diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

does anyone know the maximum short circuit current per mppt?
They don't specifically mention that in the specs that I can see. They do say in section 2.2 of the manual:

E. Design for a max input current of 30A MPPT1. The inverter will self-limit beyond 30A. If current exceeds 40A Isc limit, damage will occur.

That is the closest "spec" I saw. Presumably the limit on the other MPPTs would be lower as their max input current is lower too.

They don't specifically mention that in the specs that I can see. They do say in section 2.2 of the manual:

That is the closest "spec" I saw. Presumably the limit on the other MPPTs would be lower as their max input current is lower too.
thanks for that. It would be nice to know what it is for the other inputs.

does anyone know the maximum short circuit current per mppt?
Looks like the rated current for the mppts is 30A/22A/22A

1719332588551.png

By the way, can someone tell me why most newer AIOs have different amp ratings for the 2-3 mppt inputs??? Maybe someone from Midnite could chime in here and explain to me why it makes sense to not just use identical mppts for all 3 inputs? Genuinely curious as to the reason behind it... Or is it just a "chinese" quirk? :LOL:

It seems like Sol-Ark is the only AIO out there with identical ratings on all inputs.

@Halfcrazy @Robin Gudgel @SpongeboB Sinewave or anyone else have any thoughts?

I do realize that with larger solar panels these days (400-600 watt range) you do tend to be able to max out mppts with single strings, but if someone would want to put (30) HT450 panels on the One, and string them 5S2P on each input you would end up pretty much right at the rated amperage on mppt2 and mppt3. It's not a huge deal, but I could see some winter time clipping occur at times.

A question along with that. Is there any limitation as to the max power that can be handled by mppt1 on the One? For instance, could someone have (18) HT 450 panels on mppt1, stringed 9S2P? That would be ~450voc/20A (47.2voc x 9 = 424.8) for a total of 8,100 watts!

Looks like the rated current for the mppts is 30A/22A/22A

View attachment 224534

By the way, can someone tell me why most newer AIOs have different amp ratings for the 2-3 mppt inputs??? Maybe someone from Midnite could chime in here and explain to me why it makes sense to not just use identical mppts for all 3 inputs? Genuinely curious as to the reason behind it... Or is it just a "chinese" quirk? :LOL:

It seems like Sol-Ark is the only AIO out there with identical ratings on all inputs.

@Halfcrazy @Robin Gudgel @SpongeboB Sinewave or anyone else have any thoughts?

I do realize that with larger solar panels these days (400-600 watt range) you do tend to be able to max out mppts with single strings, but if someone would want to put (30) HT450 panels on the One, and string them 5S2P on each input you would end up pretty much right at the rated amperage on mppt2 and mppt3. It's not a huge deal, but I could see some winter time clipping occur at times.

A question along with that. Is there any limitation as to the max power that can be handled by mppt1 on the One? For instance, could someone have (18) HT 450 panels on mppt1, stringed 9S2P? That would be ~450voc/20A (47.2voc x 9 = 424.8) for a total of 8,100 watts!
Technically 30a*550v : 16.5kw

Technically 30a*550v : 16.5kw
The reason that I asked this specifically, is that Sol-Ark says the 15K's mppts are rated 26A x 425V (max in the PV operating range), which would give you 26x425 = 11.05kW. However, I was told (by Sol-Ark) that 5.66kW is the max PV power that each mppt will handle....

If you could really run full 30A at 550V on the One, you could literally run the full rated PV power EDIT* full rated AC output of the unit on a single mppt. Theoretically you should be able to.... but I question if you legitimately can in real world application...

Maybe @HighTechLab Dexter knows for sure on this?

P.S. not trying to derail the thread with my references to Sol-Ark, only using that as a reference point and reasoning for my questions.

The reason that I asked this specifically, is that Sol-Ark says the 15K's mppts are rated 26A x 425V (max in the PV operating range), which would give you 26x425 = 11.05kW. However, I was told (by Sol-Ark) that 5.66kW is the max PV power that each mppt will handle....

If you could really run full 30A at 550V on the One, you could literally run the full rated PV power EDIT* full rated AC output of the unit on a single mppt. Theoretically you should be able to.... but I question if you legitimately can in real world application...

