diy solar

diy solar

How would you stand something off to a custom height insight an electrical box?

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I need to get a blue sea bus bar stood off the back of the box about 1 19/32" in order to level it with a contactor so I can use a bus bar link between the two.

What kind of material would you use for this? I thought it would look pretty dumb to have wood inside my electrical box.

I've already tried and failed to use a bar of polyethylene that I don't even know is any better than wood in there.

Is there a nonflammable material that comes in affordable thick 2" bars and can be cut with a saw?

I'd 3D print something.
McMaster Carr probably has something that would work for you:
Or maybe

Maybe you can bend the bus bar?
That is the other option, use a bench vice brake to make bends. I wanted to avoid it because if I don't get the vertical height right I'll be wasting my bus bar material. It might end up being cheaper to deal with that waste though.

I'd 3D print something.
McMaster Carr probably has something that would work for you:
Or maybe
Those are nice but I'm too cheap now. Blew all my garolite budget on the compression rig lol.

Nice options so far.
I'm with @400bird on 3D printing.

The buss bar is already insulated, correct?
Why not just use some unthreaded spacers cut to the correct length?
You could also use a bushing cut to length.
You can pick them up at pretty much any hardware store in the specialty drawers.

Another option that comes to mind is a bolt with nuts spun to the correct height with a washer on top, if needed.

Nice options so far.
I'm with @400bird on 3D printing.

The buss bar is already insulated, correct?
Why not just use some unthreaded spacers cut to the correct length?
You could also use a bushing cut to length.
You can pick them up at pretty much any hardware store in the specialty drawers.

Another option that comes to mind is a bolt with nuts spun to the correct height with a washer on top, if needed.
I think I'm coming around to unthreaded spacers as the most applicable product.

The hard part is finding a solution wide enough to really stabilize something like this dualbus. But I hadn't searched thoroughly in the unthreaded spacer market yet.

1702259798056.jpeg

I think I'm coming around to unthreaded spacers as the most applicable product.

The hard part is finding a solution wide enough to really stabilize something like this dualbus. But I hadn't searched thoroughly in the unthreaded spacer market yet.

View attachment 182188
A nice fender washer on top of the spacer will do the trick.

I guess you could also drill out a large diameter wooden dowel if you wanted to use wood and be classy ?

Oh I remember now I did find these.

Hard to swallow $50 for something you could make out of $3 of wood though lol.

Back