diy solar

diy solar

Just got some 80 VOC panels - Solar charger questions

smalenfant

I'm trying to get my shed powered via solar (12x24). I got my hands on 9 145W panels with have a 80 Volt. That seems a bit high but seems like it was good price to get started.

I really like to have an all-in-one system but the max input is 145V. Can I put all these panels in parallel to stay within operating range and would that work OK?
Seems like that could be expansive (combiner box?).

I don't need to use all the panels. Maybe I could start with 4 and maybe add an addition solar controller later?

Looking for suggestion. Thank you.

yes, you can put them all in parallel.

What make model panel is at 80V and only 145W?? That seems crazy.

yes, you can put them all in parallel.

What make model panel is at 80V and only 145W?? That seems crazy.
They were used into a commercial solar farm.
How we you put them in parallel? I pretty see only the 4 to 1 combiner cables. Maybe I need to watch more Youtube...

Don't go over the rated amps of your controler, I have 3ea 210 amp 24 volt panels that are about 10 amps each in parallel, my charge controler can do a 100 volts and 40 amps, in full sun I get 35 amps, open circuit volts of panels is 35 so if I was in series I would be over 100 volts

How we you put them in parallel? I pretty see only the 4 to 1 combiner cables. Maybe I need to watch more Youtube...
Post a picture of the sticker on the back of the panel if you want this double checked. 145w at 80v seems pretty crazy. I would think a solar farm would use bigger panels. I have 435w at 86voc around 6amp from a commercial solar farm. The high VOC is awkward, but if you look for a 450v aio, you can get a good balance of series/parallel. With my voc of 86 I went with a 450v voltronix (infinisolar VII 6k) common name mpp lvx6048/ sungold power 6048. There are other issues going that big, so it may be overkill with being in a small shed.

Don't go over the rated amps of your controler, I have 3ea 210 amp 24 volt panels that are about 10 amps each in parallel, my charge controler can do a 100 volts and 40 amps, in full sun I get 35 amps, open circuit volts of panels is 35 so if I was in series I would be over 100 volts
I was looking into the Growatt 24V SPF 3000TL LVM and seems like it can take up to 2Kw. Does list 80A which I do think ~55A would be needed for all panels.
Post a picture of the sticker on the back of the panel if you want this double checked. 145w at 80v seems pretty crazy. I would think a solar farm would use bigger panels. I have 435w at 86voc around 6amp from a commercial solar farm. The high VOC is awkward, but if you look for a 450v aio, you can get a good balance of series/parallel. With my voc of 86 I went with a 450v voltronix (infinisolar VII 6k) common name mpp lvx6048/ sungold power 6048. There are other issues going that big, so it may be overkill with being in a small shed.
Here's a link to the spec (instead of the picture): http://www.solardesigntool.com/comp...on/2369/STL-145/specification-data-sheet.html

These are not that big in size and I can fit 8 on top of it. I will have to run some AC/heat to keep the batteries happy (Atlanta area).

First, if there are more than 2 in parallel, you need to put string fuses or breakers on each one. You may want to review this:

With that many in parallel, I would seriously consider a combiner box...

Those are unique panels.... Very high voltage and very low current. The good news is that the current will be low. (Isc=2.68A). The total current for all 9 panels will only be 24.12A.
Seems a bit unique and I think they had a good price.
First, if there are more than 2 in parallel, you need to put string fuses or breakers on each one. You may want to review this:

With that many in parallel, I would seriously consider a combiner box...
Thank you for this.

What about using 2 charge controllers instead? Could I use those 4 to 1 branch adapters (with fuses)?

Those are unique panels.... Very high voltage and very low current. The good news is that the current will be low. (Isc=2.68A). The total current for all 9 panels will only be 24.12A.
I agree with filter guy, and from what I read on the growatt, it should work with all in parallel. The fusing above 2 strings is the main complication, but not a huge deal. I'm using DC breakers on a din rail, which are nice anyways to disconnect panel from scc for servicing/safety.
2 units seems overkill with the panels you have so far. With 9 panels you would still want fuse/breaker on almost everything since you have to parallel all the panels.

Seems a bit unique and I think they had a good price.

Thank you for this.

What about using 2 charge controllers instead? Could I use those 4 to 1 branch adapters (with fuses)?
Sure... you could do that, but like @Bigtruckin85 said, that seems like overkill.

For 9 panels, You could always have a couple of 4-to-one branches feed into a 3-to-one (With a fuse on each panel).... but I really do not like ganging up the splitters like that.

Check mine out. Voc is 93.9V! I am, of course, running them all in parallel to a MPPT controller.

Attachments

• Transform Panels.jpg
    Transform Panels.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 26
Interesting. There is a whole class of panels out there that I was not aware of. I learn something new almost every day!!!
These panels have over 10,000 tiny cells and 70 parallel connections per module, making them truly shade tolerant. They deliver near-linear partial shading response. They are a very odd duck. Unfortunately, they are no longer manufactured.

I got to ask this because I can't find information about it. Can I use 2 to 1 branch connectors and then connect to the combiner box? It seems hard to find combiner box which have mode than 4 or 6 breakers.

I got to ask this because I can't find information about it. Can I use 2 to 1 branch connectors and then connect to the combiner box? It seems hard to find combiner box which have mode than 4 or 6 breakers.
Yes, but the fuses have to be *before* the combiner. There would be no need for the fuses on the 'combined' conductor.

Yes, but the fuses have to be *before* the combiner. There would be no need for the fuses on the 'combined' conductor.
I thought I wouldn't need the fuse because I would use only 2 panels in parallel before the combiner. Trying to apply the rules I learn along the way. Don't want to burn the shed down either.

Ok, I might have found an MPPT that will work with 2 series here, might make thing easier for me.

EPEVER Tracer 5420AN (6420AN and 8420AN would work too). Rated for 200V.

Good choice?

Back