diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

For some reason I get an error setting to 200a and so I'm set at 180a. This is what really pushed my solar charging that day to over 9k. Word things is when I run the dryer it takes almost 1500w of the 6000w from the batteries. I can watch as the system throttles back the amps from the panels.
Right now my batteries are topped off before I can harvest more than 6k of solar when the sun comes up...
That is odd with the dryer.

Are you using comms?

I set mine ([07]) last night to 180A and found this morning it was changed to 140A and now it's still 140A but battery has been full since noon.
That could be the BMS telling the inverter what to do.

When BMS communications is working Menu Item #07 (BMS Max Charger Current) is controlled by the Inverter firmware based on the SOC being reported by the master BMS and by one of the following depending on source of charging power:
1: Menu Item #28 Max AC Charger Current, default 60 amps.
2: Max PV Charger Current which I don't believe is menu settable but is modbus register 0xE001 default 200 amps.

The above two items set the max current the inverter will use while charging but based on SOC and in the case of PV as charging source the power available for charging after all loads are handled. You can periodically view Menu Item #07 and you will see it change as SOC changes and/or PV power changes.

The Inverter will revert to the manual setting for Menu Item #07 if BMS communications is disabled or the BMS/Inverter cable is disconnected (causing a BMS fault error which does nothing).

Disconnect the cable and then set/view Menu Item #07. Reconnect the cable and view again. You may have to exit the settings and go back in to see the update.

Battery Charge State, modbus register 0x10B;
0-Not Started,1-Constant Current,2-Constant Voltage,3-Reserved,4-Float Charge,5-Reserved,6-Active Charge,7-Active Charge

The inverter charge state will start at 1-Constant Current and somewhere above 95% SOC will transition to 2-Constant Voltage until the Master BMS reports 100% SOC at which time the inverter will stop charging. The inverter appears to not spend any time in float once 100% SOC is reached.

Menu Items #09 and #11 are set by the Master BMS and in my case when BMS communications is working are set to 57.2 vdc. These will revert back to 56 vdc the I program if I disconnect the BMS-Inverter communications cable.

33! That immediately got rid of the error! What does Pylontech refer to?
Pylontech is one of several communications protocols (software) that specifies how data (I.e. SOC, Voltage and Alarm data) is packaged and sent over the communication cable between devices. It's like speaking English or Spanish, both devices have to speak the same language.

RS485 and CAN (as well as RS232) are hardware communication protocols that specify how the "communication buss" works; Things like voltage and electrical signaling as well as device addressing are part of this specification. Like speaking English or Spanish over a landline or cell phone or walkie-talkie, both ends have to use the same hardware protocol

It's the communications protocol between inverter and batteries (BMS).

Nobody tells you that it has to be PYL but that's what the batteries speak. The inverter supports the other protocols as well.
Yep.... I think I had to get that info here in the forum as well as from Sungold as it is not really documented in the manual etc...

Edit:
OK, I have set it to 200A. My optimistic prediction is peak production of 9kW at 1pm which would be over 150A.
Well, maybe not. With faster charging, the batteries may be topped off before noon now.

well, as I noted the following day, the BMS had adjusted [7] down to 140A (and I don't know what it's set to right now), but I can see remotely that I hit 6.92kW output an hour ago, of which 6.8kW go to the battery, that's around 6800W/54.5V = 125A charging current -- pretty close.

Weather is overcast today.

I won't pull 7kW tomorrow either. It's going to be a very bad day for pv input.

It's 9:20pm and the battery bank is still at 95%!

Expecting 75-80% in the am and 100% by 11am.

Not much I can do. Hot tub is at 104F, PHEV fully charged. Maybe charging my phone.

20240716_212113.jpg

Pylontech is one of several communications protocols (software) that specifies how data (I.e. SOC, Voltage and Alarm data) is packaged and sent over the communication cable between devices. It's like speaking English or Spanish, both devices have to speak the same language.

