diy solar

diy solar

How long can you (and your family) survive if the grid went down for an extended period?

I read: prions require 900-degrees for destruction.
too hot for my roast, but you can 'sanitize' a metal item after contact, and ruin the temper in the metal at the same time.

Perhaps there is a chemical method.

After 9/11, US realize their massive chemical weapons dumps made a juicy target. They proposed incineration, but people were afraid of toxic smoke. So they came up with chemical reactors to neutralize. Similar was used, installed on a ship, Syria after negotiating them giving up their stocks.

I've read that incineration leaves prions in the ash, but perhaps a suitable process (ash fed through carbon arc) could also destroy them so the waste doesn't reenter food chain at some point.

Spoken by someone who doesn't already run the gantlet of zombies driving to work every day. We just want to keep them at bay during the apocalypse.

They are already placing snares or booby traps for us. One night as I took the freeway onramp I had to swing around a Home Depo flat cart placed in the lane. Called the sighting in and by next day it appeared the proper authorities had it moved off the road, but allowed the encampment to remain and it could be deployed again at any time.

Spoken by someone who doesn't already run the gantlet of zombies driving to work every day. We just want to keep them at bay during the apocalypse.
And you seriously think guns / hunting will get you there ?
Well, I'd think one should prepare for shit to hit the fan when one doesn't expect it( as I did btw), however in a total apocalypse, I think nothing you can do will prepare you for that eventually ammo will run out and stopping hordes of hungry crowds won't be stop by 1 family with some guns

Well, I'd think one should prepare for shit to hit the fan when one doesn't expect it( as I did btw), however in a total apocalypse, I think nothing you can do will prepare you for that eventually ammo will run out and stopping hordes of hungry crowds won't be stop by 1 family with some guns
You are correct about a few family’s and some guns…and that is the condition that exists in most 1st world countries. Most all guns were removed from the populous in many schemes of trickery.

But 40 million family’s in possession of 700+ milliion guns and billions of rounds of ammo can be rather persuasive In a squabble.
we still have the right and ability to defend ourselves if needed…I say we will run out of bad guys long before we run out of bullets…
J.

Of course. A short walk up the hill in town, I'm a sitting duck.
But smaller issues that already happen here can be held off by not being a soft target.
Perimeter security and firearms go a long way;

The people who are more rural, supported by neighbors and with radios, may be able to deal with the few who make it that far without running out of gas.
May not have to hold out long before mass die-off lowers population to what nature could have supported, but game will be depleted by then.

When problems are localized, outside help could get a number of people through. Berlin airlift apparently worked; Irish potato famine received no help. Collapse of US alone would be a major strain if the world tried to help them through. Worldwide collapse would be a Great Reset and return to low tech. Mostly use of recycled materials, but manufacturing and then refining will rise from the ashes. Perhaps low end electronics in a short time, maybe vacuum tubes and incandescent lamps, but those still have specialized materials in them.

I could go for quite a while... especially at camp...

My roommate would die when he couldn't get Uber Eats anymore...

My nephews might make it a week without tgeir phones or Xboxes...

Yeah....
Funny…thats funny but sadly true..

With my 48V lead-acid battery, if it was drained and I need to black start, I could just connect some panels directly to it.
Once there was enough charge to start the microgrid and run it for 5 minutes, GT PV could return.

You could probably also do that, just more carefully.
Excellent point. I may have a simpler alternative. I have some gadgets that use 220v/240v and so I have 120-240 bidirectional box. I could just kill all circuits and power up the sunny boy and inverters. After about four minutes and less than 50w of usage, the solar should come alive and then start to charge the battery and eventually get off to the self sustaining (with frugality in non day time usage).

Worldwide collapse would be a Great Reset and return to low tech
I say that if it gets that far there’s going to be the lucky among the survivors that survive the survivors. And if it ‘gets that far’ either war nuclear or powerstation nuclear will finish off the equation.
In “war games” (not actual war, but people discussing teotwaki from a non-war causation; brainstorming if you will) where possible ‘post failures’ are evaluated and considered in realistic, non-fantasy terms there is often discussed stages: lag time, panic hunger, desperation aggression and mass die-off, a period where those that have things in place to survive do, then an aggression wave, then a new ‘normalcy’ however that transpires.
It is likely most of us- myself included- are probably not going to make it through Stage 3 even if we can. We will defend to survive, not to death in general, and without allegiances and a plan B and C survival will achieve our death by one means or another.
I’m not despondent or trying to be a killjoy or lack hope. Rather I’m pragmatic about being sensitive to the situation and responding appropriately, and accepting my - our- vulnerabilities.

Excellent point. I may have a simpler alternative. I have some gadgets that use 220v/240v and so I have 120-240 bidirectional box. I could just kill all circuits and power up the sunny boy and inverters. After about four minutes and less than 50w of usage, the solar should come alive and then start to charge the battery and eventually get off to the self sustaining (with frugality in non day time usage).

