diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 fan bearing?

EastTexCowboy

Solar Wizard
I just started getting a noise from one of my inverters (the left one) that sounds to me like maybe a fan bearing. It's a little higher pitched than the normal fan noise and seems to come and go. I seems to be louder when listening by the lower right side of the inverter. Since this is between the two inverters I guess it could be coming from the lower left side of the other one, but it doesn't sound that way.

I've had computer fans make a similar noise when the bearing was going out or sometimes just from dust in the fan when blowing it out resolved it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I haven’t experienced this on my 6500s. Can you pop the cover off when it’s making the noise to narrow it down which one might be going bad?

I found a bad idler bearing by just putting a length of small vinyl tubing in my good ear. I’m sure you can bad fan that way too.

I found a bad idler bearing by just putting a length of small vinyl tubing in my good ear. I’m sure you can bad fan that way too.
I've used similar methods. I've used the long screwdriver trick as @Zapper77 mentioned to isolate engine noises. I actually had an "engine stethoscope I got from Snap-on many years ago. The screwdriver worked better.

In this case I got lucky. Blew the fans out and they haven't made the noise since. Fans will sometimes make weird noises when they get dust in them.

I've used similar methods. I've used the long screwdriver trick as @Zapper77 mentioned to isolate engine noises. I actually had an "engine stethoscope I got from Snap-on many years ago. The screwdriver worked better.

In this case I got lucky. Blew the fans out and they haven't made the noise since. Fans will sometimes make weird noises when they get dust in them.
Dust? Impossible, it has those amazingly effective, low restrictive filters!? Yeah, it probably got lopsided. Good to know WHEN mine does it.

I just started getting a noise from one of my inverters (the left one) that sounds to me like maybe a fan bearing. It's a little higher pitched than the normal fan noise and seems to come and go. I seems to be louder when listening by the lower right side of the inverter. Since this is between the two inverters I guess it could be coming from the lower left side of the other one, but it doesn't sound that way.

I've had computer fans make a similar noise when the bearing was going out or sometimes just from dust in the fan when blowing it out resolved it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've had good luck on noisy computer fans before, taking them out, peel off the sticker on the center to expose the motor shaft, then pack in some silicone grease with finger, while turning the fan blade a bit, then clean off the sticker surface really clean and dry and putting the sticker back on (or a piece of duct tape if the sticker no good anymore), to keep dust from getting in..

I've done this in a bind (it has worked for me several times to quiet down noisy bearings on cooling fans), you can also take a picture of the sticker of the fan and just go search for that model and p/n or get the specs off it and order another of the same or similar, as long as it's right like diameter of mounting flange, RPM, volts/amps, 2-wire, 3-wire, 4-wire, etc...

But usually they have a p/n and brand, and I can easily locate the exact same fan somewhere.

If you were not sure whether the noise is fan noise, you could bench test them one at a time and see if they all sound the same. Also pay attention to when the fans should be off, or at low speed and see if the noise you hear is quieter, or fan rpm change corresponds to the noise you are hearing. Perhaps the high pitch noise is a failing mosfet or transistor (corresponding to the switching frequency)...

Couldn’t you just unplug one fan to find one with the noise?

Also haven’t people upgraded these fans with more efficient ones? Better air flow and quieter operation?

Couldn’t you just unplug one fan to find one with the noise?

Also haven’t people upgraded these fans with more efficient ones? Better air flow and quieter operation?
I could if I wanted to take the cover off, and yes, I could replace the fan. For now all I had to do was blow it out and the noise went away. I'm probably going to upgrade these inverters within the next year and they're in the garage so the normal noise they make isn't a big deal.

I could if I wanted to take the cover off, and yes, I could replace the fan. For now all I had to do was blow it out and the noise went away. I'm probably going to upgrade these inverters within the next year and they're in the garage so the normal noise they make isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I have even seen if a lot of dust and lint gets stuck on the actual blades of the fan it can slow down the airflow and can make the fans sound funny, could get a weird whistle or something...

Back