diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS CAN bus comms now possible for inverters that support Goodwe and Pylontech batteries

Hello, there's a compilation error with ESPHome 2023.4.0, because of this modification :

UART ids​

Due to uart0 / uart1 / uart2 being defined in some of the platform code ESPHome uses, ESPHome will now disallow these ids from being used in the config. You can simply change them to uart_0 to continue using.

Maybe you should change the examples files ?

Updating /config/esphome/jk-bms.yaml
------------------------------------------------------------
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/jk-bms.yaml...
INFO Updating https://github.com/uksa007/esphome-jk-bms-can.git@main
Failed config
uart: [source /config/esphome/jk-bms.yaml:109]
- ID 'uart0' is reserved internally and cannot be used.
id: uart0
baud_rate: 115200
rx_buffer_size: 384
tx_pin: GPIO17
rx_pin: GPIO16
debug:
direction: BOTH

jk_modbus: [source /config/esphome/jk-bms.yaml:118]
- id: modbus0

ID 'uart0' is reserved internally and cannot be used.
uart_id: uart0
=========== [ERROR] /config/esphome/jk-bms.yaml ===========

Hello, there's a compilation error with ESPHome 2023.4.0, because of this modification :

UART ids​

Due to uart0 / uart1 / uart2 being defined in some of the platform code ESPHome uses, ESPHome will now disallow these ids from being used in the config. You can simply change them to uart_0 to continue using.

Maybe you should change the examples files ?

Updated code, can you please test and let me know if this resolves your issues?
  • V1.13.1 24/4/23 Fix compile issues with new version of ESPhome 2023.4.0, set rebulk offset to 2.5

Hello i'm still having disconnection issues, but I can't figure out if it's wifi related or anything else.
The same way used to upload the code onto the ESP32.
I don't understand this part, I uploaded the code through Home assistant ESP implementation ?

If I activate the logs in the YAML there's really a lot of things reported so it's difficult to diagnose :(

Hello i'm still having disconnection issues, but I can't figure out if it's wifi related or anything else.

I don't understand this part, I uploaded the code through Home assistant ESP implementation ?

If I activate the logs in the YAML there's really a lot of things reported so it's difficult to diagnose :(
I use ESPhome on windows, so that how I get logs.

edit
If you are using the HA addon.
You can just download the logs from the Logs window of your ESPhome device.

c2b33dccfb3c4dfac2a442079634910e2fd01826.png

Yes that's how I do but when I loose connection, there's no logs anymore ?
Hopefully it will give me an idea of what's going on.

Else you can connect to it using a USB cable and serial terminal 115200 8N1.

Here’s what I fetched
Any chance you can download the logs and attach them here?

What is the value of "Uptime Human Readable" sensor in Home Assistant or in the logs?

It looks like the ESP disconnected from WiFi, what is its WiFi signal like?
Try to move it closer to the access point or try changing the channel on the access point

Last edited:
Any chance you can download the logs and attach them here?

What is the value of "Uptime Human Readable" sensor in Home Assistant or in the logs?

It looks like the ESP disconnected from WiFi, what is its WiFi signal like?
Try to move it closer to the access point or try changing the channel on the access point
I have a repeater with the same ssid as the router and the esp has connected to the router instead of the repeater. I have specified the bssid instead the ssid and it works fine :)

Last edited:
Multi BMS Alpha code now released.
Update: Alpha V2.16 more info here

I completed and implement the initial design, the data is now combined from the slaves as per the design.
I have made many improvements and made the code more robust, see the above link for more info.

Future plans include adding Multi BMS support for JBD/Overkill so you can mix and match BMS in the one larger pack.

Multi BMS Alpha code now released.
Update: Alpha V2.16 more info here

I completed and implement the initial design, the data is now combined from the slaves as per the design.
I have made many improvements and made the code more robust, see the above link for more info.

Future plans include adding Multi BMS support for JBD/Overkill so you can mix and match BMS in the one larger pack.
thanks for doing this. What happens when one of the slaves or master stops accepting charge such as from a high cell voltage?

thanks for doing this. What happens when one of the slaves or master stops accepting charge such as from a high cell voltage?
As per the design:
359 OR the Alarms (this may have some negative impacts but seems the safest option) IMPLEMENTED

Any BMS alarm for the master or slaves will be sent to the inverter.
Any alarm including slaves will set 0A for Discharge and Change and turn off all flags.

Hi! Thanks for all the great work! Do you have plans to support RS485 pylontech protocol with JK BMS for supported inverters in the future?

Hi! Thanks for all the great work! Do you have plans to support RS485 pylontech protocol with JK BMS for supported inverters in the future?
It's on my radar but not something that has many requests or any Patreon supporters, so I haven't progressed with it.

It's on my radar but not something that has many requests or any Patreon supporters, so I haven't progressed with it.
Thanks for the reply. I really hope one day you will be able to make/release it as all of the voltronic inverters don’t support pylontech over CAN.

Some support by the community would really help this project come to life one day.

Back