diy solar

diy solar

Is fast shore charge worth the extra $$$?

FlyingAvocado

Hello! I am currently looking at building a 105Ah 24V LiFePO4 battery for camping trips. One feature I would like to have is the ability to quickly charge the battery from shore power. I came across the Mean Well NPP-1700-24 which outputs 50A and sells for about $350, and was looking at the recommended AIMS battery chargers on mobile-solarpower.com. The AIMS charger maxes out at 37.5A at 24v, and currently is selling for about $265. Since I haven't had any experience with actually using the battery yet, I am curious if anyone has any experiences or opinions about the value of getting a faster shore charge. Is it even worth the extra $80-100 -- or is this money better spent elsewhere in the system?

It's worth it if you really need to recharge the battery more quickly. A 105Ah battery can be fully recharged from 0% to 100% in a touch over 2 hours at 50A. The 37.5A charger would take just under 3 hours. With a 10A charger it would take 10.5 hours.

So how often will you have a nearly dead battery that you need to fully recharge in 2 hours versus 3 hours, or just plugging it in the night before and letting it charge more slowly overnight?

Hello! I am currently looking at building a 105Ah 24V LiFePO4 battery for camping trips. One feature I would like to have is the ability to quickly charge the battery from shore power. I came across the Mean Well NPP-1700-24 which outputs 50A and sells for about $350, and was looking at the recommended AIMS battery chargers on mobile-solarpower.com. The AIMS charger maxes out at 37.5A at 24v, and currently is selling for about $265. Since I haven't had any experience with actually using the battery yet, I am curious if anyone has any experiences or opinions about the value of getting a faster shore charge. Is it even worth the extra $80-100 -- or is this money better spent elsewhere in the system?
I had not heard of the Mean Well before.

A couple of things to note: they specifically specify that it is for lead acid batteries, though I don't see why they wouldn't work for LiFePO4 if you can put up with the unnecessary float phase. I would ask them about it.

I assume the adjustable voltage sets both the "boost" (not my term) and the float voltages in tandem, but they don't address this on their data sheet. If so, is the delta fixed or proportional?

The AIMS charger will automatically adjust for 12V or 24V systems. The Mean Well are single voltage products.

Cheers!

Hello! I am currently looking at building a 105Ah 24V LiFePO4 battery for camping trips.
What are you useing for an inverter? Perhaps consider a 24v growatt all-in-one and use it to charge the battery from the grid when you get home. It supports 40a of grid charging. And you could hook solar up to it for portable charging also. Will has several videos showing how to build temporary power systems with extension cord ends useing the AIO's.

Very interested in your results.
I had the AIMS - it was terrible
I have had other good Meanwell stuff

I am curious if anyone has any experiences or opinions about the value of getting a faster shore charge. Is it even worth the extra $80-100 -- or is this money better spent elsewhere in the system?
I use an AIO in my camper that can charge from ac at 40 amps. It was super helpful at the state park where there is no shore power, heavy shade and only 5 hours total generator time allowed during the day at times when campers should be away from the camp site enjoying nature. Being able to recoup 80 amps in 2 hours made our stay this late spring super convenient.

I use an AIO in my camper that can charge from ac at 40 amps. It was super helpful at the state park where there is no shore power, heavy shade and only 5 hours total generator time allowed during the day at times when campers should be away from the camp site enjoying nature. Being able to recoup 80 amps in 2 hours made our stay this late spring super convenient.
I agree. The faster you can charge and RV or other similar device the better off you are. Well worth $100 to upgrade.

Only thing I would be concerned about is that Meanwell will draw close to 15amps. Hopefully it's output is adjustable as you might find yourself with breakers tripping in weird campsites.

How much power do you use overnight while camping?
Assuming you are referring to us the answer varies. If we are using air conditioning our mini split will consume 3 to 5 hundred watts overnight. In the case of our late spring trip to the Adirondacks we did not use air conditioning but we have a lot of roof fans that approach 100 watts on a warm ish night. I have a separate 12v system with it’s own 100ah lifepo4 battery that runs all the dc loads. I can recharge it when my 48v system is on but overnight I usually have it off to avoid idle power consumption. After 3 days of rain parked in the full shade I needed a little more power If we were going to make coffee in the morning. I only had to use the generator once if I didn’t have the fast charge it would have been several times.

Given a choice id always go with Meanwell. That range of chargers fully supports lithium and has programmable thresholds and constant current settings. Hence the supply current could be controlled

Worth it for generator power to limit run time.

For campground utility power I assume you will be there a minimum of 12 hours and speed is not near as important. And if driving all day and leaving in the morning the alternator should be keeping things topped up anyway.

Some campgrounds have limited power and poor voltage. That MW 1700 is about max I would run. One of the smaller versions is probably fine too. I use the MW 450 if needed. A 24v RV converter is probably the best value.

Back