diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

I was already looking at the PowerPro from the email they sent out but the weight is a bit much. Then I watched your videos and the weight is still a bit much. I have to admit I love the look but I've already got two racks of LP4s and probably going to get two more, so I'd have to buy four of these to be close on the capacity. It would save some space but I'd still have mismatched batteries. I'm thinking I'll end up going with two more racks just to keep it all consistent. And besides that, the weight is a bit much ... :ROFLMAO:

300 lbs! My hernia would have a hernia.

I kinda like the server rack form factor.
100Ah appears to be a sweet spot for maneuverability and still be compact.
I like the wall mount for my installation but I 100% agree that anything over 100Ah starts to become so heavy that it is a PITA to work with. I am not bashing SS because I have said the same thing about the Fortress eVault batteries and now Fortress is starting to listen.

Regarding server rack vs powerwall-style unit, this form factor is easier to fit into a garage with limited space, making it easier to install for charging EVs, and the simplicity of the cabling makes for quicker installs by commercial electricians as well as DIYers. The outdoor rating changes the game entirely, allowing installation on the exterior of the garage, along with the certifications that allow it to be part of a permitted and code compliant solution, including grid-tied, which addresses a much bigger market than rack mount systems.

This LFP unit is similar in storage capacity to Enphase, Fortress Power, Tesla Powerwall (upcoming gen 3 will be LFP), LG Chem, and other NMC, at less than half the price.

Rack mount systems have been used in telecom infrastructure for several years, and provide a great way to add capacity to the stack, e.g. starting with 3 units and scaling up to 6 in a rack, but have to be kept indoors or in a big climate controlled box outdoors, which is impractical for most homes. Just as rack mount systems rest on the floor, I prefer a 300 pound battery to rest on the floor. Aside from slightly lower cost, peak current and a few other features that might incline me toward rack mount, the main difference is the increment when adding another module, i.e. 15kwh at $4,000. Given the simplicity of adding it and the overall value, this new EG4 looks great to me.

For an indoor-rated scalable stack that is not a rack mount, the BYD Battery Box stack allows scaling up by adding modules (also LFP prismatic), as does the Seplos Polo system being tested by offgridgarage, which uses LFP pouch cells.

If you hung it on the wall it could potentially collapse your house into a black hole. Not good.
My electrical room is made out of pure steel reinforced concrete, if something catches on fire in there it is not spreading. The second thing is that it is 100% Hurricane proof.
I could put several 300 lb batteries all along the wall with concrete wall anchors.
It's lifting the batteries onto the Wall that is the problem!

it can be installed on the floor, manual states that it should be protected from possible water on the floor. For this I might use concrete pavers or cinder block and place it on top.
IMG_0795.png

Attachments

• IMG_0795.png
    IMG_0795.png
    544.7 KB · Views: 9
I was already looking at the PowerPro from the email they sent out but the weight is a bit much. Then I watched your videos and the weight is still a bit much. I have to admit I love the look but I've already got two racks of LP4s and probably going to get two more, so I'd have to buy four of these to be close on the capacity. It would save some space but I'd still have mismatched batteries. I'm thinking I'll end up going with two more racks just to keep it all consistent. And besides that, the weight is a bit much ... :ROFLMAO:

300 lbs! My hernia would have a hernia.

If you don't like weight, I suggest all HF inverters, and make sure they're compatible with the same voltage. I needed to boost 208Y to 480Y.

I can barely flop one of these toroids by hand. Tried to lift all three with 1 1/4" pipe extension on engine hoist, all I got was a curved pipe.

The other transformers I've got are 250 to 350 lbs.
Transformer type inverters, 145 lbs (except little 2.5kW ones). The transformerless are about 75 lbs, Except 30kW TriPower is 121 lbs.

You're complaining about 300 lb. batteries? My 8x 405 Ah 6V AGM totals 1000 lbs.
I was able to move them through the yard with a dolly. At 120 lbs each and low to the ground, pretty manageable.

I don't understand why the weight is such a big deal for some people. How often are you moving these batteries?

It's like the TV in your living room. It gets plugged in and stays that way until you move lol
It didn't take 2 men and a large boy to install my tv.

Mine did. 32" Sony Wega. (live auction find. Someone was mismanaging a trust, so I picked up a few things being sold to recover money.)
But the 32" 4k flatscreen, that I can carry that in one hand. (A monitor that I don't need glasses to see.)

I could put several 300 lb batteries all along the wall with concrete wall anchors.
It's lifting the batteries onto the Wall that is the problem!

On battery weight, I still have 20 kWh of sealed lead acid, weighs in at the best part of half a tonne.

At least they are individual batteries each weighing 60 kg so are just luggable. They come with rope handles built-in but I do not want to be moving them often!

Once the batteries are in place, why do they need to move?
I've needed to move mine to reconfigure them a few times. It makes for a big day as mine are inside a housing and I have a disability which makes some movement actions very awkward. At the moment I'm OK for capacity so hoping I won't need to do any moving any time soon. There is no chance I could manoeuvre anything heavier in the space I have.

diy solar

diy solar
Back