diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Classic 150 stuck in Resting mode

r5t0ut21

I have a Midnite Classic 150 charging a diy 48v battery pack. For some reason it is stuck in Resting even with bright sunlight and not fully charged. I found a reason for resting table and it shows 111 which is normal power up. Probably would have helped if I knew about the table before I shut down the system and restarted. I've tried doing a factory reset. It didn't work. I can charge the batteries with a charger, just not with the charge controller.

I can measure +/- 140 volts PV input with the Classic off, but it drops to zero with the Classic on. Any clues?

Check your PV wiring. A loss of voltage under load can be caused by loose or corroded connections.

Check your PV wiring. A loss of voltage under load can be caused by loose or corroded connections.
Thanks. I thought that too. I have a 4s3p PV setup. It's not likely that all 3 parallel strings are bad, especially since they have been working fine for months. I have 3 extra panels that I was able to lay out on the ground and confirm the problem is not the panels or the wiring to them. I also had a hard look at the combiner box and the wiring to the Classic. Somehow, I feel like it is hardware or software within the Classic.

If it's in the Classic, I can't help because I don't know it. Maybe someone else here does.
Do you have an amp meter? If the Classic is clamping the voltage down to 0 you should see a significant amperage draw through the PV supply when it does that. If the amps aren't there, but the voltage is 0, it again points to the PV not being able to supply the power for some reason. Bad breaker/bad fuse?

What are your absorb and float voltages set for? Absorb time?

Did you set it to solar = on

What MPPT mode?

End Amps? Do you have a Whizbang Jr?

What is ReBulk volts set to?

Days between bulk?

Try
MPPT MODE : Solar / on
Battery voltage : 48v
Absorb: 55.4v Time: 2 hours

Float : 54.4v

End Amps of 6

ReBulk volts: 55.2

Days between bulk: 0

Save that ... Then with sun on the array select Force Absorb. It should work.

If you are using the Midnite Classic Local Area Network App all of this is infinitely easier.

What are your absorb and float voltages set for? Absorb time?

Did you set it to solar = on

What MPPT mode?

End Amps? Do you have a Whizbang Jr?

What is ReBulk volts set to?

Days between bulk?

Try
MPPT MODE : Solar / on
Battery voltage : 48v
Absorb: 55.4v Time: 2 hours

Float : 54.4v

End Amps of 6

ReBulk volts: 55.2

Days between bulk: 0

Save that ... Then with sun on the array select Force Absorb. It should work.
I put in a support ticket. They thought it was an internal problem and told me to send it to them.

I haven't actually mailed it off yet, because I'm still looking for a suitable box. I'll hook it back up in the morning and give it one more try. Thanks

If it's in the Classic, I can't help because I don't know it. Maybe someone else here does.
Do you have an amp meter? If the Classic is clamping the voltage down to 0 you should see a significant amperage draw through the PV supply when it does that. If the amps aren't there, but the voltage is 0, it again points to the PV not being able to supply the power for some reason. Bad breaker/bad fuse?
Don't have an amp meter. I did trial bypass of the circuit breaker. No change

Back