diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

I'm not too worried about the rules put in place to prevent thermal runaway on a battery chemistry that doesn't really exhibit thermal runaway.

I'm guessing once LiFe cells become more prolific these standards will be updated anyway.
My thoughts exactly.
just reading the UL9540 it is like they have Li-ion cells in mind, although it doesn't make (that I could see) any exception (yet) for LiFePO4 cells. Just leaves the door open for 'large scale fire testing' to confirm suitability. I am sure those tests will not be cheap, and will never apply to DIY ESS.
I have all my solar set up in a separate, distant metal building and run only AC power to my home next door, for all these reasons.

Edit: and I am planning ESS of 84.1kWh plus V2H EV parked next to it (behind suitable bollards) lol.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
This form factor makes the most sense for me, and I assume others. I'm moving in a couple years. And can't wait to see where the industry is. I'm sure these batteries will be cheaper when I'm REALLY ready. Keep up the good work. For now I get by with my 4 Weize 100ah LiFePo4. :(

So when is somebody going to develop a fully wired solar shed with batteries,inverter,heater, a/c that can just be trailered into a property?
like a 20-foot seacan, solar tiltups on both long sides/roof (8kW PV) , EG 18kW inverter and 4 Powerpro ESS, insulated, climate controlled interior. float service to your nearest point of road access - Free shipping on Amazon? LOL.
4500 for the can
5500 for the EG 18
3700 for the PV
2500 for racking
16,000 for the ESS
3000 for wire, breakers, disconnects, load centre
$35k total
Sold as a kit, 'some assembly required'

like a 20-foot seacan, solar tiltups on both long sides/roof (8kW PV) , EG 18kW inverter and 4 Powerpro ESS, insulated, climate controlled interior. float service to your nearest point of road access - Free shipping on Amazon? LOL.
4500 for the can
5500 for the EG 18
3700 for the PV
2500 for racking
16,000 for the ESS
3000 for wire, breakers, disconnects, load centre
$35k total
Sold as a kit, 'some assembly required'
Noooo. I want it all fully integrated and pretty so I can post flex videos.

Will has to review it on YT first, though.
He did a solar trailer a while back. In the warmer states like Nevada and Texas would need a dedicated air conditioner like Will did.

I have been playing with that idea as well as are dozens who are following this thread. A trailer about the size of a towable generator could house a lot of hardware. Using panels over the top which are movable could shield from direct sunlight. But that is a topic for another thread.

In the meantime back to the original thread. This is a cool battery!

the meantime back to the original thread. This is a cool battery!
My post was indirectly related to this battery. Since I started watching Will's videos years ago ( and gave me the confidence to build my own system, thank you Will!) I've seen a definite trend toward more integrated products being marketed to DIY's away from build from scratch.

I may buy one. I would like to see some real world experience with this battery mounted outside in extreme weather. I just can't see how this could be practical given the temperature constraints.

That's an expensive amount of precision. Might as well just buy a homegrid product.
Expense is relative. They already have stamped or water jet panels so they already have much of the precision that’s needed. Just add a couple guide/centering pins and blind mate connectors.

For people mounting their inverter outside, it seems like a nice idea. I still would need to see some real-world tests in cold environments before I would be able to trust it in MI.
I would like to know how much power they use running the heater? That said I won't be mounting these in the weather.
I do agree with the others about the connectivity. It would be nice if you could put them side by side and not have to space them apart to get to the connections/controls.
? agreed
It does seem like a lot of weight, granted I haven’t weighed my 280ah DIY bank.
I was thinking about this. Don't the EG4 Lifepower4 weigh around +90#?
I wonder how much of the cost is put into “weather proofing”? I guess what I’m asking is would it be significantly cheaper to have the same design but not outdoor rated? I would imagine a lot of people would still be looking to put this indoors or in conditioned spaces vs outside.
This is a good point...I would much rather pay less for a strictly indoor version. That said, the heater would still be nice indoors so you don't have to condition the space besides great insulation.

Currently I have an EG4 6500EX and a full size fridge/freezer in a 5x7 insulated room. Between those 2 items, they put out great; I think they will keep the room warm enough.

How would this (and the 18kPV) stand up to hail? We just had a freak hailstorm in MI a few weeks ago with baseball (and some softball) sized hail. That storm has me thinking about anything I might put outdoors…
How did your panels fare?

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet.
So how well does it play WITH the EG4 Lifepower4 batteries?

I have 4 if them while I build off grid home... was going to add 8 more when finished. Looking at going with these 2-3 of these instead now.

I cant do anything else when I get a new idea ? planning to keep only the powerpro packs (2x in parallel to see how well they work with communication) and the ruixu tower. That will give me practically 60kWh and will look much better than the mess I had earlier:

View attachment 162415
Seriously interested in your EG4 Lifepower4's...

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.
I was told by Global Power back when they made 400ah batteries that I have 4 of, they are just too big and heavy.
Shipping is a pain, customers can’t move them.
That why they dropped down to the 5k units.

As it is the 5ks are almost 200 lbs.

You could easily make a 30kw battery but the weight would be close to 400 lbs.

Last edited:
If these big batteries are going to be a thing, the manufacturers need to put a lifting eye on the top.

Then you can use an engine hoist to get them at the right height, block them up, and push back onto the bracket, then lower. Assuming it’s a French cleat of sorts. Or have someone hang off the back of the hoist while you push it into place.
Fantastic ideas! You listening Signature Solar? ?

diy solar

diy solar
Back