diy solar

diy solar

Inverter set to relay to power power to chargeverter based on SOC?

MattMan119

Solar Geek
So protection against bad power with generators is common, but when you do fairs and have other unreliable power sources the last thing you want it allowing that power into your inverter to charge … so what if you have the contacts on inverter tripped a relay like

Twidec/Output Single Phase SSR Solid State Relay 100A 3-32V DC to 24-480V AC SSR-100DA https://a.co/d/0hC7Mn3K

That connected power to the chargeverter to charge batteries safely without fear of dirty power ?

Using the inverters contacts allow use of SOC that you can not have on the chargeverter while connected to inverter…

Thoughts?

Better relay choices? This one is limited to 40a and I’m not sure I would trust that ..

Matt

Looks like the manual for 6000xp calls for a relay of 250vac with max 5a

So would need this relay instead … (knowing the 60a is twice the size for max chargeverter 28amp)

SSR-60AA Solid State Relay AC to AC (Input 80-250V AC Output 24-380V AC) with Heat Sink, 60A https://a.co/d/0eLjdfpf

Are dryports really 250vac? I would have expected 12v or 24v ..

Looks like the manual for 6000xp calls for a relay of 250vac with max 5a

So would need this relay instead … (knowing the 60a is twice the size for max chargeverter 28amp)

SSR-60AA Solid State Relay AC to AC (Input 80-250V AC Output 24-380V AC) with Heat Sink, 60A https://a.co/d/0eLjdfpf

Are dryports really 250vac? I would have expected 12v or 24v ..
Maximum of 250 volts, maximum of 5 amps. It’s not an output, it’s a set of contacts you can use for whatever voltage and current you want within the limits above.

So protection against bad power with generators is common, but when you do fairs and have other unreliable power sources the last thing you want it allowing that power into your inverter to charge … so what if you have the contacts on inverter tripped a relay like

Twidec/Output Single Phase SSR Solid State Relay 100A 3-32V DC to 24-480V AC SSR-100DA https://a.co/d/0hC7Mn3K

That connected power to the chargeverter to charge batteries safely without fear of dirty power ?

Using the inverters contacts allow use of SOC that you can not have on the chargeverter while connected to inverter…

Thoughts?

Better relay choices? This one is limited to 40a and I’m not sure I would trust that ..

Matt
That SSR is widely acknowledged to be very seriously overrated, just think about how you’d get a 100A wire onto those terminals.

However, for the 30A maximum draw of the ChargeVerter it should be fine. I used a relay: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCJFGL9 because the voltage drop and power consumption are lower, but a properly heat-sinked SSR would probably be OK. Just be wareful, the coil contacts are fragile.

which one of you rocket scientists got this to work, because i'm in the same boat.
Got what to work? Generator dry contacts to relays to turn CV input power on and off? That’s easy.

Well, except for the part where the latest 18Kpv firmware breaks the generator dry contact function, but I can only hope they are working on that. Whether I’ll work around it with a Raspberry Pi interface first is anyone’s guess. 🤓

Got what to work? Generator dry contacts to relays to turn CV input power on and off? That’s easy.

Well, except for the part where the latest 18Kpv firmware breaks the generator dry contact function, but I can only hope they are working on that. Whether I’ll work around it with a Raspberry Pi interface first is anyone’s guess. 🤓
See my diagram above

where do you get the power to run through the dry contacts to energize the relay to supply 240 volts to the chargeverter. also, can't use the dry contacts in the chargeverter, because it don't know the SOC, and the voltage is not a reliable indicator of SOC. for instance, 53.3 volts on chargeverter ranges from 67 to 91% of soc on inverter.

where do you get the power to run through the dry contacts to energize the relay to supply 240 volts to the chargeverter. also, can't use the dry contacts in the chargeverter, because it don't know the SOC, and the voltage is not a reliable indicator of SOC. for instance, 53.3 volts on chargeverter ranges from 67 to 91% of soc on inverter.
Use the inverters dry contact, it’s has the SOC and can relay the power to chargeverter

The relay coils are connected to L1 of the grid, and I switch in the Neutral of the grid when I want to pull in the 120VAC relay coils.

I've got the CVGC both set to 52 volts, and they are pretty good about sharing the load, but that's anywhere between 24-27% SOC, which is why I want to get the dry contacts to run under program control.

And EG4/SS have admitted that the software for the CVGC isn't ready for prime time, so even if there were a Modbus register list and/or some kind of API, I wouldn't be using it... Yet.

diy solar

diy solar
Back