RS485 and CAN (as well as RS232) are hardware communication protocols that specify how the "communication buss" works; Things like voltage and electrical signaling as well as device addressing are part of this specification. Like speaking English or Spanish over a landline or cell phone or walkie-talkie, both ends have to use the same hardware protocol
Kenny, you had previously shared with me what your settings were (see photos). I want to charge my batteries with my generator. What settings do I need to change (and to what) in order to do this? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8207.png
    IMG_8207.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8208.png
    IMG_8208.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 2
Kenny, you had previously shared with me what your settings were (see photos). I want to charge my batteries with my generator. What settings do I need to change (and to what) in order to do this? Thanks!
Hmmmm... I'm lost not sure that those are my settings (you have a link to the post?), also not sure what you are trying to do. Charge the batteries with a generator independent of the Inverter? If you are working independent of the inverter...i.e. just charging the batteries directly with the generator the inverter settings don't matter. If you are supplying power to the inverter from the generator, not sure the setting should be any different...

Hmmmm... I'm lost not sure that those are my settings (you have a link to the post?), also not sure what you are trying to do. Charge the batteries with a generator independent of the Inverter? If you are working independent of the inverter...i.e. just charging the batteries directly with the generator the inverter settings don't matter. If you are supplying power to the inverter from the generator, not sure the setting should be any different...
I can’t find those posts, maybe it wasn’t you. But yes, I need to charge my batteries using my generator, via the ac input on my inverter. I’m assuming some of my parameters in the inverter need changed, because I wired the ac input to the generator, but it didn’t start charging the batteries like I expected…

I can’t find those posts, maybe it wasn’t you. But yes, I need to charge my batteries using my generator, via the ac put on my inverter. I’m assuming some of my parameters in the inverter need changed, because I wired the ac input to the generator, but it didn’t start charging the batteries like I expected…

I can’t find those posts, maybe it wasn’t you. But yes, I need to charge my batteries using my generator, via the ac input on my inverter. I’m assuming some of my parameters in the inverter need changed, because I wired the ac input to the generator, but it didn’t start charging the batteries like I expected…
Ah....yes probably so.... If you want to "force charge" via the inverter there are a few things you'll have to adjust... I'm not in front of my manule...notes at the moment...maybe @42OhmsPA or others can chime in or I'll get back in a bit..

Ah....yes probably so.... If you want to "force charge" via the inverter there are a few things you'll have to adjust... I'm not in front of my manule...notes at the moment...maybe @42OhmsPA or others can chime in or I'll get back in a bit..
I’d like to set it up where I can start the generator if the batteries get low. I only temporarily have 10 panels hooked up, using the “solar first” settings, so when the RV is running the a/c and whatnot, there’s not enough juice to power the rv AND charge the batteries too.

Also, after running my batteries down, I’m getting error codes 30 and 32…can/do I do something about that, or just wait for them to charge?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 4
@Brian Kloosterman I don't have my ASF manual in front of me to see the notes I scratched for gen charging.

Going from memory I had to change output to UTI, change voltage range to APL and reduce grid charging current; I slowly increased it once the generator started charging. I'm probably forgetting something.

I can't help much with the 30 or 32 errors, I don't use comms; I would think you could change the percentages like you would change the voltages in open loop.

@Brian Kloosterman I don't have my ASF manual in front of me to see the notes I scratched for gen charging.

Going from memory I had to change output to UTI, change voltage range to APL and reduce grid charging current; I slowly increased it once the generator started charging. I'm probably forgetting something.

I can't help much with the 30 or 32 errors, I don't use comms; I would think you could change the percentages like you would change the voltages in open loop.
When you know those settings (and the setting number would be helpful too) for certain, please let me know! Thanks

Yeah, thanks @42OhmsPA set 01 to UTI and possibly have to set 06 to CUb ?
If your batteries are giving the 30 and 32 errors, that should do it but yeah otherwise maybe some more finessing with voltage levels/etc.

oh... are you running with communication enabled or USER mode? that might be affecting things too...

Yeah, thanks @42OhmsPA set 01 to UTI and possibly have to set 06 to CUb ?
If your batteries are giving the 30 and 32 errors, that should do it but yeah otherwise maybe some more finessing with voltage levels/etc.

oh... are you running with communication enabled or USER mode? that might be affecting things too...
I’m running in USER mode…

diy solar

diy solar
Back