diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

I see what you're questioning. I don't think it means only 20 KWH per inverter. Any single battery pack stack rack can only be 20 KWH.

15.2.1 requires UL9540 listing. UL9540 can be obtained for separate components, for example Pytes batteries listed with Sol-Ark.
But isn't the definition of an ESS an inverter AND batteries?

Well that is the 6 million dollar question and when I started researching it this morning, I saw that it can also refer to all kinds of mechanical and other storage devices too, like hydro, compressed gas and fly wheels etc.
So a rack of batteries is not an ESS unless the manufacturer says it is an ESS in the data sheet?? Or is a CR2032 an ESS ?

Seems like some of the new units calling themselves ESS are a battery, inverter/charger and load control panel. In fact one of the manufacturers at the Miami show insisted on calling it an inverter and made absolutely no mention of battery whatsoever, and I told them that was confusing.

This little NFPA fact sheet suggests that the answer regarding ESS's is: VYO.

Vague Yet Overcomplicated.

I just love TLAs so i figured i'd add my own because if there's one thing any discussion about codes and compliance needs, it's MORE TLA's!! Preferably VYO TLAs.

But TIL that unless you're gonna water your LFP adequately you are apparently supposed to 'sprinkle' an extra foot in there between stacks, as determined by your KWH.

FFS...
Four Foot Spacing, in this case. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know the original manufacturer of the PowerPro WallMount AllWeather Lithium Battery | 48V 280Ah | 14.3kWh LiFePO4 ? It may be listed in the certification paperwork or PCB boards.

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
As far as aesthetics go I agree its a great look... I'm still waiting on my 3 Power Pro batteries to pass UL certification to connect them to my two Sol-Ark 15k's in parallel. My setup was inspired by your latest setup with the 18kpv. Once thing I did find out in ordering my setup.... the warranty will be voided on the Power Pro's if you connect them with any batteries that are not 280ah.... see image or page 10 of manual. So the orginal setup with rack of Ruixu batteries will void the warranty on the Power Pro's. Keep up the great work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 10.29.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 10.29.12 AM.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 11
I have an EATON UPS here with pluggable battery modules:

3K model will set you back 5 grand. Figure $28K for 15KW. But a lot of that cost is the power/inverter units. There is no reason why you couldn't build a similar battery module that slides into a rack like this. Connectors are not that expensive, and the engineering does not have to be that precise. Plus these battery modules are not that heavy therefore fairly easy to install.

IMNSHO, Signature Solar and friends should really work in this direction. 100+ lb massive battery units is not the best long term solution. Multiple smaller units like this would be more easily transportable and recyclable.
A follow-up. This thing is awful. the 4.5KVA unit ships with two L6-30S, and two L5-30S. We paid an electrician to wire it. He did not secure the ground from the panel and wired a short Y-GND on one of the L6-30P pigtails to the overhead distribution outlets. This short blew the power module as soon as it turned on. No, it did not trip the breaker, it blew the power module. The batteries are in a series parallel arrangement 60v x 2 = 120v pairs. Based on the label there appears to be a 40A DC fuse on the 120v.. There is a 30A breaker on the L6-30 plug. When it turned on it immediately blew the non-serviceable DC fuse inside the power module, and reported same on the front panel. A stunningly poor design for the power module. NOTE: this is an online UPS, runs off the batteries all the time.

Great concept, awful implementation.

There are EG4 branded connectors listed on SS website. Red and black with male and female matching parts. About $20 for a red set or the black set. After looking at other sources with confusing specs and much higher prices, this didn’t look that bad.

This may be a dumb question, but is it correct that the Power Pro turns on with the on/off switch when the breaker is in the off position?

I suppose it depends on how big your system is. I'd rather have 6 batteries (30kwh) than 2 (29kwh) purely because if something were to happen with 1 battery and it needs to be serviced or something, I'd only lose 17% of my storage compared to 50% if there were only 2 batteries. That of course changes with scale so it really depends on the total size/capacity of your system. I also don't like the 12" spacing requirement between batteries that the manual says you need for the Power Pro's, so horizontal space becomes more of a concern.

Back