diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 battery automatic updater

If you have an EG4 Communications Hub (particularly if you install the hub updates) you may have to install the battery firmware updates as the RS485 port Pins 7&8 baud rate was changed from 9600 to 19200 in the hub. The BMS update also change the RS485 port Pins 7&8 baud to 19200.
Pins 1&2 remain at 9600

Add me to the list who didn't get a case either...

Also wondering how to tell what firmware version is loaded on it? Nothing marked in/on the box or on the updater.
I agree, this should be notated upon receipt. BTW, mine is on the way. I will let you know which version I receive.

No, actually, we don't recommend updating if they're working fine.
Is the new firmware behind the "Lifepower4 51.2V 100ah Mosfet False Fault Alarm"? When dealing with tech support yesterday, was told this was common problem with a recent batch of batteries. I assume that like mine, they were shipped with the most recent firmware.

It has been brought to my attention that some of the auto-update tools can be received without the plastic shell. However, if the PCB is covered in the plastic casing, they should still work as designed. The firmware that should be on this tool is v3.37.

It has been brought to my attention that some of the auto-update tools can be received without the plastic shell. However, if the PCB is covered in the plastic casing, they should still work as designed. The firmware that should be on this tool is v3.37.
So don't take the plastic wrapping off it?

I’m pretty sure this updater tool was made for dumb old farts like me. I have an old laptop that I have loaded the BMS software on and have eventually got it to work. But! Can’t update my batteries to save my life. Can’t spell and have bad grammar also. I can repair heavy equipment though.

I have two problems with my 6 Lifepower4 batteries.
1. After a few months during the winter the SOC indicators will get out of balance. I will remedy this by changing with my generator to 57.5v and the will all reset to 100%
2. I burned up Two BMS’s so I’m sure the replacements don’t match the first 4.

So I’m pretty sure I could use one of these updaters.

The BMS_Tools software downloadable from the EG4 website can update the firmware in the batteries (I prefer it as I don't need to change the address on the battery or disconnect cables). The Lifepower4 battery automatic updater is restricted to updating with the latest (supposedly) V3.37 firmware. Won't do any good if EG4 comes out with a V3.38 or later update.

Cell balancing voltage is set to 3.45 volts (3.45 x 16 cells = 55.2 volts). Once cells start to approach 3.4 volts or so (SOC will hopefully be at least 95%) you need to decrease the charge voltage to between 55.5 and 56.5 volts to slowly finish the charge without causing a cell overvoltage protection (set to 3.6 volts). You will see charge current decrease and cells start balancing as the BMS resets SOC to a true !00%

Bulk charge using 57.5 is ok if you are paying attention to the batteries. At some point in the charge process you do need to decrease the charge voltage to what some will call an absorption or float charge, Bulk charge voltage gets you close to a full charge very rapidly (hopefully above 95% SOC) and the absorption/float charge eases you to the finish without causing any protection setpoints to trip which will interrupt/stop further charging.

Back