diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have.

I think this is a great call, I’m willing to take those ugly SOK’s off your hands ;)
I wish the made it so they could easily be put one in front of another and attached to each other...and allow the wiring to run between the side compartments. Otherwise they consume a LOT of space left-to-right if they need to be screwed into the wall.

Also, the terminals being on opposite sides is a bit tough...I wish there was more room to allow them both to be on the same side.
agreed, the side to side space is kinda neat if you run them down a wall in your garage, but the wiring becomes a pain. Would be really neat if there was some form of a cube you could stack 4 inside of or something to that effect. I guess it’s just the nature of expanding battery banks, they become large quick.

I wonder what the giant Tesla battery installs look like inside, some form of a fancy server rack on steroids?

Still trying set money aside to go down the battery route and Will has the market corned on them :)

I'd probably stick with the server rack design even if I go diy build since I have so many air conditioned computer server rack towers sitting here.

I can’t decide if I prefer the vertical or server style more.
I don’t know that the weight is a real issue as I wouldn’t be moving them in any frequency
Although maybe it’s possible that the 220-230ah server rack style would be an ideal compromise for form and weight vs the 100ah and 280ah units?

200ah in one unit is a nice feature, would pair well with many smaller systems. Doubled up would pair excellent with medium sized systems

I do with the price was a bit cheaper, but doing the math they wouldn’t really be making any profit if they were 500 less so I guess it’s not too bad

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
i think trophy battery's 15kwh battery is a better option, at least for my application, since it is lighter smaller and more capacity

Can't believe I moved all of those batteries after leg day ? I'm never going back. I thought, what do I really want for a system. Ruixu stack and propower packs are my favorite. Almost 60kWh:
20230812_113350.jpg20230812_113358.jpg20230812_113411.jpg20230812_112549.jpg

I need to rewire this system and make it look cool. But damn, it's beautiful! So much space!

I think if you want to just buy one, or if you need ul, then probably the way to go. But I'll stick with my DIY. Under $3k each, 304ah, only 16" X 24", and around 210 pounds. I really wonder why their battery is so big and heavy. Pretty sure if I can squeeze the cells in this cabinet, they could too.

20230729_151507.jpg

I might buy one of these to test in my auxillary system. I'll have to build a special insulated shed/room I can load this with my tractor fork lift....

I think if you want to just buy one, or if you need ul, then probably the way to go. But I'll stick with my DIY. Under $3k each, 304ah, only 16" X 24", and around 210 pounds. I really wonder why their battery is so big and heavy. Pretty sure if I can squeeze the cells in this cabinet, they could too.

View attachment 162430
Nice! One of my raw cells systems is still running:
20230812_115220.jpg
The videos didn't get many views so I stopped making DIY raw cell systems. I really wish people shared those videos and got more views so I can make more of them. Oh well. I have to do what the people want.

Weight is the problem. They should make it in two cabinets you stack together. Ul9540 allows you to put 2 in the basement, 2 in the garage, and 2 outside. 6x14, or 84kWh.

Weight is the problem. They should make it in two cabinets you stack together. Ul9540 allows you to put 2 in the basement, 2 in the garage, and 2 outside. 6x14, or 84kWh.
Don't they have to be three feet apart? Or would these be tested together in "clusters" of two and three to be permitted that way?

View attachment 162430
Most likely the outdoor rating, and heat sink design contribute to the weight. Not to mention the heaters, and insulation…

Back