diy solar

diy solar

Is Battleborn worth it? $$$$

MinnesotaGuy

I have 2 Battleborns and they are fantastic. When I have emailed them, ...are you ready for this???.....THEY call me back on my cell, even though they could have used email. Also, they are assembled in the U.S. and they have a great warranty. I recently purchased a PowerUrus with built in Bluetooth and that seems great also a half the price. When I had a question, I emailed them and got NO response.

So my question is this: aside from the great customer service and a warranty that actually might be honored (in contrast to the fly-by-night Chinese folks)...is there something INSIDE the battery that makes the 50% up- charge worth it?

I have 2 Battleborns and they are fantastic. When I have emailed them, ...are you ready for this???.....THEY call me back on my cell, even though they could have used email. Also, they are assembled in the U.S. and they have a great warranty. I recently purchased a PowerUrus with built in Bluetooth and that seems great also a half the price. When I had a question, I emailed them and got NO response.

So my question is this: aside from the great customer service and a warranty that actually might be honored (in contrast to the fly-by-night Chinese folks)...is there something INSIDE the battery that makes the 50% up- charge worth it?
I picked up 4-EG4 12v 100ah batteries last week for $1055 after tax and shipping.

20231203_162419.jpg

They use cylindrical cells which are supposed to be more durable.

IMO, they are definitely not worth it for a stationary application or motorhome.

Maybe a good choice for an overlander or something like that.

The cost/benefit has been superceded.

purchased a PowerUrus with built in Bluetooth and that seems great also a half the price.

is there something INSIDE the battery that makes the 50% up- charge worth it?
Cost in your example is 100% markup. Assuming your PowerUrus was $450, a 50% markup would $675.

Last I checked BB is listed retail around $900+

Or in my example, I picked up 4-EG4 12v at the same price as a single BB battery cost. (Obviously shipping was higher for 4 EG4 batteries when compared to a single BB)

I recently purchased a PowerUrus with built in Bluetooth and that seems great also a half the price. When I had a question, I emailed them and got NO response.

I have gotten a reply from Powerurus EVERY single time. They have not dropped the ball once and I’ve asked them a lot of questions!

However, they usually take 12-48 hours to reply. Average being about 18 hours.

What email address are you using to contact them?

I have only used “hello@powerurus.com”. I’ve been super impressed with their customer service.

They just had a great sale: $590 for the 200Ah 12v. They want over $2000 in Battle bucks for similar!

I don't think battle born will be around much longer...
But I thought the same about relion and dakota, they still around, prices still sky high...

I don't think battle born will be around much longer...
But I thought the same about relion and dakota, they still around, prices still sky high...
I have never understood being willing to pay that much for a battery when there are so many to choose from at a 1/4 of the price.

But there will always be someone that thinks dumping that much money means they are getting the best so it has to be worth it. I call it drinking the cool-aide :)

Well lithonics is the most expensive of them all but they have contracts with winneabago so they could careless if they sell a single battery to anyone.

Not that long ago, battle born was the victron of batteries. More choices now.

I’ve got a couple. They are nice.

The battery fire video disappearing bothers me.

Yep…not only do mine work great, they make your rig look cool…(but then I am sorta shallow).
J.

Cost in your example is 100% markup. Assuming your PowerUrus was $450, a 50% markup would $675.

Last I checked BB is listed retail around $900+

Or in my example, I picked up 4-EG4 12v at the same price as a single BB battery cost. (Obviously shipping was higher for 4 EG4 batteries when compared to a single BB)
I have never been charged any shipping for any Battleborne…I think that’s included in the price.

In your picture I can clearly see that the battleborn’s are looking down their nose at the EG4’s ?

...is there something INSIDE the battery that makes the 50% up- charge worth it?

BattleBorns do something that no other company does, as far as I can tell. They capacity match and top-balance their cells before putting them into batteries. This means when you get one of their batteries, it's ready to go. You don't have the over-voltage cutoff issues that myself and others deal with when working with batteries from the likes of LiTime or SOK.

If I'm wrong and there's some other company that actually puts in this work, I'd LOVE to hear about it!

BattleBorns do something that no other company does, as far as I can tell. They capacity match and top-balance their cells before putting them into batteries. This means when you get one of their batteries, it's ready to go. You don't have the over-voltage cutoff issues that myself and others deal with when working with batteries from the likes of LiTime or SOK.

If I'm wrong and there's some other company that actually puts in this work, I'd LOVE to hear about it!
4 batteries for the price of one tops keeping from having to charge the batteries when they arrive in my opinion.

400ah worth of runtime tops 100ah of a battery that doesnt need to be charged when it arrives in my opinion.

4 batteries for the price of one tops keeping from having to charge the batteries when they arrive in my opinion.

If charging is all they needed, then I'd agree.

The issue I'm having is when a battery hits over-voltage protection at 13.8 volts. Then when an inverter has a large load, pulls some power, then sends it back, the whole systems spikes over-voltage because there's nowhere to put the power, and you've got issues.

If charging is all they needed, then I'd agree.

The issue I'm having is when a battery hits over-voltage protection at 13.8 volts. Then when an inverter has a large load, pulls some power, then sends it back, the whole systems spikes over-voltage because there's nowhere to put the power, and you've got issues.
One thing that helps though with 4 of them you have a much larger area to drop the load back into so you should wind up with it not taking the system out. Now one for one maybe but having 4 for the price of 1 probably would solve that I'd imagine.

Also with 4 of them each battery is under less of a strain so it hopefully will finish it's balancing out fairly quickly with no issues while waiting on it to happen. This of course is all guesswork and may not work out that way.

BattleBorns do something that no other company does, as far as I can tell. They capacity match and top-balance their cells before putting them into batteries.
with their design they have to, not out of the goodness of their hearts
This means when you get one of their batteries, it's ready to go.
charging a battery to full is not an inconvenience to me
You don't have the over-voltage cutoff issues that myself and others deal with when working with batteries from the likes of LiTime or SOK.
cant comment on this one. hasnt happened to me.

Back