diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.
HaHa rtfm lol.
I still would need to see some real-world tests in cold environments
I want to see hot states test's outside.
How would this (and the 18kPV) stand up to hail?
The metalwork is wayyyy thicker than a car, they should be fine. Who is going to do a baseball test !!!!
I think there's a limit of three when using the eg18k per the release thread.
Because of the supplied connectors and cables.
What's needed is to be a UL listed ESS together with the inverter.
Coming in the Autumn I understand.
Don't they have to be three feet apart?
12" per the manual.

Very nice video on this by the way. Might I suggest safety locks on the case in the next release to prevent tampering? Especially if placed outside.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
That would be cool with the lights

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
Have you tried it outside yet?

Are there any EG4 Inverters that work outside?

I think it's a pretty awesome looking battery with great specs (especially when you run multiple). Yeah it'll suck to place them but ya gotta tough it out. EG4 just needs to finish the certification process to really cement it as a great choice for those with picky permitting or who have insurance concerns.

I'm not sure many inspectors are that hard up on the 3' or 40 kWh rule. I know my city inspector didn't care. That's really in response to NMC/Li-Ion safety concerns IMO.

I noticed Sol-Ark comms settings config in the manual. I know as a company they're not hot on it but if it works...screw it. Not that I'm changing my setup but I dig it.

Last edited:
I think they are too big and weigh too much personally. I’d prefer the cabling be on one side, and controls be on the front instead of the side. I’d also prefer the wiring/cable tray be on the bottom for outdoor use. I like the direction they are going and look forward to what is next.

If these big batteries are going to be a thing, the manufacturers need to put a lifting eye on the top.

Then you can use an engine hoist to get them at the right height, block them up, and push back onto the bracket, then lower. Assuming it’s a French cleat of sorts. Or have someone hang off the back of the hoist while you push it into place.

View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

Server racks any day of the week

Can't believe I moved all of those batteries after leg day ? I'm never going back. I thought, what do I really want for a system. Ruixu stack and propower packs are my favorite. Almost 60kWh:
20230812_113350.jpg

It does look a lot better.

Personally I'd rather not be able see batteries and/or inverters at all unless I needed to. In that space I'd consider building an enclosure around them.

Regulations in Australia would require a bollard to be placed in front of those batteries.

What about running those PV cables through the wall rather than under the garage door?

i think trophy battery's 15kwh battery is a better option, at least for my application, since it is lighter smaller and more capacity
Yep, and so are the Mason kits IMHO
Same capacity ( or more if using 304 cells like I do), higher total available amps ( each battery has their own 200a BMS , stackable up to 8 in a standard server rack, can buy my own cells, and they are individually replaceable , can be build in max 2 hours, and will cost only 2400 per pack, so saves 1600 per 15 kwh, and that adds up..
Not to forget, a full server rack is a smaller footprint that 8 of these hanging off a wall, and much easier to protect ( one simply locks the doors)

Just my 2 cents

View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

Hey if you don’t want them I’ll take them! ;) Looks at his two 12v 100ah’s in parallel.

Back