diy solar

diy solar

I am so happy

corporal_Canada

Good morning, my name is Christopher from the oui oui french part of Canada ( so kindly tolerate my struggles in your evil capitalist English (kidding) and I ought to mention that I moved to Philippines for obvious reasons, here in this great country I've found that everything solar is dirt cheap, because everything comes from china and also because of the tragedy that befell our once power full neighbour, usa it started with a Chinese 12v battery.... It sais 100ah but that's just about as truthful as WW2 history, the battery is connected to a 300watt solar panel,using simple battery clamps and just yesterday I received a very petite DC to ac inverter that sais 220watts, no fan mind you, I've conncted my crappy 10yr old Fujitsu laptop to it, my fiber optic modem, my fan, until 4 am and I was so excited that I am wasn't using dirty coal power to operate my devices and yes the inverter was warm and hot to the touch but it continued to work even as I used a 50watt fan to operate all night long, I am super excited because I've been dreaming of doing this is n Canada since th age of 19 and now for only 20-25$cad for a solar panel my dream of electric independence has come true,... Wanted to add an addendum, the fan does make an audible whirring noise on the inverter but after using Google, I wasn't nervous about damaging the fan... Thank you and good day

Attachments

• 17006071843581646041096915200012.jpg
    17006071843581646041096915200012.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 81
Thank you, quick question, the inverter is 220 watts, does that mean 220 watts is being taken from the battery as soon as the clamps are secured to the battery posts or does it only pull wtv I draw from the inverter? For example a 10 yr old crappy laptop , that only needs 70 to 80 watts to operate...

Thank you, quick question, the inverter is 220 watts, does that mean 220 watts is being taken from the battery as soon as the clamps are secured to the battery posts or does it only pull wtv I draw from the inverter? For example a 10 yr old crappy laptop , that only needs 70 to 80 watts to operate...
You will draw from the battery whatever you draw from the inverter. Plus whatever the inverter consumes to operate.

Good morning, my name is Christopher from the oui oui french part of Canada ( so kindly tolerate my struggles in your evil capitalist English (kidding) and I ought to mention that I moved to Philippines for obvious reasons, here in this great country I've found that everything solar is dirt cheap, because everything comes from china and also because of the tragedy that befell our once power full neighbour, usa it started with a Chinese 12v battery.... It sais 100ah but that's just about as truthful as WW2 history, the battery is connected to a 300watt solar panel,using simple battery clamps and just yesterday I received a very petite DC to ac inverter that sais 220watts, no fan mind you, I've conncted my crappy 10yr old Fujitsu laptop to it, my fiber optic modem, my fan, until 4 am and I was so excited that I am wasn't using dirty coal power to operate my devices and yes the inverter was warm and hot to the touch but it continued to work even as I used a 50watt fan to operate all night long, I am super excited because I've been dreaming of doing this is n Canada since th age of 19 and now for only 20-25$cad for a solar panel my dream of electric independence has come true,... Wanted to add an addendum, the fan does make an audible whirring noise on the inverter but after using Google, I wasn't nervous about damaging the fan... Thank you and good day
What do you mean by 220Watt inverter was "warm and hot" to touch? I assume 220watt is the continuous rating, not Peak rating.
Need to pay attention when any eqpt is HOT to touch.... potential fire hazard there.

You will draw from the battery whatever you draw from the inverter. Plus whatever the inverter consumes to operate.
Well this lil thing has no internal fan so I don't think it has any operating needs other than to convert DC to ac power, well there is a tiny led.. but that's aboot it

Well this lil thing has no internal fan so I don't think it has any operating needs other than to convert DC to ac power, well there is a tiny led.. but that's aboot it
They use more than one would think.
The less expensive ones use the most.
The only way to know is to measure it.

What do you mean by 220Watt inverter was "warm and hot" to touch? I assume 220watt is the continuous rating, not Peak rating.
Need to pay attention when any eqpt is HOT to touch.... potential fire hazard there.
That is a concern of mine, however, this comes directly from the shores of China, no regulations whatsoever...

Oh sorry, there is no indication eethere its peak or continuous, but I only use my El crappo laptop with it

Attachments

• 17006742517436765000660126691533.jpg
    17006742517436765000660126691533.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Oh sorry, there is no indication eethere its peak or continuous, but I only use my El crappo laptop with it
Lets do little experiment. The inverter needs to be not connected to any power source for few hours, try to get the inverter temperature baseline. Then, proceed to step 1 below:
1. Power up your inverter (meaning connect your inverter to battery) and with NO load, will it be HOT to touch? if yes, then your inverter has an issue. If not HOT to touch, proceed to step 2.
2. When your inverter is ON, try just to power your laptop only (use it for few hours), will the inverter be HOT to touch? if yes, either the your laptop uses more than 220W or your inverter is NOT 220Watt. If not HOT to touch, then add your fiber optic modem. Keep repeating this step by adding more load.
Good Luck!

Mount the inverter vertically so that natural air flow will help with the cooling. With out a fan flat mount doesnt cool well.

Lets do little experiment. The inverter needs to be not connected to any power source for few hours, try to get the inverter temperature baseline. Then, proceed to step 1 below:
1. Power up your inverter (meaning connect your inverter to battery) and with NO load, will it be HOT to touch? if yes, then your inverter has an issue. If not HOT to touch, proceed to step 2.
2. When your inverter is ON, try just to power your laptop only (use it for few hours), will the inverter be HOT to touch? if yes, either the your laptop uses more than 220W or your inverter is NOT 220Watt. If not HOT to touch, then add your fiber optic modem. Keep repeating this step by adding more load.
Good Luck!
I will do that, mind you, there is no ON switch to this inverter, it did cost me only 4$ after all, thank you China I'm going to proceed by doing this experiment in just a moment, I woke up but an hour ago and need to go get my cafe... Coffee sorry and a pack of cancer sticks

Mount the inverter vertically so that natural air flow will help with the cooling. With out a fan flat mount doesnt cool well.
That does sound like a very clever idea but I have no tools to do accomplish any sort of mounting, I intend to purchase more batteries and additional 300 watt solar panels and maybe even a charge controller

I have no idea how many watts are remaining inside the battery, I know I have to check volts (currently 12.38) and check the amps but I'm scared to check the amps after a stupid amp test back in Montreal 15 yrs ago.. and then I think I multiply or divide

Back