diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO, well there goes the prices

jvbutter01

Just heard on Biz news, Rivian automotive will start using LiFePo batteries in there new trucks. Due to Nickle supply. Wonder how this will effect the smaller batteries we all purchase.

... Rivian automotive will start using LiFePo... Wonder how this will effect the smaller batteries...
After the initial shortage price spike, wider use is always good news, price wise. PV panels aren't cheap because no one wants them.;)

I guess that we will see.
I might want to get my order in sooner than planned.

Rivian is currently only able to produce about 200 vehicles a week, if you believe their leadership.
They are really focused on delivering for Amazon and not on the pickup, so I don't think they will be a major player in the LFP game for at least 2 years.
They simply cannot produce enough to impact the market.

Yes all autos are reduced factory output, just today Toyota announced reducing their output due to supply issues. We will see how this all plays out. Electronic chips are in short supply, I haven't seen a price go up, just device shortages.

LFP Cells really will not be affected as they contain no nickel and of course no cobalt.
LFP Factories are being announced in US & Europe already and more to follow. Some will also be coupled with battery recyclers while others will be making specialized cells. For those unaware, the IP Rights on LFP are up in April, so now it breaks out into the world.

The big "gotcha" will be securing "domestic" supplies of the required lithium etc. There has sadly been a great deal of footdragging in some regions with that regard, so supply constraints will be a general issue until that is resolved.

There will impact on LFP cell price and availability as EV makers are planning to switch to LFP to deal with nickle supply issues.

Just heard on Biz news, Rivian automotive will start using LiFePo batteries in there new trucks. Due to Nickle supply. Wonder how this will effect the smaller batteries we all purchase.
Tesla is already producing a LOT of cars with LFP in Shanghai. Rivian doesn't produce enough vehicles to affect prices. Tesla is having a new factory built by their suppliers.

Back