P.S. not trying to derail the thread with my references to Sol-Ark, only using that as a reference point and reasoning for my questions.
The sol-ark rep told you wrong. Mine has no problem doing 8kW+ per input (as long as you don't exceed the PV input of all inputs combined).

that brings up another question on the MNAIO.

if it can only charge and discharge at 210a. so lets say 210x55=11.5kw, is the rest of the 15k from pv available for loads or export to grid? or no?

inquiring minds want to know

The 18kpv is a defective product and should be dropped. They need a replacement. That would help Midnite with increased volume, chances are the price would drop over time due to volume. SS is better off since the 18kpv is gone. And we get a better inverter option at a lower price.
Win, win, win.
Needs deleted, not true, not on subject.

that brings up another question on the MNAIO.

if it can only charge and discharge at 210a. so lets say 210x55=11.5kw, is the rest of the 15k from pv available for loads or export to grid? or no?

inquiring minds want to know

In general this is true of all the AIO.

They have some wattage of MPPT (allocated over several PV channels) feeding HV rail,
Some wattage of DC/DC converter between battery and HV rail,
And some wattage of DC/AC inverter fed by HV rail.

That makes them a good fit for installation with limited size AC breaker. They can harvest additional power, put it into and pull out of battery to sustain max export, or to supply loads.

Frankly, I find all the discussion about the MPPT voltage and the MPPT amperage to be quite annoying and fairly irrelevant to choosing an inverter. Before I chose an inverter, I would want to know exactly how much array space I have on the ground or rooftop and in what directions. Then I would try to find panels that most closely are the quality I want to buy and can most ideally fit into the available spaces. Knowing that, I can play out my serial strings and amps and see what inverter is a good match.

The next thing I find most important is how is the software on the inverter going to function to let me power my loads during the 24 hour period and save me money if I am grid tied and on TOU plan as well as if I have an NEM agreement.

Just about every review of these inverters that is posted on youtube shows you how to take them out of the box, attach them to the wall, hook up some wires and lets you see the guts. Barely any let you see how the unit operates in the real world to meet varying load needs thru the day.

Plus, I have to say the Luxpower 12k/EG4 18k PV is scary as an outdoors mount due to the number of fans and their location. They blast away and I can just see them getting full of dust and spider webs and spraying humidity filled air all through the unit. On the other hand, the Sol-Ark 15K fan and the Midnight use I believe only a single fan and it is internal in the unit. This is simply a superior design and cooling method compared to the EG4 18k PV for outdoor use.

So to me, the threads like this really miss the mark when it comes to living with any inverter for the next decade.

I want to install, set and forget. Not install, set, reset, replace fans, deal with dust and other problems.

Plus, I have to say the Luxpower 12k/EG4 18k PV is scary as an outdoors mount due to the number of fans and their location. They blast away and I can just see them getting full of dust and spider webs and spraying humidity filled air all through the unit. On the other hand, the Sol-Ark 15K fan and the Midnight use I believe only a single fan and it is internal in the unit. This is simply a superior design and cooling method compared to the EG4 18k PV for outdoor use.
Have you read the manual and physically seen one of these units? It is ip65 rated which means it is fully capable of standing water and dust in an outside environment. Furthermore the heat sinks and fans are in a completely separated compartment from the electronics. There is no way anything's getting into the delicate parts.
I am sure EG4 can make a video showing a hose held on one of these things for half an hour whilst it's producing full chat and not worrying about it ⛈️

Pretty bold statement. The megarevo based version seemed to have most people in agreement that it was a turd. I haven't seen a large consensus about the Lux version that makes it defective or didn't work for a lot of people. Im sure there have been some defective units, or a use case that isn't supported, but most people seem happy. I'm planning on buying one, so feel free to PM in your reply as to not derail this thread, just curious before i dive in if you have any links to threads or personal anecdote about why the 18kpv is defective.
Just do a search here for 18kpv problems. Then reconsider. Its pretty ridiculous.

In general this is true of all the AIO.

They have some wattage of MPPT (allocated over several PV channels) feeding HV rail,
Some wattage of DC/DC converter between battery and HV rail,
And some wattage of DC/AC inverter fed by HV rail.

That makes them a good fit for installation with limited size AC breaker. They can harvest additional power, put it into and pull out of battery to sustain max export, or to supply loads.
Thanks !

The 18kpv is a defective product and should be dropped. They need a replacement. That would help Midnite with increased volume, chances are the price would drop over time due to volume. SS is better off since the 18kpv is gone. And we get a better inverter option at a lower price.
Win, win, win.
Not sure how the 18kPV is defective, you must not own one.
It must be pretty amazing that I was able to push just around 24MWh of power and solar from a "defective product" with not a single issue or any downtime over the past year.

diy solar

diy solar
Back