diy solar

diy solar

I am so happy

It's been clamped to the battery posts for over 1 hour with no Ac load and it went from warm to moderately hot
So, the inverter is the issue. Since you purchased it and wanted to make your money worth, then you need to place it in location that won't catch fire if the inverter burns. If I were you, I would discard it. It's not worth to take a risk, just for $4. Buy the 12V laptop adaptor and cigarette plug for it. It will be better off.

So, the inverter is the issue. Since you purchased it and wanted to make your money worth, then you need to place it in location that won't catch fire if the inverter burns. If I were you, I would discard it. It's not worth to take a risk, just for $4. Buy the 12V laptop adaptor and cigarette plug for it. It will be better off.
I was planning to do anyway .. I intend to buy a 1000 watts sine wave inverter and recycle the crappy 220 watt inverter into something useful, at the moment I'm only powering my solar fan and modem the solar fan battery is full and only consuming 13 watts to keep me from melting but thank you for the advice, it is currently suspended in the air so no contact with anything

I was planning to do anyway .. I intend to buy a 1000 watts sine wave inverter and recycle the crappy 220 watt inverter into something useful, at the moment I'm only powering my solar fan and modem the solar fan battery is full and only consuming 13 watts to keep me from melting but thank you for the advice, it is currently suspended in the air so no contact with anything
Buy pure sine wave inverter since you are going to use for laptop.

Buy pure sine wave inverter since you are going to use for laptop.
I fully intend to, however, the power is only going to the laptop battery and not affecting the computer circuits, Philippines is known for having "dirty" electricity.. full of static... So electronics that come here are somehow protected from their primitive power plants, but I won't be having any income until my CAF pension in the beginning of December, I'd rather get more batteries and more solar panels and maybe even a charge controller before getting a functional inverter.. but that's just me

Dumb question about the battery, but the positive and negative terminal aren't actually posts but bolts that I had to screw in upon receiving it, if the bolt is halfway unscrewed, does it lose contact with the plates inside the battery? Sorry for dumb questions but how else can I learn ?

The bolts should clamp the cable lugs down onto the posts so that the lugs cannot rotate / move in any way. Loose contacts will cause poor contact / heat / sparks / fire ?.

Just going to show a photo of the bolt to avoid any mistranslated confusion and yes it is unscrewed (untightened) for demonstration only

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_183507_623.jpg
    IMG_20231123_183507_623.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 9
Your connection should be with the battery terminal. The bolt just adds resistance to the circuit. Steel is not the best conductor for electricity.
But at your low power level, it may not even get warm. (Just keep an eye on it)

I fully intend to, however, the power is only going to the laptop battery and not affecting the computer circuits, Philippines is known for having "dirty" electricity.. full of static... So electronics that come here are somehow protected from their primitive power plants, but I won't be having any income until my CAF pension in the beginning of December, I'd rather get more batteries and more solar panels and maybe even a charge controller before getting a functional inverter.. but that's just me
It's up to you.
Smart TV, laptop/computer, router/modem, nowaday refrigerator/microwave etc... may require pure sine wave inverter. Unless, you know for sure that you won't have these eqpt in the future (due to your future expansion of needs).
Suggestion: Run power audit to decide your current n future loads/needs so that you know what to invest eqpt wise, else, you will end up spending more on stuff, which you don't need due to future expansion.

corporal_Canada said:
I will do that, mind you, there is no ON switch to this inverter, it did cost me only 4$ after all, thank you China I'm going to proceed by doing this experiment in just a moment, I woke up but an hour ago and need to go get my cafe... Coffee sorry and a pack of cancer sticks

The scary thing is the $4.00 price tag.

Last edited:
It's up to you.
Smart TV, laptop/computer, router/modem, nowaday refrigerator/microwave etc... may require pure sine wave inverter. Unless, you know for sure that you won't have these eqpt in the future (due to your future expansion of needs).
Suggestion: Run power audit to decide your current n future loads/needs so that you know what to invest eqpt wise, else, you will end up spending more on stuff, which you don't need due to future expansion.
That is my fantasy, to have everything running on free power, but I don't know how to calculate 220v, although the Panasonic fridge does say 50 or 60 watts on the side but no indication of surge pull ( the big amount of power draw when the compressor or condenser turns on) so I think 50-60 watts is a baseline average... Worth noting that the fridge is Panasonic, yeah didn't think they make kitchen appliances either..

Your connection should be with the battery terminal. The bolt just adds resistance to the circuit. Steel is not the best conductor for electricity.
But at your low power level, it may not even get warm. (Just keep an eye on it)
Thank you, I'm just curious how I'm supposed to use 2 clamps on 1bolt once it's fully tightened (300watt solar panel and scary 5$ inverter) or can I hook up the inverter clamp onto the solar panel clamp ? It's technically all connected right ?

That is my fantasy, to have everything running on free power, but I don't know how to calculate 220v, although the Panasonic fridge does say 50 or 60 watts on the side but no indication of surge pull ( the big amount of power draw when the compressor or condenser turns on) so I think 50-60 watts is a baseline average... Worth noting that the fridge is Panasonic, yeah didn't think they make kitchen appliances either..
From my experience, the initial surge/in-rush current is about 7 to 8 times of the operational rating. To reduce the in-rush current, you can install soft-start device. This soft-start will reduce up to 70% of in-rush current. For example, my AC compressor normal operational current is 22A and my in rush current is 152A. Installing soft-start will reduce mine to 42.2A of in-rush current. Similar case applies to refrigerator.

Thank you, I'm just curious how I'm supposed to use 2 clamps on 1bolt once it's fully tightened (300watt solar panel and scary 5$ inverter) or can I hook up the inverter clamp onto the solar panel clamp ? It's technically all connected right ?
I won't do it, too risky especially with your $4 inverter. If I were you, I would save money & be patient before doing the solar project. Doing things right in the first place will save your life, property/asset, and money.

There is common miss-conception about free power via solar.
It is NOT free. You need to factor in battery cost, solar panel cost, inverter cost, tools, cables, breakers, switches, etc..
I told many folks, solar project is NOT cheap and a dangerous adventure if the person has no basic knowledge about electricity on both AC/DC.
Battery is a sitting booomb if you mistreat it.

Replace the clamps with ring terminals. And put them on the battery correctly.

Back