diy solar

diy solar

How to remote connect to your bluetooth devices from anywhere in the world :)

Crowz

Solar Wizard
Being able to monitor the solar setups is required of course and one of the things that was ticking me off was not being able to use bluetooth except while standing beside the equipment basically.

I needed to monitor it from my computer room which is over 100 feet away easily and also when not at home.

I have solar assistant which is very handy and home assistant but I had no access to the cool bms's built into the batteries and no access to the victron smart shunt's nice app except via bluetooth which has no range to speak of.

I was planning on doing some kind of pi setup but the more I got into doing this the more complicated it was getting and down right annoying. Well I have a bunch of old smart phones laying around from years of upgrades so it seemed kind of stupid buying hardware just to do this when I had the phones laying around.

The solution? Download droidVNC-NG from the app store. It's opensource and free.

Run that on the phone and setup a password and then use vnc viewer on a desktop pc or use a vnc viewer on a tablet or another phone to control it from there.

All of those wonderful bluetooth solar equipment apps are now available from anywhere. I need to come up with an internet visible solution for people to use since I'm using a tunnel that is unique to my equipment and won't help anyone else. But this is only needed if your not on the same network. Basically all of this works fine while at home but not when your at work or something.

Screen shots from my desktop :

chinsbms.jpg

chinsbms2.jpg

victronbms1.jpg

I hope this helps anyone wanting to use BT stuff without the range hassles.

I wasn’t aware anyone didn’t know about this ability… vnc has been a great staple of pc sharing for decades.
Cool bringing it up for the non computer savvy…

I wasn’t aware anyone didn’t know about this ability… vnc has been a great staple of pc sharing for decades.
Cool bringing it up for the non computer savvy…
I use it constantly but I wasn't aware of it being out in server form for android. Free to boot :)

FWIW and you did mention Home Assistant, so another option. I have esp32's connected to my equipment and thus it's exposed to Home Assistant. Using Tailscale then allows you to access HA over the web. I'm currently hard wired to my devices but originally connected thru bluetooth.

Being able to monitor the solar setups is required of course and one of the things that was ticking me off was not being able to use bluetooth except while standing beside the equipment basically.

I needed to monitor it from my computer room which is over 100 feet away easily and also when not at home.

I have solar assistant which is very handy and home assistant but I had no access to the cool bms's built into the batteries and no access to the victron smart shunt's nice app except via bluetooth which has no range to speak of.

I was planning on doing some kind of pi setup but the more I got into doing this the more complicated it was getting and down right annoying. Well I have a bunch of old smart phones laying around from years of upgrades so it seemed kind of stupid buying hardware just to do this when I had the phones laying around.

The solution? Download droidVNC-NG from the app store. It's opensource and free.

Run that on the phone and setup a password and then use vnc viewer on a desktop pc or use a vnc viewer on a tablet or another phone to control it from there.

All of those wonderful bluetooth solar equipment apps are now available from anywhere. I need to come up with an internet visible solution for people to use since I'm using a tunnel that is unique to my equipment and won't help anyone else. But this is only needed if your not on the same network. Basically all of this works fine while at home but not when your at work or something.

Screen shots from my desktop :

View attachment 171271

View attachment 171272

View attachment 171273

I hope this helps anyone wanting to use BT stuff without the range hassles.
Very cool indeed! Thank you for sharing!

Hi. I have a Victron smart shunt. Bluetooth range is minimal. I have an old android smartphone. If I understand what you've done is get a vnc viewer for the computer and the android app for the phone and I'll be able to read the Victron app? Can I access it from another smart phone? I was looking to buy solar assistant with the raspberry but all I really need is the smart shunt info.

Hi. I have a Victron smart shunt. Bluetooth range is minimal. I have an old android smartphone. If I understand what you've done is get a vnc viewer for the computer and the android app for the phone and I'll be able to read the Victron app? Can I access it from another smart phone? I was looking to buy solar assistant with the raspberry but all I really need is the smart shunt info.
Yep and yep.

Would this be a viable way for me to view my Victron smart shunt located in my trailer while I drive my truck with a Mac laptop or iPhone in the cab of the truck?

And so with the VNC viewer you still need an internet connection ... correct?
Nope but you do need a router. The nighthawk thing you ordered is the router. That handles getting it to something that has a wifi antenna on it so you can connect to it with your phone while you are in the cab of your truck. No actual internet connection required for what your wanting to do. The internet part comes in if you are off some where else and not anywhere near the truck/camper.

No actual internet connection required for what your wanting to do

Crowz,

Today, thanks to you, I was finally able to use my Rpi4 Cerbo GX and Netgear Router to read my Victron devices in my cargo trailer on my iPhone using Victron Connect while I was sitting in the cab holding my iPhone while driving in my truck.

Happy Days!!!

Crowz,

Today, thanks to you, I was finally able to use my Rpi4 Cerbo GX and Netgear Router to read my Victron devices in my cargo trailer on my iPhone using Victron Connect while I was sitting in the cab holding my iPhone while driving in my truck.

Happy Days!!!
Excellent !

Back