diy solar

diy solar

Is Solar Assistant-Raspberry PI a reliable remote monitoring/control solution

It's going to take a while for me to start calling for any API's I think!
Once you install Home Assistant and set up the Energy dashboard (a standard thing with HA) and add the Solcast integration, then you will, perhaps without even knowing it. There's just a trick needed for those limited to 10 calls/day. There are guides and a forum thread on the HA forums to help.

Is there a way to access / set all the inverter settings with SA? I have a Deye hybrid inverter and I see only the work mode and TOU settings, none of the battery / grid settings...

Screenshot_20230502-102738_Firefox.jpg

I guess maybe. I have a 15k and it’s not officially supported. It seems to work but I still use the manufacturers app to make TOU/Battery changes and the inverter itself to make grid changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to access / set all the inverter settings with SA? I have a Deye hybrid inverter and I see only the work mode and TOU settings, none of the battery / grid settings...
I don't know about that inverter but to change mine I go to the SA Configuration tab and click on the inverter settings link:

Screen_Shot_2023-05-02_at_12_39_49_pm.png

That then opens up a whole raft of settings options.

Well crap just got schooled. Good job I’ve never noticed that before.

I use the power tab.
And click on the highlighted (Inverter currently set at)
It's more efficient for me. Because it saves me some scrolling.

Can anyone comment on linking SolarAssistant to Home Assistant, vs going with just Home Assistant with the Deye plugin?

Hi I got a question. Is there a possibility to see individual cells and there charge current using solar assistant and daly bms.

I have a Growatt SPF and 2 identical DIY batteries, each using a JBD/Overkill BMS. So if I replace the Bluetooth modules on the BMS with the USB converters, does SA then tell the Growatt true SOC allowing me to use the Lithium battery setting as opposed to the USE setting which just tries to guess at SOC based on voltage? I've been considering the JK BMS to get this battery to inverter communication function but if SA does it, that would be easier to implement.

I have a Growatt SPF and 2 identical DIY batteries, each using a JBD/Overkill BMS. So if I replace the Bluetooth modules on the BMS with the USB converters, does SA then tell the Growatt true SOC allowing me to use the Lithium battery setting as opposed to the USE setting which just tries to guess at SOC based on voltage? I've been considering the JK BMS to get this battery to inverter communication function but if SA does it, that would be easier to implement.
Solar Assistant does not report SOC to the inverter.
It receives the information and reports it to you.
It's a system monitor that can remotely change settings.

SA then tell the Growatt true SOC allowing me to use the Lithium battery setting as opposed to the USE setting which just tries to guess at SOC based on voltage?
In my case the SOC figure comes from the BMS to my SolArk and the SolaArk uses the BMS values for SOC, voltage and charging current. My situation may be unique because my Orion BMS does not have an interface to Solar Assistant but it does have an output that can be used when I turn on the LiBatt tab of the SolArk. The real value of closed communication is that my BMS is more acurate with regard to SOC and voltage and I would rather use that value.

Last edited:
In my case the SOC figure comes from the BMS to my SolArk and the SolaArk uses the BMS values for SOC, voltage and charging current. My situation may be unique because my Orion BMS does not have an interface to Solar Assistant but it does have an output that can be used when I turn on the LiBatt tab of the SolArk. The real value of closed communication is that my BMS is more acurate with regard to SOC and voltage.
I'm confused on how communications with the Sol-Ark makes the BMS more accurate on SOC and voltage.

I'm confused on how communications with the Sol-Ark makes the BMS more accurate on SOC and voltage.

It enables them both to get their stories straight under interrogation. Don't want one of them saying something different than the other.

I could have phased it differently. When I had no communication between the SolArk and the BMS the value from the BGMS was more acurate. That was also the case with my previous Outback inverter. I would guess that the BMS had a better Coulomb counter. Also the Voltage reported by the BMS was more acurate when calibrated to my Fluke VOM. When I connected the BMS to the SolArk, the SolArk used the BMS SOC value and the voltage reported by the BMS.

It enables them both to get their stories straight under interrogation. Don't want one of them saying something different than the other.
Yes, essentially when the BMS is connected to the SolArk, the SolArk uses the BMS values. In other words after interrogation. I decided which one to believe.

Back