diy solar

diy solar

Lesson learned… Again…

LithiumCanuck

When someone diagnoses a system that isn't working as it should, I always say don't assume anything and start with the basics... Last week I installed some new bluetooth toys so I could check everything live from my chair un thé living room. The same day, I noticed with these same instruments that the charge current was very low. So I looked at all my devices settings and since I ran out of time I thought I'd look at that next week and left. Arriving at my cottage this morning, I started my work like in the good old days. after 7.8 seconds of checking I came across this 40 amp fuse I installed in 2017....... I’m having a beer, then I’m going to torque every screw that I can find….

E6E2F8CB-3218-409A-BB08-1121A64FA51C.jpeg

When someone diagnoses a system that isn't working as it should, I always say don't assume anything and start with the basics... Last week I installed some new bluetooth toys so I could check everything live from my chair un thé living room. The same day, I noticed with these same instruments that the charge current was very low. So I looked at all my devices settings and since I ran out of time I thought I'd look at that next week and left. Arriving at my cottage this morning, I started my work like in the good old days. after 7.8 seconds of checking I came across this 40 amp fuse I installed in 2017....... I’m having a beer, then I’m going to torque every screw that I can find….

View attachment 98128
It may also be due to the junction between the fuse and its holder? It seems to me that it is simply compressed and 40A is already a significant energy flow.

It may also be due to the junction between the fuse and its holder? It seems to me that it is simply compressed and 40A is already a significant energy flow.
Could be… But unfortunately with this amount of melted plastic, it’s impossible to know…

Look into the Class T fuse holders. I just installed a Blue Sea Systems 5002 Class T 350a fuse / fuse holder onto my motorhome and I like that it has huge blocks to put the connector lugs onto, and the tabs on the fuse are big thick chunks of aluminum, and have big 3/8" bolts for both the fuse and the lugs...

Ref:

And in my case, a 350a fuse (of course yours is way smaller):

Good thing nothing bad happened on your little melt down there, always great to catch those things in time like you did hehe...

Last edited:
Last edited:
You are lucky not finding your investment in fire using not appropriate fuses and holders. What you posted on picture that is bad idea for 48V battery bank system

View attachment 98128
Drinking n working on electronics is not advisable. I saw My Stupidvisor stiff a non insulated screw driver n short a 480 bus bar n it liquified the screwdriver into what looked kind of like a shotgun burst. Good thing his glasses were tough; saved his eyes…

View attachment 98128
First rule of electricity: do not cheap out on safety precautions. My main system fuse is a Class-T fuse. This is there to protect against a dead short. Everything else is either a MEGA fuse (for higher current devices) or an ATO fuse. Either way, everything is on properly crimped lugs.

Edit: the wire clamp is a joke for stranded wire. OP should perform Voltage drops on all the breakers, fuses, connections at full load, and might as well check the temperature too.
I seriously hope nobody is using stranded wires in any type of connectors without using logs or silver plated copper ferrules (with that kind of connectors)

Attachments

• FC2727EA-61DC-4D39-9255-ABEC70BE52B1.jpeg
    FC2727EA-61DC-4D39-9255-ABEC70BE52B1.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 26
Back