diy solar

diy solar

Love this Dual Fuse. Any reason why everybody not using it?

What does that mean? Are you saying ANL fuses are better than other types?

No, but they are cheap and highly available. It's easy to make a reliable connection with them.

Doing it DIY with copper stock allows you to use multiple fuses, so more contact area

Most of those charts with higher ratings are based on vehicle installation and pretty much assume open air conductors, no conduit or enclosures really.

They are all far above the levels deemed safe by nfpa and nec charts for wire ampacity in or on buildings.

Most of those charts with higher ratings are based on vehicle installation and pretty much assume open air conductors, no conduit or enclosures really.

They are all far above the levels deemed safe by nfpa and nec charts for wire ampacity in or on buildings.
Yes, wire in direct sun, on rooftops in metal conduit meet far different ampacity than strands strung across an open area between buildings.
Wires are rated based on the temp limits of the insulation, and must be derated based on installation scenarios.

Attachments

• 40A.jpg
    40A.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
According to the chart my 6 AWG only carries 37 amps so it won't cut it for my 40A SCC? It's only 4-5 feet.
From the link..... use an nec ampacity chart for all building wire projects. If you do this and check actual voltage drop with a calculator using actual distances, you will have a solod irrefutable answer amd sure course of action.

There is no other good way except putting it in place and measuring V-drop or doing the math outright like an actual engineer.

The calculators are what is needed. (Im terrible at maths, but design solid reputable power sysstems :( )

Charts for v-drop have steps or range or extraneous usages that do not apply...... dont do it. With a calculator you can make fine descisions where it may be close or a chart hasnt enough data.

These are the tools i use to start basic design of the conductors within a power system amd its integration.

I absolutely promise, #6 is fine for your charge controller feed to the battery. There is 20+ Amps of overhead in that circuit, continuous.....

Oops, from the powerstream chart link.

"This data is useful for high frequency AC engineering. When high frequency AC is conducted by a wire there is a tendency for the current to flow along the outside of the wire. This increases the effective resistance. The frequency listed in the table shows the frequency at which the calculated skin depth is equal to the radius of the wire, and is an indication that above this frequency you should start considering the skin effect when calculating the wire's resistance."

Oops, from the powerstream chart link. It is for high frequency signal or power conductors.

"This data is useful for high frequency AC engineering. When high frequency AC is conducted by a wire there is a tendency for the current to flow along the outside of the wire. This increases the effective resistance. The frequency listed in the table shows the frequency at which the calculated skin depth is equal to the radius of the wire, and is an indication that above this frequency you should start considering the skin effect when calculating the wire's resistance."
Dc current has no freq..... no added resistance to the circuit.

According to the chart my 6 AWG only carries 37 amps so it won't cut it for my 40A SCC? It's only 4-5 feet.
6 at 4 feet per conductor, or 8feet round trip should flow over 60amps...
You are reading the maximum power transmission field... for power companies long distance high frequency high voltage spes...

Note the OP listing of the MRBF fuse type. This type can have an AIC of 10,000 amps (maybe some are 20,000?), where the ANL type (and others) may only have a rating of 5 or 6,000 amps. I remember seeing an inline fuse that was only 1,000a. Anyway, just pointing out that if you dead-short a lithium battery bank, and an arc could be sustained where the fuse link "used to be", then the MRBF type might be better insurance. I know a Class T is best, but they are pretty expensive. Not that MRBF's are exactly cheap!

I reckon the AIC is different for AC and DC. Maybe someone with some expertise can weigh in on whether the MRBF fuses are significantly safer, or only marginally.

diy solar

diy solar
Back