diy solar

diy solar

Inverter between meter and panel

Bricktop

I am researching to make some changes to my grid tied current system and am still new to understanding the different solar layouts. I read where the eg4 18k or sol ark 15k have built in 200 amp breakers and can be installed between the meter and panel. How many people trust the inverter not to malfunction and then your out of power completely? Seems like that would be the easiest install but I'm alittle paranoid trusting an inverter to not fail. Maybe I'm wrong in my understanding of how that works but hopefully someone can give me their opinions on this question.

Take a look at the published wiring and connection diagrams for the products you are considering, they usually contain a means of "maintenance bypass" so the panel can be fed directly from the meter thus bypassing the inverter for maintenance or replacement. Bypass can be accomplished by a series of breakers or by a double throw safety or transfer switch.

If you are going to change or add a panel...use one after the meter to feed the inverter and then back feed your main panel with a generator interlock device. Seems to be the best of both worlds to me. Inverter problem, throw the interlock and go back to grid. Grid pass through by way of inverter if you don't have enough battery or its cloudy.

If you are going to change or add a panel...use one after the meter to feed the inverter and then back feed your main panel with a generator interlock device. Seems to be the best of both worlds to me. Inverter problem, throw the interlock and go back to grid. Grid pass through by way of inverter if you don't have enough battery or its cloudy.
Wiring in a simple transfer switch is far simpler and easier than a separate second CL panel and a gen interconnect back feed to a main.

If you’re already in it deep enough to be changing 200a main wiring to and from a 15k or 18k then putting it inline of the mains with the transfer switch is t any more difficult or a class of work or skill higher than what is already being practiced.

Wiring in a simple transfer switch is far simpler and easier than a separate second CL panel and a gen interconnect back feed to a main.

If you’re already in it deep enough to be changing 200a main wiring to and from a 15k or 18k then putting it inline of the mains with the transfer switch is t any more difficult or a class of work or skill higher than what is already being practiced
A simple transfer switch wont allow you to feed the inverter and still back feed your main panel, unless I am mistaken. Who wants to be throwing transfers switches all the time or who wants to only feed a few critical circuits.

A simple transfer switch wont allow you to feed the inverter and still back feed your main panel, unless I am mistaken. Who wants to be throwing transfers switches all the time or who wants to only feed a few critical circuits.
Yes a simple transfer switch will.

A simple transfer switch backs up your whole house and any downstream sub panels from the grid on one of its “ON” positions, the other “ON” position lets you feed grid to the inverter, then to any main and downstream sub panels.

It’s exactly how many of the manuals suggest to setup their inverters in line with main 200a residential feeds.

And no one wants to be throwing transfer switches ‘all the time’, no one will be either. The only time you’d be throwing it is if the inverter blows, goes offline for whatever reason or you want to upgrade or replace it. How often do inverters fail or do owners just decide to replace them-not very often…. Unless something else catastrophic happens you won’t be touching the transfer switch. Because you have solar and an inverter, why would you want to go and feed straight from the grid anymore?

Back