diy solar

diy solar

How "shack-y" is your solar shed?

v_green57

Solar Enthusiast
Per subject line. What's your most "redneck" install?

In northwestern Arizona, there's a place I go to every spring to camp and wander the desert for a few days. There's an old semi-improved permanent spring there that used to fill a couple water troughs for the range cattle. Long abandoned, the concrete troughs nothing but a pile of busted chunks, but enough of the piping remains such that it outputs a constant 1 liter/minute into a bucket or whatever. Nice to have this water source - makes extended stays (and keeping the SunShower full) possible.

Also at this site is an old cattle feed hopper made out of big lumber and corrugated steel. I have re-purposed it into my solar power station.

One of SanTan Solar's $50 Trina 250W panels, an EPEVER 4210AN, a Costco "marine/deep cycle" battery (yeah, I know about those, but they are cheap), a 1kW WaganTech MSW inverter bought from Fry's before they went belly up.

On the piece of plywood along with the EPEVER is a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W for monitoring along with a USB to MODBUS adapter to get the data from the 4210. I access the rPi in headless mode using VNC and phone/tablet/whatever.

Also stuffed into the hopper is a Haier mini-fridge that one of my neighbors down at the industrial park put out next to the dumpster. Figured it was toast, but when I plugged it in, it worked. Didn't even smell bad inside...

Anyway, the solar system provides more than enough juice to run it plus the other loads. Uses 55W when compressor is on. Very nice to be able to make ice for margaritas. Beats the holy hell out of an ice chest.

Planks under the fridge from dismantled wood pallets (from my shop dumpster again) that the recyclers didn't pick up or were of a non-std. size they didn't want. I hate seeing usable lumber going to waste.

So, post the best of your worst here. "Electrical code Nazis", chill out and just enjoy the show. We know it doesn't meet spec ;-)

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • shack_1.jpg
    shack_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • shack_2.jpg
    shack_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • shack_3.jpg
    shack_3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • shack_4.jpg
    shack_4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • shack_5.jpg
    shack_5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
No violations to see here. The shed actually cost more than the solar system and it runs the entire house. The two charge controllers shown are not connected, CC is MSB chosen because it is typical of low end CC. Two windows and a skylight, all Andersen. The door is historic from an amusement park which closed in the 1920's, Hardie concrete siding PVC trim, and TREX floor. Two water heaters, floor and under table is piped to the house. Single battery from my pickup I don't bring. Only 4 by 6 feet!shed1s.jpgshed2s.jpgshed3s.jpg

Last edited:
No violations to see here. The shed actually cost more than the solar system and it runs the entire house. The two charge controllers shown are not connected, CC is MSB chosen because it is typical of low end CC. Two windows and a skylight, all Andersen. The door is historic from an amusement park which closed in the 1920's, Hardie concrete siding PVC trim, and TREX floor. Two water heaters, floor and under table is piped to the house. Single battery from my pickup I don't bring. Only 4 by 6 feet!View attachment 158973View attachment 158974View attachment 158975

That is an OCD nightmare ?

I have got some cable ties you can borrow

No violations to see here. The shed actually cost more than the solar system and it runs the entire house. The two charge controllers shown are not connected, CC is MSB chosen because it is typical of low end CC. Two windows and a skylight, all Andersen. The door is historic from an amusement park which closed in the 1920's, Hardie concrete siding PVC trim, and TREX floor. Two water heaters, floor and under table is piped to the house. Single battery from my pickup I don't bring. Only 4 by 6 feet!View attachment 158973

Looks very nice.

That looks fun to troubleshoot.

And to think my son's friends think I'm a mad scientist building battery banks and solar systems.

No violations to see here. The shed actually cost more than the solar system and it runs the entire house. The two charge controllers shown are not connected, CC is MSB chosen because it is typical of low end CC. Two windows and a skylight, all Andersen. The door is historic from an amusement park which closed in the 1920's, Hardie concrete siding PVC trim, and TREX floor. Two water heaters, floor and under table is piped to the house. Single battery from my pickup I don't bring. Only 4 by 6 feet!View attachment 158973View attachment 158974View attachment 158975
I think it has charactor…?

Deleted since technically I didn't have a solar shack since the inverter was in the house :)

Last edited:
Did someone say redneck install? Well let me not disappoint.

Attachments

• 20231210_214552.jpg
    20231210_214552.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231210_214620.jpg
    20231210_214620.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 56
"Portable" test rig (since disassembled)
With small wheels, 4x batteries, and that transformer, was quite a fight to get over threshold of side door to garage.

portable SI 5048.jpg

Fused disconnect, feeding two 2-pole breakers for for inverters.
Note the uninsulated split-bolts tapping off to whole-house surge arrestor.
Did I say I'm a firm believer in leaving a "service loop"?

fused disconnect IMG_1685.jpg

Neatly arranged PV combiner box

IMG_0867.JPG

Three-phase system (one of three battery inverters shown.)
Toroids step up 120/208Y to 277/480Y for TriPower PV inverter

3-phase step-up IMG_2420.jpg

Carefully aligned rows of PV panels, rails cut to length

array IMG_1634.jpg

Early 2000's, maybe 2003 or 2004.
I put in mostly AstroPower AP120 monocrystaline, but these were Sharp NE-Q5E2U Polycrystaline.
Cost around $5/W.
A few degraded severely, and I swapped them out for others.
They spent most of their life negative grounded, but then about 1 year on transformerless inverter. Not sure if degradation was related to that.

mine is still work in progress, you can see AC-DC converter to charge batteries using PV input

Attachments

• IMG_20231211_205507.jpg
    IMG_20231211_205507.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231211_205530.jpg
    IMG_20231211_205530.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231211_205544.jpg
    IMG_20231211_205544.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 6
Back