diy solar

diy solar

Illinois solar codes and rules

Ubershticky

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could point me in a general direction for the can's and cannot's of solar in Illinois? When i try to research all i get is directed to installers in my area trying to sell an overpriced plug and play system. I would like to have a stand alone non grid tie system and was wondering if it is aloud.

Idk if you live in an area that would notice it. But if you don't, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see how non grid tie is anybody else's business. But then again I'm in an extremely rural downstate area.. watching for an actual, educated answer..

Idk if you live in an area that would notice it. But if you don't, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see how non grid tie is anybody else's business. But then again I'm in an extremely rural downstate area.. watching for an actual, educated answer..
You sure ca't get a clear answer without being redirected to online to suppliers

So .... maybe get an estimate or 2 .... you'd probably learn a lot and not be obligated .... just have to fend off all the unwanted contact after that.

So .... maybe get an estimate or 2 .... you'd probably learn a lot and not be obligated .... just have to fend off all the unwanted contact after that.
As a contractor, I'd just like to ad. Free estimates aren't free. We have to make that up somewhere. Which means prices go up on every job, to pay the guys wages that does the estimates. I'm not scolding, or telling you not to. Just please don't get one from every contractor in the book. I'll cease my derailment, and exit the soap box now, thanks.

As a contractor, I'd just like to ad. Free estimates aren't free. We have to make that up somewhere. Which means prices go up on every job, to pay the guys wages that does the estimates. I'm not scolding, or telling you not to. Just please don't get one from every contractor in the book. I'll cease my derailment, and exit the soap box now, thanks.
I appreciate that sentiment .... maybe try to find a way to give those companies some business.

I appreciate that sentiment .... maybe try to find a way to give those companies some business.
Heck, you never know. You might get a number you like. It's just frustrating when you tell someone you can save them money doing it by the hour, only to have them demand a bid, that you have to pad for unknowns. So even if the unknowns don't cause problems, they're still paying for them. Dang it, I thought I was done derailing.

Heck, you never know. You might get a number you like. It's just frustrating when you tell someone you can save them money doing it by the hour, only to have them demand a bid, that you have to pad for unknowns. So even if the unknowns don't cause problems, they're still paying for them. Dang it, I thought I was done derailing.
Unfortunately .... most people aren't going to be that trusting of a contractor unless they know someone personally.
As I said, it's unfortunate .... There are just too many people doing crappy work and trying to rip people off ... That's bad for the customers and the good contractors.

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could point me in a general direction for the can's and cannot's of solar in Illinois? When i try to research all i get is directed to installers in my area trying to sell an overpriced plug and play system. I would like to have a stand alone non grid tie system and was wondering if it is aloud.
If you are going off grid, it really comes down to your local ordinances (if applicable). Are you in a city or county? That would be where I would start. Call the building department and see if they have any resources.

If you are going off grid, it really comes down to your local ordinances (if applicable). Are you in a city or county? That would be where I would start. Call the building department and see if they have any resources.
This. Your local building department should have some info for you

Back