diy solar

diy solar

Looking to buy my first solar setup and need some help picking it out!

TheDooDahMan

I am looking to buy solar for my van soon as my vent van is almost installed and will need to be wired. I would like to keep it under $1300 but the cheaper the better!
What I want to power
-12V Vent Van
-Charging phone, laptop, some camera batteries
-My Xbox and a 12V TV (I’m 19 don’t judge me lol)
That’s really it honestly, maybe a diesel heater in the future if I need to upgrade from the Mr Buddy.

Like I said I don’t know what to pick, not sure wether to go DIY or just buy a power bank, maybe a power bank and dedicated fixed panels on top instead of those fold out panels? I’ll be in the mountains most the time so cold weather, snow, ice, and lack of sun is a big factor! (I think?)

Any input is helpful! Thank you!

IG: @thedoodahman_

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 2
Link #1 in my signature. Do the energy audit, and the system will design itself.

A $1300 budget doesn't mean anything. The system you need will cost what it costs. Designing/installing the wrong system will always cost more in the end. Once you design the system you need, then you can figure out how to piecemeal it as needed to address budget/cashflow.

Well, if "Cheaper is better" then there are a few places you can save money and a few places you can save space, but it's really, REALLY hard to do both.

A pre-built will save you the most space but you'll lose out on capacity over a complete DIY setup. DIY battery is usually 30% or more cheaper than a pre-built LFP battery and you can get MUCH higher capacities in the same physical space.

As Eggo mentions, grab the Power Audit form and run through it a few times. The first pass throw everything you could ever want in there. Aircon, jacuzzi, MargaritaMaster-9000, whatever. The second pass will be the "I absolutely NEED this to live" which is going to be restrictive but cheaper. The 3rd pass you can be more reasonable to your wants and needs and now that you've had a little practice it'll come together nicely.

You're probably looking at a simple 12v system so you don't have to deal with buck converters and the like. Keeping a 12v system for your 12v devices keeps things simple. For your needs it sounds like a 1200w inverter would be more than plenty so don't panic about that.

As for solar panels, you're going to take a performance hit if you lay them flat but it's MUCH easier when you're out & about to not have to pack 20lb panels out and get them set up. Used panels online are averaging about 250-ish watts for $100 so grab your measuring tape and figure out how many panels you can physically fit up there. Yes, there are lighter flexible panels but as a general rule they suck and are overpriced for the convenience of the lighter weight. Remember that your budget has to include things like breakers and wire and racking.

Plan out where you're going to stick stuff too. A dozen 3000Ah batteries sounds great until you have no passenger seat anymore and you're dragging your axle everywhere. The biggest advantage that pre-builts have is that they can stick all the parts needed (battery, SCC, inverter, etc) into a physically smaller space. You can also roll something in between like a Licetti Power Box unit which seems to be about the best of both worlds. You'll still want an exterior SCC for your panels as the one built in is only 10a which is pretty useless. I have a 40a SCC I rigged up for mine that just plugs into one of the Anderson ports on the side so I can get more panel involved. I even managed to get 300Ah of battery inside there so it lasts all week long on the camping trips.

Rough budget numbers assuming going the cheapest & simplest route:
Licetti AC Power Box - $200
4x 304Ah LFP cells - $600
100A 4s 12v BMS - $70
Cheap-ass 40a MPPT controller - $100
2x 250w used solar panels - $200
12v fuse block, Anderson connectors, fuses, 14g wire, hammer crimper, lugs, etc - $150
12v 5Kw diesel heater - $100 (I know WWAAYY too much about those if you need tips)

You'll probably hit about $1300 or so for the complete solar end system, maybe less if you look around for sales and the like.

And post pictures, we LOVE that stuff on here! ? (y)

Rough budget numbers assuming going the cheapest & simplest route:
Licetti AC Power Box - $200
4x 304Ah LFP cells - $600
100A 4s 12v BMS - $70
Cheap-ass 40a MPPT controller - $100
2x 250w used solar panels - $200
12v fuse block, Anderson connectors, fuses, 14g wire, hammer crimper, lugs, etc - $150
12v 5Kw diesel heater - $100 (I know WWAAYY too much about those if you need tips)
I’d add a classT fuse and holder, an inverter, appropriately sized SCC to battery wires and appropriately sized battery to inverter wires to the list. That adds $150 - $300.

I’d add a classT fuse and holder, an inverter, appropriately sized SCC to battery wires and appropriately sized battery to inverter wires to the list. That adds $150 - $300.
FTFY! ?

Yes, in a van the wire runs are going to be pretty short which is why I rounded it into the wire before hand.

Like I said I don’t know what to pick, not sure wether to go DIY or just buy a power bank,

Given that we're on the DIY solar forum I think I know how most folks here would do it. Folks on a hypothetical Power Bank Forum would likely have other ideas. :)

maybe a power bank and dedicated fixed panels on top instead of those fold out panels? I’ll be in the mountains most the time so cold weather, snow, ice, and lack of sun is a big factor! (I think?)

IMO if snow and lack of sun will be factors I would build the system around the alternator and augment with mounted solar. "Power banks", especially on the lower end, often have DC input limitations that hobble their ability to charge from the vehicle so I would DIY.

What I want to power

Listing them is a start, but not the whole thing. The system will be sized according to your daily power requirements and ability to recharge.

I am still mid-coffee but will spitball. Avoiding any complex DIY, a functional budget install might look like:

* 100Ah of self-heated LiFePO4, ~$450
* Kisae DMT1250, ~$250 <-- can be derated to <50A if your older alternator complains
* 250w used panel, $85 (or 2x$250 since they are cheap and you have the roofspace)
* wiring, fuses, mounts, etc

A DIY setup like this would charge off the alternator at >600w. A powerstation would charge at up to 150w off the ciggy port.

Back