diy solar

diy solar

LINE or LOAD?

zulu

For the breaker connections between my charge controller and battery bank, which one is considered LINE and which one LOAD?

You are concerned about failure path which is higher/riskier from the battery. I would treat the battery as LINE. Assume this is in regards to polarised breakers.

For the breaker connections between my charge controller and battery bank, which one is considered LINE and which one LOAD?
I would want pictures and a description what you are attempting to connect before I would determine power flow.

If its just a charge controller and not an All in One inverter then the current only flows one direction. From the Charge Controller (line) to the battery (load) Unless I'm missing something, current from the battery does not flow backwards through the charge controller to the solar panels.

In a theoretical setup between battery and inverter, is the battery the line side and inverter the load side then?

In a theoretical setup between battery and inverter, is the battery the line side and inverter the load side then?
Yes
The larger source of power (when power is available from both ends) should always be the line side of the breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rho
Solar/SCC is power source and batteries are power source. Batteries are capable of much higher current so they are line. You are trying to protect for an upset condition.
This is why I prefer to put a fuse between scc and busbar and use a double pole breaker as a means of disconnect between pv panels and scc.

Solar/SCC is power source and batteries are power source. Batteries are capable of much higher current so they are line. You are trying to protect for an upset condition.

Can't recall where but sure this has been covered in a thread on breakers.
You are correct. Too early for my brain, I guess.
I corrected it.
I said it right in my second post. lol
Thanks

Last edited:
Circuit Breaker is OCP and a disconnect in one package.
Not to mention that by design fuses are the "weak" point in the circuit. I've replaced many more worn out fuses over the years-even when there was nothing wrong with the current draw in the circuit-than I have replaced failed CB's.

Not to mention that by design fuses are the "weak" point in the circuit. I've replaced many more worn out fuses over the years-even when there was nothing wrong with the current draw in the circuit-than I have replaced failed CB's.
Sadly I have replaced both, probably equally.

I probably blown ~15 fuses in my life.
~5 of them realizing that cheap Drok dc2dc converters were a waste of money.
~5 of them had to do with trying to boil the kettle and make toast at the same time.
2 in cars that I had done wiring mods/repairs on before I learned the value of wire loom.
2 or 3 in a microwave that had a defective latch that triggered the crowbar circuit.
I don't remember ever having a fuse wear out.

Last edited:
Yep, I guess it's nice to have a switch to turn things on and off, but if someone is asking which is load/line side I automatically assume the worse; they are using one of those cheap polarized breakers. IMO, between a battery bank and SCC is not the place for a polarized breaker.

Back