diy solar

diy solar

If I wanted to build my battery bank in the next 45 days... who/what/when/where/how?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Ok so I would like to build something that is 12v, at least 200ah, at minimum 200amp bms... I actually like the idea of smaller battery banks, with their own smaller BMS running in parallel, I figure if one battery goes down I can still run at reduced capacity... I think this would also allow me to run a much cheaper BMW on each bank and still handle my high amperage requirements

I am not married to the idea of several smaller battery banks in parallel, just seems like it makes sense

I would like to get closer to 300ah if possible... but 200ah is the bared minimum

I would like to build within the next 45 days

So WHERE do I buy parts... what SHOULD I get... I understand how to build it... I just dont know WHERE to throw my money at... thanks in advance

Ok so I would like to build something that is 12v, at least 200ah, at minimum 200amp bms... I actually like the idea of smaller battery banks, with their own smaller BMS running in parallel, I figure if one battery goes down I can still run at reduced capacity... I think this would also allow me to run a much cheaper BMW on each bank and still handle my high amperage requirements

I am not married to the idea of several smaller battery banks in parallel, just seems like it makes sense

I would like to get closer to 300ah if possible... but 200ah is the bared minimum

I would like to build within the next 45 days

So WHERE do I buy parts... what SHOULD I get... I understand how to build it... I just dont know WHERE to throw my money at... thanks in advance
two car agm batterys would do it 1000 amp . less than 400 for that . in the long run go lithum. cheaper yet . its because of how long they last .. agm 5 years.. and the other 15 years. what can you afford to start with.

two car agm batterys would do it 1000 amp . less than 400 for that . in the long run go lithum. cheaper yet . its because of how long they last .. agm 5 years.. and the other 15 years. what can you afford to start with.
I plan to go lithium... just not sure WHAT I can build in the next 45 days... it's getting cold and i need the power soon

I plan to go lithium... just not sure WHAT I can build in the next 45 days... it's getting cold and i need the power soon

Are you in the US? Parts availability is very much dependent on where you live.

Assuming US, you can get Daly BMS units off Amazon these days (for around $30 more than from China).

For Battery cells, take a look at http://www.powerwholesale.net/ and see if they have what you need in stock in the TX warehouse. I know they just got a shipment of EVE 280ah cells because mine just shipped a few days ago. I've been dealing with Amy Zheng <amy@docanpower.com> over there and she has been very responsive.

Where do you live? Your options in each country will be different.

In the US.
If @OverkillSolar has the JBD in stock... they can get a decent 120A 12V jbd BMS pretty quickly.

Cells can be a challenge to get quickly. I saw some on AMAZON, but I have no idea how reputable they are.

There are various outlets that often have US stock for cells....but I have not kept track of who has what.

It is always best to start with your loads.

Two types of loads: Ah (amp hours) which is how long the batteries will last. Amps - which is the highest load that is needed to start some load

Why 12v? Are you in an RV? Often 24v is better (48v is even better if using a bigger inverter).

So what will you be running with the batteries?

Two types of loads: Ah (amp hours) which is how long the batteries will last. Amps - which is the highest load that is needed to start some load

Why 12v? Are you in an RV? Often 24v is better (48v is even better if using a bigger inverter).

I already have the loads figured out... 12v because thats what is already there... not going to fully rework this system, just need it to squeak but till summer hits... see my sig for existing system specs, should make more sense

All good questions that need to be understood *before* purchase.

If you are thinking to buy more than 3 12V battery. Please go for 24V.

You will find that it is lot easier and cheaper to work with.

Less amperage means, less wire sizing and fuse, and all those little gadgets.

Where do you live? Your options in each country will be different.

In the US.
If @OverkillSolar has the JBD in stock... they can get a decent 120A 12V jbd BMS pretty quickly.

Cells can be a challenge to get quickly. I saw some on AMAZON, but I have no idea how reputable they are.

There are various outlets that often have US stock for cells....but I have not kept track of who has what.
I am in the USA, right smack dab in the middle of the country

This is the first I've heard of this place, is their reputation good?

Check these links:

all in one

all in one
That is not likely to meet the '45 day' requirement.

1638903022124.png

Check to make sure they are in stock before you order, but otherwise that looks like a good option for the need.

Back