diy solar

diy solar

LV5048 Kaput

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
Today both my MPP-Solar LV5048's died.

Both are in parallel and ka-put.

Any ideas for trouble shooting?

The system was working perfectly and then just stopped. The system is capable of 10 kW, and at the time had about 1200 watts A/C output load, and about 800 watts DC-PV input.

I have good DC V. As soon as they are connected to the inverters the V is basically 1 VDC. I'm thinking dead capacitors.

Some sad pictures of DCV and ACV readings;

Are you saying the PV falls to one volt? Sounds like the solar charger side of the unit is fried. Could the array Voc have exceeded the LV5048's max PV voltage? If it is pulling the array to 1 volt there will be a lot of current flowing through the PV wire which you could measure with a clamp meter.

If battery voltage, then yikes. That can really only mean big current and the BMS tripping. If that's the case perhaps the inverter side is fried, ie shorted transistors.

Last edited:
Have you tried bypassing the bms..
That's what is next.

Are you saying the PV falls to one volt? Sounds like the solar charger side of the unit is fried. Could the array Voc have exceeded the LV5048's max PV voltage? If it is pulling the array to 1 volt there will be a lot of current flowing through the PV wire which you could measure with a clamp meter.

If battery voltage, then yikes. That can really only mean big current and the BMS tripping. If that's the case perhaps the inverter side is fried, ie shorted transistors.
Not the PV, the battery. I suspect the BMSes.

Yuuuup, all the BMSs' mosfetts shit themself.

Back to the basic setup. The BMS is now just a cell monitor.

@jasonhc73

I guess that is good news but it stinks the BMS failed. What BMS were you using?
Thanks
ANT-BMS sold by ICGOGO.
See my thread BYD-BMS;

Sorry to hear that sir, small comfort, but better the BMS than the inverters or the batteries.
Like the man said, "Barn's burnt down... now I can see the moon."
Best...

Back