diy solar

diy solar

Ideas on how to get these panels on the roof?

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
Looking for ideas on how to get 8 - 40lb panels from the ground to the roof safely,
without damage to people or equipment.
8morerec365aajan252022 copy.jpg
corrugated_galvanized_workshop_roof copy.jpg
I have started installing the SnapnRack rails on the shed roof.
rail_installation_start.jpg
My daughter can help me on her day off, so two people will be available.

Thinking about some kind of ramp & rope to pull one up at a time.

It is currently impossible to rent any kind of machine to lift them, so much construction in this area, rental companies are always empty.

pull one up at a time with a hook on a rope, let it slide up the ladder with guidance from your daughter. maybe you can have the rope hang over the other side and someone can hold it while you secure the panel to the rail ...

I made a cradle out of rope. But I had a 30 yr old son-in-law pull them up

First mounting rail completed today!
I have had to work on it a little each day, it is over 100°f on the roof during mid-day, too much for me.

firstmountingrailready.png

If you have an extension ladder that works great. I pushed mine up the ladder in front of me as I climbed. The ladder has plastic hooks that keep the sections together. I hung/set the panel there and held it with my knees while I clipped in with my safety harness. Then I clipped a safety line onto the panel in case I dropped it, and hoisted it onto the mount. Its 14 feet in the air. The further from vertical the ladder is, the easier it becomes. This type ladder will work very well for a roof because you can extend the top of the ladder up past the roofline making it easier to lay the panel onto the roof (I generally work alone) or to hand them to your helper. My ladder is tied to the pole BTW so when I clip in it's pretty safe. I try to tie all my ladders off when working off the top :)
I see you are a HAM radio operator. The harness I use is actually my tower climbing harness lol. 73s de KD4ALD

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Panel on Ladder.jpg
    Panel on Ladder.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Progress on the shed roof PV project!
Made a ramp of 2- 21’ pieces of pipe.
Wife tied ropes to the panel, I pulled it up on the roof mounting rails, great!
Only 7 more to go, but it is starting to rain, so another day.
Hope for better weather later in the week, it was 89°f here today.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 16.35.53.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 16.35.07.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 16.35.35.png

Progress on the shed roof PV project!
Made a ramp of 2- 21’ pieces of pipe.
Wife tied ropes to the panel, I pulled it up on the roof mounting rails, great!
Only 7 more to go, but it is starting to rain, so another day.
Hope for better weather later in the week, it was 89°f here today.

View attachment 86937
Nice work getting them up there safely!

I really hate to mention this. You're likely over the max cantilever on the the bottom of that module. The long term issue is that it will flex too much in the wind and ultimately put micro cracks in the cells and shorten the life of your modules. Ask me how I know.....

One way to fix it is to run the rails vertically but since you're already there you can use a clamp like this to secure it to the module below it and really stiffen things up. https://www.solaris-shop.com/quick-mount-pv-qmqr-cp33-2-b-24-bronze-clamp/ Another way to fix it is to slide the bottom S-5 clamp down since that appears to be a style that is not relying on being screwed directly into structural members below the roof.

At the end of the day it might not be something to stress too much about but since this is a common issue that is not talked about I just wanted to try to help others out in the future if they happen to see this thread.

Nice work getting them up there safely!

I really hate to mention this. You're likely over the max cantilever on the the bottom of that module. The long term issue is that it will flex too much in the wind and ultimately put micro cracks in the cells and shorten the life of your modules. Ask me how I know.....

One way to fix it is to run the rails vertically but since you're already there you can use a clamp like this to secure it to the module below it and really stiffen things up. https://www.solaris-shop.com/quick-mount-pv-qmqr-cp33-2-b-24-bronze-clamp/ Another way to fix it is to slide the bottom S-5 clamp down since that appears to be a style that is not relying on being screwed directly into structural members below the roof.

At the end of the day it might not be something to stress too much about but since this is a common issue that is not talked about I just wanted to try to help others out in the future if they happen to see this thread.
Nice call there OzSolar.
It appears the rails are spaced so the panels could go on 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. That may help a bit, but they will catch more wind coming over the peak of the roof.

I was not sure about the rail spacing, so I just measured the ground mount and used the same dimensions. Hope it will be OK!
My phone is currently flashing some warning about: “Tornado Watch”, possibly the aerodynamics of the panel mount will be tested soon………

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 07.36.44.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-12 at 07.36.13.png

Back