Does your Sunny Boy have Secure Power? Could feed a battery charger. For those with Sunny Island, could use for emergency charge procedure.
We'd rather not bypass battery charger voltage regulators and BMS.

scavengers/looters will move on to easy targets if you start shooting at them. I live in a liberal shit hole currently. So I doubt anyone’s armed. The mob will bother them, not me. In fact, since they are unarmed, eat organic, and mostly grass fed, I have a pretty much unlimited supply of healthy protein.

scavengers/looters will move on to easy targets if you start shooting at them. I live in a liberal shit hole currently. So I doubt anyone’s armed. The mob will bother them, not me. In fact, since they are unarmed, eat organic, and mostly grass fed, I have a pretty much unlimited supply of healthy protein.
Don't get too complacent about liberals. around here, no one will hear you when you die and no one will find your body. ;)

Reactions: JRH
I say that if it gets that far there’s going to be the lucky among the survivors that survive the survivors. And if it ‘gets that far’ either war nuclear or powerstation nuclear will finish off the equation.
In “war games” (not actual war, but people discussing teotwaki from a non-war causation; brainstorming if you will) where possible ‘post failures’ are evaluated and considered in realistic, non-fantasy terms there is often discussed stages: lag time, panic hunger, desperation aggression and mass die-off, a period where those that have things in place to survive do, then an aggression wave, then a new ‘normalcy’ however that transpires.
It is likely most of us- myself included- are probably not going to make it through Stage 3 even if we can. We will defend to survive, not to death in general, and without allegiances and a plan B and C survival will achieve our death by one means or another.
I’m not despondent or trying to be a killjoy or lack hope. Rather I’m pragmatic about being sensitive to the situation and responding appropriately, and accepting my - our- vulnerabilities.
You are certainly not being despondent.. very well said…the truth is often unpleasant but it is still the truth… the truth doesn’t care about one’s feelings, one’s morals or one’s ideological leanings…
it’s simply the reality of what is ..is simply what is….. Right here ,right now.
I will offer one additional thought, “normalcy bias “ is and will be one of the largest threats to anyone or group at any point in the different stages you speak of… paralysis through analysis….. we have all felt it , and seen it…some don’t suffer from it ….some always will…
the key is to learn how to recognize it , feel when it’s happening and learn to ignore it… it’s not easy to avoid as it’s mostly a modern
1st world human condition…and it will always claim a great portion of it victims.

Lol. You far underestimate the amount of ammo in civilian hands..

Does your Sunny Boy have Secure Power? Could feed a battery charger. For those with Sunny Island, could use for emergency charge procedure.
We'd rather not bypass battery charger voltage regulators and BMS.
Yes. I have installed Secured Power Supply and used initially. However, after an automatic backup unit was commissioned, the SPS is no longer usable. I think, it does have voltage to it but I have not used it because I no longer need its function. And, the user manual also says that:
Secure power supply operation in Flexible Storage Systems with backup power supply not possible
If the inverter is used in a battery-backup system and connected with an automatic transfer switch, the secure power supply operation is not available.
Its on page 14.

I am tempted to get this clarified (for the extreme edge condition) from them tomorrow by calling their tech support. SMA provides such an amazing support that stands in such contrast to few others.

I think that's what is written in Sunny Boy Storage (battery inverter) manual only.

If you also have Sunny Boy (PV inverter), it should still support Secure Power. Potentially, an auto-transformer could step that up to 120/240V.
Whether that would wake up SBS with drained battery is the question. Would need to tell it to charge, but not more than 1800W.

Those of us with a 48V battery could charge with regular battery charger. You have a high voltage battery, don't know if you could get it to charge outside of SBS.

But you have microinverters, right? When you get yourself a Sunny Boy you might have this option.

you also have Sunny Boy (PV inverter), it should still support Secure Power. Potentially, an auto-transformer could step that up to 120/240V.
Whether that would wake up SBS with drained battery is the question. Would need to tell it to charge, but not more than 1800W.
Actually, with ABU, even the third level support told me that this is non-functional. However, I do see it hot when I take probe close to it. I think they are implying redundant. I will call to check.

I mean to wake the solar panels up to start charging the battery and once, I kill all load (all load breaker off ) and then supply a grid, it should get the Modules to begin charging. But all this is very very unlikely to happen....

Well, we have 12 shutzhund/IPO trained american Staffordshire terriers ( = American Pitbull Terriers) ..

I am pretty sure we will be skipped as easy targets..
And as guns are not an issue here...

Well, we have 12 shutzhund/IPO trained american Staffordshire terriers ( = American Pitbull Terriers) ..

I am pretty sure we will be skipped as easy targets..
And as guns are not an issue here...
Until hungry former Soldiers and police appear at your gate. That’s in an all out collapse scenario though.

As far as how long without power, Forever. I have lots of backups to inverters, charge controllers. We have wood, coal, big forest nearby. Groundloop to air heat pump heating mostly.

Reality was we were without grid 4 days here, i know that because my sister texted me and let me know.

Lots of ammo, no visible neighbors, plenty of wild game and big gardens and several fruit trees.
I do need an EV tractor still :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back