diy solar

diy solar

IntegraRack: Ground Mount with Epoxy Ground Stakes and Ballast Options

No thanks. It looks ghetto. :)
Darn, I wish you could post actual alternative solutions here to help the community. It has to look a lot less "ghetto" than the IntegraRack as you claimed, so I would love for you to substantiate that claim with evidence. Or else your post does not really help anyone.

I'm finishing up my brightmount now and it only took an entire year and blood, sweat, and tears.

That's with some pretty big breaks of course, but between all the project stages it's at least several project days for even a competent DIYer I think. The way I did involved: Power augering footer, setting and aligning sonotubes, the concrete poor and anchor setting, and finally assembling.

Each of those are like two project days for me, especially aligning the sonotubes that was a painstaking process. And it involves setting the anchor bolts along a string line during the concrete pour. All that is paying off now during assembly though which is going well.
How much was the total project cost? How much was the concrete?

Yeah, it's a lot of work for the brightmount. Anyone with experience setting that thing up understands haha

How much was the total project cost? How much was the concrete?
If you don't count the auger and concrete mixer equipment, it was maybe $150 in sonotubes, bagged concrete, rebar, and galvanized L Bolt anchors and bolts per brightmount kit.

If you add all the labor though lol, quadruple the entire cost.

If you don't count the auger and concrete mixer equipment, it was maybe $150 in sonotubes, bagged concrete, and galvanized L Bolt anchors and bolts per brightmount kit.

If you add all the labor though lol, quadruple the entire cost.
:ROFLMAO: Indeed.

It has to look a lot less "ghetto" than the IntegraRack
I didnt say or imply that. Its probably equal. The rack is simply some used, dug up, trimmed, sanded, painted 1-5/8ths fence posts with U clamps holding unistrut. I guess that was a lot of work prepping the posts. But its Green! Recycled and solar.

As I mentioned in another message, I would love to replace it with something more nice.

Ever see those DIY workbench kits at the hardware store that you just add 2x4s and make a bench?
I could see something like that that uses pipe or strut to put together your own rack being a hot seller if implemented correctly. Would keep shipping costs low and allow end use to source the pipe / strut locally.

This is a timely thread for me as I'm trying to do a new ground mount. While looking into ways to do it I bumped into several versions of the below kit. An angled single slope option would be really nice but I didn't find any.

This is a timely thread for me as I'm trying to do a new ground mount. While looking into ways to do it I bumped into several versions of the below kit. An angled single slope option would be really nice but I didn't find any.

Did you look at Iron Ridge or these?

Very nice! And simple.

I wish someone had these corner brackets with different angles so we could have a 30 degree wooden solar mount! How cool would that be. Would take minutes to throw that together.

I've been googling like crazy to find other ground mount solar array options for diy systems, and the selection is abysmal. I knew that going in, but I am amazed more companies are not jumping at this market.

I saw a lot of plastic bin ones at the solar conference, but that's about it. And it seems like people do not like the plastic bin one going by sales.

I've been googling like crazy to find other ground mount solar array options for diy systems, and the selection is abysmal. I knew that going in, but I am amazed more companies are not jumping at this market.

I saw a lot of plastic bin ones at the solar conference, but that's about it. And it seems like people do not like the plastic bin one going by sales.
That’s what I was getting at page 1. Those bins are upwards of 75-85 a piece. These are much nicer for not much more

I would guess that most people commenting here would feel confident enough to figure out different ways to mount the solar panels, people who have only just started thinking about solar would be shy to comment. Having said that I would be interested in an overview video with pro's and con's of each of the various commercial and or home made options. And of course the in depth video's of the easier, better and more affordable solutions.

As an idea for other video's, I would be interested in (destruction) testing of DC circuit breakers, including programmable solid state? DC circuit breakers and solid state relays as well as fuses.

I am also interested in massive over-panelling for cloudy days in an of-grid situation and different panel types to understand the marketing hype.

Thanks for making those video's Will and every one commenting here trying to help out beginners like me. I know enough to build my own system, but there is still a lot more to learn.

I am also interested in massive over-panelling for cloudy days in an of-grid situation and different panel types to understand the marketing hype.
THIS
It seems to me that I would need over 5X the panels on a winters cloudy day than a on a typical sunny day in summer for the same output.

Back