diy solar

diy solar

measurement unit consensus.

I just do hope that all of our dear readers are reassessing their clinging on to exotic measurement units.

THe best I can give on short notice is that @FilterGuy has the most brilliant collection of resources. Yet alienating new comers like my self being intimidated by the conversion process needed to make heads or tails of those resources.

and since we are now a bit more concrete the earlier image presented
Considering this beast was designed in the 60's there's no telling what they aren't telling us now.
View attachment 123805
This is the SR 71 Blackbird.
One of my personal best.

I used to fly one of these bad boys while joy riding was still cool.
So I cut an opening in the fense of area 51. Then I managed to kill the aliens that were there to stop me from breaking and entering.

And then holy moly.
This machine needs like an hour to get ready to fly.

But luckily I was not alone when we sneaked in at this top secret location.

Nah my crew had to only fend off like 3 different species of aliens and like 10 thousand US army men.
Non of them got hurt though, except for that first few aliens and that it coming.

Last edited:
I just do hope that all of our dear readers are reassessing their clinging on to exotic measurement units.

THe best I can give on short notice is that @FilterGuy has the most brilliant collection of resources. Yet alienating new comers like my self being intimidated by the conversion process needed to make heads or tails of those resources.
  • I am pretty sure every place I use Fahrenheit I also use Centigrade.
  • Volts, Amps Watts, Watt-hours, ohms, etc are all pretty global.
  • Consequently, I assume this criticism is referring to AWG wire sizing and/or the few places I use imperial distance units.
I personally like the metric system better than the imperial system. Furthermore, I use the metric system a lot in my wood shop (my other hobby). However, my guess is that the US audience on this forum is much larger than the audience from the rest of the world. Even if it is not the largest, it is a huge audience and this audience is most familiar with the imperial system. It can be debated whether this is good or bad, but it is a fact and I have no desire to use this forum to try to change that fact. I certainly don't want to use this forum to disparage other people because of a measurement system they happen to use.

EDIT/addition: For a US audience, purchasing wire is usually (Almost always) done in imperial lengths and AWG sizes. If I changed everything to metric and mm^2, They would have to translate in order to purchase. Consequently, regardless of what measurement system is used, someone will have to translate.

My goal for the resources is for people to learn the concepts. That is why I almost always show the math or charts I use to get the results. It allows people to follow along and learn. If an unfamiliar distance unit or wire sizing intimidates someone to the point they can't read the document and understand the concepts, I probably would have failed in teaching them no matter what units I use.

Having said all of that, I will keep the feedback in mind and see what I can do as I write additional resources or modify existing resources.
EDIT/addition: One concern is that if I try to use both metric and imperial in all cases the write-up would become very cumbersome and possibly confusing to read.

Last edited:
1670611170997.jpeg
for machine components and tea, i like Celsius
for human touchable things and air, i like Fahrenheit

AWG is more familiar to me, but has a very poor intuitive relation to ampere capacity (ampacity)

mm^2 or millimeter squared is much easier for my brain to relate to amp carrying ability of conductors

really impressive. And in the spirit of keeping the topic.. well on topic.. Did you use metric or exotic units?
ANyway. Is not it by now that we have nuke plants that are next generation that need to actiivly kept online? as such to prevent run away scenarios of the past?
I'm sorry, my bad...staying on topic...we built S.O.N.G.S. 2&3 using the Imperial system and cunt hairs. So yes exotic as well. ?

my guess is that the US audience on this forum is much larger than the audience from the rest of the world.
SAE units are fine by me, I suspect that many that come to this forum are prepared for most of the dialogue to be in English, be US customary units, and to translate each as needed to completely understand, and apply. Online translations/conversions are readily available.
Having grown up during a time of transistion, I am happy to work in metric, SI, pied-du-roi, imperial, SAE, even decimal-feet! (you want to drive someone crazy leave a decimal-foot tape measure laying around a work site...!)
Carry on.

SAE units are fine by me, I suspect that many that come to this forum are prepared for most of the dialogue to be in English, be US customary units, and to translate each as needed to completely understand, and apply. Online translations/conversions are readily available.
Having grown up during a time of transistion, I am happy to work in metric, SI, pied-du-roi, imperial, SAE, even decimal-feet! (you want to drive someone crazy leave a decimal-foot tape measure laying around a work site...!)
Carry on.
I agree. We in the US shouldn't be the only ones that know how to translate units.

Your decimal foot tape won't bother me!

Your decimal foot tape won't bother me!
LOL yeah, back in the day, doing land survey work...left the tape on a workbench and this lead to a fiasco!
- some N.A. units are 'nearly metric' Acre-feet to Cubic Rods is close to x10 (9.697 actually) jk. cubic rods

diy solar

diy solar
Back