diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
20230812_080252.jpg
Or four of these:
20230812_080246.jpg

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)

I wish the made it so they could easily be put one in front of another and attached to each other...and allow the wiring to run between the side compartments. Otherwise they consume a LOT of space left-to-right if they need to be screwed into the wall.

Also, the terminals being on opposite sides is a bit tough...I wish there was more room to allow them both to be on the same side.

For people mounting their inverter outside, it seems like a nice idea. I still would need to see some real-world tests in cold environments before I would be able to trust it in MI.

I do agree with the others about the connectivity. It would be nice if you could put them side by side and not have to space them apart to get to the connections/controls.

It does seem like a lot of weight, granted I haven’t weighed my 280ah DIY bank.

I wonder how much of the cost is put into “weather proofing”? I guess what I’m asking is would it be significantly cheaper to have the same design but not outdoor rated? I would imagine a lot of people would still be looking to put this indoors or in conditioned spaces vs outside.

How would this (and the 18kPV) stand up to hail? We just had a freak hailstorm in MI a few weeks ago with baseball (and some softball) sized hail. That storm has me thinking about anything I might put outdoors…

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
The cleaner looks and being outdoor rated seems like a good deal l. I like the push connection on the battery side so it easy to connect but it would be nice if they already connected the terminal for the other side so people wouldn't have to crimp one on . It would just make things faster and easier. I get the purpose the box you can run between the battery and inverter but it looks ugly and out of places Idk if I would use it if I had the battery. I am very interested in it though needing a battery backup solution with the current outages that happen with being more rural.

For people mounting their inverter outside, it seems like a nice idea. I still would need to see some real-world tests in cold environments before I would be able to trust it in MI.

I do agree with the others about the connectivity. It would be nice if you could put them side by side and not have to space them apart to get to the connections/controls.

It does seem like a lot of weight, granted I haven’t weighed my 280ah DIY bank.

I wonder how much of the cost is put into “weather proofing”? I guess what I’m asking is would it be significantly cheaper to have the same design but not outdoor rated? I would imagine a lot of people would still be looking to put this indoors or in conditioned spaces vs outside.

We tried for years to make things waterproof. Keeping the rain and snow off was easy but water vapor gets sucked (heat/cool cycles) into or condenses on everything. A heater and venting is needed.

I've got my server rack batteries, admittedly only 3 of them so far, in a full size server rack that will be able to store up to 10. It has wheels on it so it can move around, and nicely encloses everything. it's 7 feet tall so it's just small enough to get through my garage door but really maximizes space.

I think the EG4 rack isn't making use of the potential benefits of a server rack. It's not all that tall, and you have to mod it to put casters on it or double stack it.

Where neither it or the new 280Ah battery is really optimizing is storage within a certain footprint. How well can you stack the new batteries? Seems like a chore.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd still go for server rack for expandability and maneuverability.
2023-07-18 10.41.32.jpg

If 100 Ah server rack costs $1500 (not including the rack), 280 Ah for $4000 sounds similar. Better without having to buy a rack.

I also like outdoor, away from the house. Even if inverter is in house.

200A max continuous (~ 10kW), 160A recommended is OK for moderate size system, although 1C or higher would be nice.
Important question, which I don't see in data sheet: What is its surge capability?

View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

You could send me some of those server rack batteries if you just want to dump them.. I'm in!

If 100 Ah server rack costs $1500 (not including the rack), 280 Ah for $4000 sounds similar. Better without having to buy a rack.

I also like outdoor, away from the house. Even if inverter is in house.

200A max continuous (~ 10kW), 160A recommended is OK for moderate size system, although 1C or higher would be nice.
Important question, which I don't see in data sheet: What is its surge capability?
Good question, I did not think about that. Looks to be 15.4kW for 3 seconds:

Screenshot_20230812_085506_Chrome.jpg

I don't have the floor space for a server rack so I have 10kWh of cells hanging on our wall. I want more storage. I could use a couple of these hanging on the wall in our carport with the inverters and charge controllers on the other side of the wall inside the laundry room.

But I'll wait for others to be the beta testers.

View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I think there's a limit of three when using the eg18k per the release thread.

Personally I'd prefer the server rack form factor as you are at 300A for three units and then scaling up from there versus 200 for the 280Ah unit.

With respect, I have to say I prefer the utility and function of server rack batteries, as they can be stacked vertically. Most people have very little horizontal space. But to each their own.
With respect as well,
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess more people have available vertical space than floor space.
I know I have, in every place I’ve ever lived or worked.

I know you know this - but that’s the difference between a structures cubic feet, and square feet.

Last edited:
With respect, I have to say I prefer the utility and function of server rack batteries, as they can be stacked vertically. Most people have very little horizontal space. But to each their own.

Half the capacity of 6x 100 Ah server rack batteries in one rack.
< 24" x 12" floorspace

"Dimensions (H×W×D) 34.6 in.×22.3 in.×9.1 in. (88.0 cm×56.6 cm×23.2 cm)"

A way to stack them (secured against tipping over) would be useful.

What's needed is to be a UL listed ESS together with the inverter.

Back