are half the price of Sol-Ark, given a choice I would rather invest in a spare inverter than a pricey hardened one since I will likely use the spare either way.

What is the term for a solar only inverter? All the Schneider inverters I saw were hybrid and I don't know how to search for non-hybrid.

@Jim H Food storage and protection? Hadn't thought of that, will add a couple of packs of ramen and a can of mace to my list. ; )

Last edited:
I think I will get(DIY) one more battery and probably a MrCool 2/3 Ton DIY (precharged) heat pump but beyond that, I’m probably just making trying to make excuses to work on it.

In my opinion, if I need to check my system, I did something wrong. I did not calculate my consumption or assumed production properly.

Sometimes everything will shut down because I have to charge my car after it has been rainy for a few days, but I don't think anything of it. The system will turn itself on the next morning and I won't notice it.

After building a new system every few months for ten years, I now oversize everything. Especially the solar array. Make it as big as you can afford or your roof can allow.

In my opinion, if I need to check my system, I did something wrong. I did not calculate my consumption or assumed production properly.

Sometimes everything will shut down because I have to charge my car after it has been rainy for a few days, but I don't think anything of it. The system will turn itself on the next morning and I won't notice it.

After building a new system every few months for ten years, I now oversize everything. Especially the solar array. Make it as big as you can afford or your roof can allow.
Do you do consultations? Such as reviewing system specs? I am not at that point yet but would be glad to pay for an hour or two of your time when I am ready for final package estimates.

I know the helpful members here would also offer input but there will probably be a lot of conflicting advice.

He does not. He values his money, and his time out of courtrooms too much. ?

Piece it together from the advice of people on the forums, or hire somebody licensed locally.

Some of the people on here are truly gifted, not me, but quite a few of the others.

I am going to buy a turn-key system and have it professionally installed (so any liability issues will fall on the vendor/s). I already got one Sol-Ark quote from a well known "reputable" vendor but he quoted 10Kw battery storage for a completely off-grid system. I know that isn't prudent, and makes me wonder what else is left off or undersized on the ($22k) quote for a 5Kw system.

Last edited:

Will, I have always wondered if you do multiple systems or just keep one big one? I'm off-grid and made my first system(12v) with lots of redundancy. Now I'm working on multiple systems. Right now I'm half way done setting up my next one, 24v. Then a 48v system after that.

We probably averaged 1800 a month before solar but that was 1300 in the spring and fall and as high as 3300 last summer one month. I swapped out the 14 SEER HVAC units for high efficiency Mitsubishi so I'm hoping that will help some. I have the 3 ton on solar now and am hoping to put at least one of the 2 ton units on as well. I want to wait for some warmer weather to see just how much I can load it up without it switching to bypass all the time. I agree on making everything as energy efficient as possible. Whether you have solar or not, that's your best investment. Also means you'll need less solar.
Been working on making our as energy efficient as possible before going solar. Micro air soft start ( no affiliation) on our heat pump really dropped our usage. Next ee have installed a electric tankless water heater. Haven't got it wired in yet so don't know how much savings. Next will be getting doors rehung/replaced for tightness. Etc, etc. Will probably be rest of year before done. Gonna get as energy efficient as possible so as to reduce the size of system needed.

I thought the soft starts just made it start easier, but didn't actually save running energy. How much usage drop did you see?
There was some stats nationwide on how much power goes to starting loads like induction motors. Can't find it now but it was surprising how much goes to motor wasted power.

Back