diy solar

diy solar

How to get warranty help for an SOK 48V100 battery?

Got feedback from SOK battery - Min reached out to Nick at Inverters-R-Us but apparently forgot to forward them the email inquiry with the customer details. SOK was not trying to blow OP off or leave ignored, they just had poor communication with the seller. Normally I get looped in on this communication but for some reason the ball got dropped this time.

Either way, I'm waiting on @reader2580 to send me a DM with details about his root cause so we can get the right parts sent and get the issue resolved for good.

I also am in contact with @smickie6000 and working through that issue right now.
Finally got our email problems straightened out and now communicating ???...... Dexter reached out and were moving forward in a positive way.

18650 battery store is a reputable US vendor that sells legitimate grade A cells.

You can pick up a JBD or JK BMS for under $200 and replace the failed BMS in your SOK pack. (I did this exact thing with some 12v packs I bought for an insane deal from CC savings shack).
Agree, and I would recommend the poster get an appropriate charger or cheap DC power supply. Then drain and balance the individual cells prior to replacing the BMS. Google “top balancing lifepo batteries”. This will give an indication what cond the cells are in.
I just did this successfully and didn’t previously know ANYTHING about battery construction. Mine were just asleep and out of balance. It’s easy to work on SOKs. Changing the BMS is almost as easy as changing a light bulb with the right tutorials

don't work that it affects my mental health. I think Current Connected will be more responsive if I need help diagnosing issues than the previous vendor. Ideally, I don't have to contact anyone and the stuff just works. That is why I plan to spend a week or two living in my motorhome next summer before my trip trying to stress test the system.

I hear that piece loud and clear. I apologize for being brash and judgemental.
I hope dexter and current connected can prove to you that they will stand by their word and you can enjoy stress free travels

Dexter had me check the voltage of all the cells and one of them is only at one volt. The other cells are all above three volts and pretty well balanced. I am not sure that explains why the BMS is doing crazy things and not reporting any pack voltage, cell voltage, or cell temperatures.

We bought 20 BMSs and air shipped them in a few weeks ago; 15 of them immediately went straight to a customer that got struck by lightning (blew 4 and the other 11 were questionable).
Do you have any details on why the batteries got zapped? Wondering how the lightning got to it (hit building batteries were in?) and if there was and surge protection devices.

Dexter had me check the voltage of all the cells and one of them is only at one volt. The other cells are all above three volts and pretty well balanced. I am not sure that explains why the BMS is doing crazy things and not reporting any pack voltage, cell voltage, or cell temperatures.
Hm, maybe. But at the very least you've got a bum cell.

We're going to replace the pack. Just confirming shipping details and getting the return processed. I want to get this pack back to do further testing and failure analysis.

Do you have any details on why the batteries got zapped? Wondering how the lightning got to it (hit building batteries were in?) and if there was and surge protection devices.
The building that the inverter was in (and panels on) had a direct hit. Inverter literally blew in half (outback system).

We're going to replace the pack. Just confirming shipping details and getting the return processed. I want to get this pack back to do further testing and failure analysis.

The building that the inverter was in (and panels on) had a direct hit. Inverter literally blew in half (outback system).
? nice that you are still covering the warranty... usually there is exceptions for "act of God".

As said before...
Above and beyond

? nice that you are still covering the warranty... usually there is exceptions for "act of God".
Full disclosure, the ones that were completely failed were paid for by the customer out of pocket. The ones that were questionable I covered because then we never have to question them going forward.

Also the customer was bleeding cash quite a bit at that moment (to get the rest of the system fixed). I didn't want to burden him with another $1500 expense some may consider an unnecessary (if it isn't broken, don't pay to fix it type of situation).

We unfortunately don't do lightning simulation tests during R&D and do not know what new failure modes are introduced after this type of abuse so it's better safe than sorry.

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY I SHOULDN'T GET WARRANTY REPAIRS FOR A PRODUCT UNDER WARRANTY? I HOPE THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU NEED WARRANTY REPAIRS FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T GET ANY HELP. No, I am not the person who had lightning strike. That is a different Current Connected customer.

I followed the rules and contacted the manufacturer. I waited SIX weeks before I posted something here. Apparently, the ASSHOLES here think it is okay for the manufacturer to never reply to my email, and to not provide any warranty service. I tried called the manufacturer and the message on their phone line said to email them so I did that. I got a reply asking for the dealer's name and order number. I replied and heard radio silence for six weeks. I even sent a follow-up email after four weeks and no reply.
You should update your thread title...
You can click / tap the 3 dots at the bottom left side of your 1st post, that will let you edit the title. You can also click / tap the 3 dots above the first post to edit it.

Something like Current Connected goes above and beyond to honor SOK warranty would be fitting.

Sir, it’s not worth the sanity or lost sanity. I had expressed some unpleasant opinion on prior pages and apologized.
Many of the comments in here by you and others can be interpreted in numerous different ways. Some can be easily misconstrued, which I think has happened a bunch in your case.

I wouldn’t allow a bunch of randoms on the internet interfere with you seeking and receiving resolution. It’s not worth it. Take some deep breaths, tune out the garbage noise, and get back to where you can enjoy the RV is my final input to this thread.

Best wishes

You should update your thread title...
You can click / tap the 3 dots at the bottom left side of your 1st post, that will let you edit the title. You can also click / tap the 3 dots above the first post to edit it.

Something like Current Connected goes above and beyond to honor SOK warranty would be fitting.
Why? The truth remains that SOK did not provide any warranty help. If I waited for assistance from SOK the warranty would be over and I never would have received any assistance from them. I have yet to find anything that says to contact Current Connected for SOK 48V100 battery warranty even if you didn't buy the battery from Current Connected.

There is a big SOK logo on the battery so naturally I reached out to SOK for help with the manufacturer's warranty. I verified on sokbattery.com that the warranty is listed as ten years for the 48V100 before I contacted them.

I'm not being scammed out of a battery, I'm doing my job to support you, per my agreement with SOK battery. SOK covers warranty replacements, not me personally...

At this point, I notifying everyone - SOK battery, Inverters R US and my warehouse team to put a hold on doing anything for you. If you decide you would like help, you need to send an email to to me, dexter@currentconnected.com and work this out privately.

Apologies to OP if I misunderstood the facts. Lots of deleted posts so hard to keep track.

all the best.

Most interesting tidbit brought up in this thread was making me wonder if should have a Midnite SPD-115 on my main battery circuit. When I had lead acid batteries it might not have mattered as much but now with all the BMSs attached to each battery it has got me thinking.

Back