diy solar

diy solar

If you were starting today? Split-phase EG4 6500ex

Patrick1

Hello,

I was wondering if you were starting to set up your EG4 6500EX Split-phase system...
Would you go with "Common Neutral" or SDS?
Pros - Cons
Would you change your existing set up from one to the other? and Why?

So, some time has passed, and I think some of you are changing your setting for the common neutral.
this includes MPP LV6548.

Any thoughts?

So, some time has passed, and I think some of you are changing your setting for the common neutral.
this includes MPP LV6548.

Any thoughts?
I'd prefer as an SDS. The problem is the firmware updates for mobile don't work for the flickering lights or the MPPT lock at 90V PV input.

I plan on changing to common neutral this weekend with the stationary firmware update. If the problem persists, I'm putting the bonding screw back in after reverting back to the mobile firmware and contacting SS. It won't be pleasant after heading down the rabbit hole.

I am not rewiring my house to put lighting circuits on different circuits due to the voltage regulation problem.

What about the preference for a SDS and being able to service the inverters?
Nothing wrong with adding a 3PDT in a common neutral system for service or bypass of the inverters.

This weekend I have to open up one inverter and remove the screw. I'll simply throw the 3PDT to power the house while I remove the screw and update the firmware. When finished, I will throw the 3PDT back and run off the inverters.

Many pros to adding a transfer switch: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...s-diagram-correct-you-asked.56258/post-730082

Not many cons.

Ever touch a neutral that is open and has current?

I have, certainly tingles the senses.
I have became part of the return path more times than I care to admit. But the worst one was a loaded 277v lighting neutral. That one almost ended it all.
I will never forget how bad it hurt. It will probably cross my mind as I take my last breath. lol

Back