diy solar

diy solar

Inverter instead of generator on a Transfer switch

2nd House

West Texas Ranch
Hello All
Not sure if this is the correct forum...but I do have a tiny home, half grid and half DC...like a camper, where the DC is recharged via solar/grid.
I have a 30 amp WFCO Transfer Switch.
I am experimenting with this transfer switch to keep my refrigerator running if power goes out.
Instead of a generator, I am using an inverter on a battery bank.
Here's what is happening:
When power goes out, the transfer switch does click over to the inverter (after the prescribed 20 or 30 seconds), and the refrigerator works.
So this part is working correctly.
The problem is when power comes back on, the transfer switch does not "unlatch" and move back to Grid power, the inverted power continues, until I manually turn off the inverter.
Has anyone tried this with an inverter instead of a generator, and has anyone have any insight as to why the WFCO transfer switch does not unlatch to automatically go back to Grid.
Thank you

I am not familiar with that switch, but looking at the label it says to test it you start the generator and it will transfer from shore power.
So it may not work the way you want it to (when power goes out). Now I was using a different transfer switch for a project (with similar goal) and what I did to get it to behave the way I wanted was reverse the inputs. In other words use the generator input for the grid and the grid input for the inverter.

The cheapo rotary transfer switches on amazon work as desired. You have a primary / secondary input with a relay wire for each. The simplest configuration you attach the relay wires directly to the AC inputs at each input. As long as the secondary has power if the primary fails it will switch. It will always switch to primary regardless of the secondary state.

Now that I think about it. I may wire the transfer switch so the Inverter is default, then when Shore Power is connected, the relay energizes, so the Shore Power input will override the inverter. When Shore Power is disconnected (power failure) the relay deenergizes, and the inverter takes over again.

Does your inverter have an ECO function? With out one, you will need to turn the inverter on/off as your system cycles.

Now that I think about it. I may wire the transfer switch so the Inverter is default, then when Shore Power is connected, the relay energizes, so the Shore Power input will override the inverter. When Shore Power is disconnected (power failure) the relay deenergizes, and the inverter takes over again.

You got it.

An ECO function?
Economy, most inverters will draw 50-100w at idle with no load. Eco reduces it to 5-10 watts, but it requires a draw of 30 watts or so to automatically turn on the inverter. So turning on a 5 watt led light won't turn the inverter.

Back